Help HELP help...roof replacement on 98 coleman

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by joyceW1966, Dec 2, 2011.

1. joyceW1966

joyceW1966 New Member

[MOD]

We have a 1998 Coleman title doesn't give me a model sorry it's the long one that has the roof issues of sagging and the outter plastic shell cracking and falling apart. It's the model with the toilet/shower and the large pit group seating with two king size beds. Hope that helps you all out.

We want to take the OUTTER SHELL off and put an aluminum top on it, with out doing a complete re-build of the core unit. The core seems to be in excellent condition NO LEAKS now or ever on this camper so thank goodness that's not an issue.

Help needed is there anyone out there that has done this?? OR Is there anyone out there that has used another medium to make a new (SKIN)?? If so any help would be wonderful. Our shell is completely detached from the inner core so to fiberglass over it won't work.

Your help here on this forum is wonderful or if you want to communicate via email that's great too. My email is joycewhittington@tampabay.rr.com

THANK YOU ALL so very much!!!!! :)

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

[​IMG] from Connecticut. Sorry I do not have a good answer for you, but someone else will post one. Someone just made a complete aluminum roof for their Coleman. Lot's of luck with your repairs.

3. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

There have been a ton of members that have rebuilt their failed ABS roofs. The repairs range from fixing cracks with MEK and legos to starting from scratch and building a completely new roof, which works best for your situation is a matter of time,money and your skill set. Materials for new builds range from simple plywood and foam board to all metal with foam board insulation again what works for you is dependent on the things mentioned earlier. If it were me I would consider adding bracing to the interior (yes I am suggesting drilling holes in the roof to attach the braces) and then covering the exterior of the roof with EPDM rubber roofing material.

4. kpthook

kpthook New Member

Your 98 sounds like my 96. The ABS on my KeyWest totally delaminated from the core in the front. Fortunately no leaks or sags. I used sheet aluminum and created a roof over. It "floats" if you will and is fastened on the sides. It has been two years and no problems.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The blue is the plastic protector that comes on the sheets when you buy them. I got a deal because they left the sheets outside and the sun baked it on. Just haven't been motivated get aircraft stripper and remove it.

If you want specifics, let me know and I will try to help you out.