Help getting in pop-up

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by Breadbox, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

> Ken1967
    The original one sat close to the door so, the canvas went around it. The new design has the mount welded to the frame so the canvas is not involved at all. Except for the welded support post, it all comes apart in less than a minute. Steve

2. PattieAM

PattieAM New Member

What about a set of straps/loops attached to the roof of your PUP? I don't know your wife's weight, but if it is primarily for balance, she wouldn't be putting full weight against the straps and no issues for the roof/supports. Something to think about.

3. Ken1967

Ken1967 Can't wait to Camp!

It must be secured to the cabinet structure... it has to have some strength.... on the other hand... the door frame being right there might give it added strength... I didn't see any PUPs with this on my trip to Custer State Park... sure saw lots of PUPs... a travel trailer had one... but it was bolted to the door frame.

4. nconniej52

nconniej52 One semi-retired DH and a cute blonde Shih tzu

[PU] We just purchased a pop up and I am in a power chair. I needed something for support to get in so I ordered a two step, step stool with a rail on the left side. I knew I needed something like they use in the hospital.
    I have ordered it and will get it soon. It will hold 600 lbs. We will put up the pup step and just use this. The support will be great I think.
    Anyway it is from Wayfair and ordered from Amazon.
    Listed as "Heavy Duty Two Step, Step Stool Style: with Handrail"
    $186.99.
    Hope this will help :)

5. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

Dh has some back & mobility problems and walks with a cane. When we bought the PUP it was hard for him to get in with just the tiny step that folds out. On our first trip, we kind of made due with what we had with us, and it works for us. We place a small step stool (flat, single step) in front if the fold out step. To the left side of the step, we place a 2 step ladder that has the u shaped handle above it. This gives him something to hold on to when entering the PUP. No totally stable, but it works for him

6. lindad44

lindad44 off and running

been thinking about a ramp for pup. i have dealt with disabilities from family members all my life. im not sure if it will work but i think if you take a pair of door hinges and 2 piano hinges. 2 pieces of plywood cut to measurements. of door on pup and two support pieces of wood. use piano hinges for door mount and to attach both pieces of plywood together and small hinges for supports on underside of ramp. after collapsing pup you could fold ramp in half and up. fold supports under and secure to pup with bungee cords. i could work it out on paper if you would like. its just an idea. always remember that if there is a will there is always a way. it might take a village to figure out how to make it work but it will work.

7. EileanT

EileanT New Member

The latest update!

While my injury is permanent I am getting much better at knowing my limits and finding work arounds for just about anything. This summer I spent a week at Big Meadows on Skyline Drive. No power, no connected water... HAD A BLAST!

I had always wanted to go to Monticello and finally got the opportunity. Although I did not go on any of the hikes I had a wonderful time cross stitching and reading and listening to my iPod which I usually don't get to do uninterrupted. We went to the Frontier Life museum and they have scooters! WHOOHOO! I outran everyone! With all the practice of getting in and out I am a pro now... we have a folding step stool that works for both me and our youngest. She can't quite get in the rear bunk without it and I use it if we have an off level site that leaves the door side high. We have a system for getting me out... Matt gets out first and I hold on to his shoulder. (just an excuse to hold on to him I assure you!) Still need to work on the shower in the pup but other than that we are golden.

As I said earlier... and will always say, Pup owners are the nicest people out there. I belong to other "special interest" groups and by far the Portal and CC community was the most helpful and supportive. (my Volvo group was just happy I wasn't racing anymore!)

I have gotten SO brave that I am hosting a rally! So "Come See ME!" It's listed in the planning a rally thread under Mid Atlantic. The rally got it's name from my friends that I met in KY when I started camping and went to my first pup rally... after my second trip to see them they decided they needed to come see me! So... you all are invited... near or far. There are instructions on how to make reservations in the thread... Everyone that comes gets a free hug from me! Because now I can!

8. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

Wow. This started almost two years ago? What a great thing to sit and read.
    EileanT, it sounds like you have conquered this mountain!
    Thanks for being so strong, and I pray that you get stronger everyday! :)
    Happy New Year!
    Baron

9. ill.plainsman

ill.plainsman happy, happy

EileanT magical. the lord sends in-site where needed. 3 weeks ago i fell off a roof at work and fractured my pelvic bone socket. I'm on right leg no weight light touch down and it looks like I'll be this way for most of the summer. your story inspires me to find a ramp big enough for a 208lbs carpenter. I've found them on one site at around 36 lbs each and I'll need 2. they are 8 or 10ft long made of ind. aluminum, i thought i would put them side by side and that would give me a 24 to 28 inch walkway. big enough for my walker. to keep them from going down on the right or left as i work my way up the ramp i thought i would get some of those push pin safety rings with the little 1 1/2 pull rings on them and I'd drill the proper size hole to safety ring them together. i don't need hand rails but i thought if i did i could find some aluminum conduit and using the same kind of safety rings mount them to the ramps. they showed me how to hop on the walker so i can do the same hear if need be.wish us luck I'm ordering this stuff today. hope to be camping by June. wish you all our prayers and thanks for the determination. god speed his love for you. ours too.
    plainsman

10. james13619

james13619 NewB Coleman Mesa

Same here. I struggled with how to add grab handle to door; a friend that works constructions suggested the handle from a Marshalltown Float. I bought one at Home Depot, $16. Worked perfectly and looks high-class! I also placed a scrap piece of 4x10 beam about 10 inch long culled from home construction across the street; cuts the step into two.
    Photos to follow

11. james13619

Photos at Piscasa

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?uname=114103291838358375916&target=ALBUM&id=5885399939401263697&authkey=Gv1sRgCJPIvoXnpoG85QE&feat=email

let me know if this link fails

12. ill.plainsman

ill.plainsman happy, happy

breadbox,hello. i had an accident this spring and i was afraid i would not be able to camp either. i looked around an they make folding ramps that are not really expensive. i wanted one i could walk a walker up on to the door. i don't know how tall your camper is off the ground but ours is 22inch's to the floor and i figured to get a walker up that rampit should be no longer than 9feet long and it would be one that is 2 separate pieces. they would lock together in the middle and a ramp tounge could be added to the whole thing so i could get right to the door or floor level. in all it would have set me back some $300.00 to $400.00 but if you want to go many more times think about it as a solution. no handrails on thisbut they would be very stable and you might get her some walking assistant[walker] just to get in and out. hope this helps and god speed. PS I'm getting better much faster so don't worry about yours truly. have more fun.

13. james13619

Did that link work? How do we get photos to show here in the forum space?

https://picasaweb.google.com/114103291838358375916/CamperGrabHandle?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCJPIvoXnpoG85QE&feat=directlink

14. james13619

By george ... I think I've figured it out!

Below, hopefully, will be a photo of the installed Marshalltown handle

(img)https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/1yilgChB5S557mOtk7UXaztb4JAZX1lq00WVN2P3LWw?feat=directlink(/img)

15. james13619

yes, I know, wrong brackets ...

By george ... I think I've figured it out!

Below, hopefully, will be a photo of the installed Marshalltown handle

[​IMG]

16. james13619

Dag nab it! This time for sure!

[​IMG]

17. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Howdy James! Could you post a photo of the handle ON the pup, just not so close as that one photo? I couldn't see it in any of the others and would like to see where exactly it's mounted!

Thanks!
    [:D]

18. james13619

I guess this will prove whether or not I've figured out how to post a photo...
    larger HD version is on the picasa link:

https://picasaweb.google.com/114103291838358375916/CamperGrabHandle?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCJPIvoXnpoG85QE&feat=directlink

[​IMG]

19. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

OOOoooohhhh, I get it now. On my unit it would be mounted on the upper door frame. My door is a two piecer. Is that what it's attached to on your pup?

I know my friends Coleman has a one piece door and it appeared pretty strong. If I'm even close, do you take it off when you tear down, or does it not impact anything?

I just delivered mine to a local guy here who is a master wood worker. When high end jobs dropped, he started building teardrops. Now he does both and also guts and rebuilds other RV. He has like 5 Airstreams on his lot in different phases. He's building a new 16' Bar Teardrop for a company. Maybe he can rig something like that up for me!!

Thanks for the bigger photo!

[:D]

20. james13619