Help! Hitch coupler broke on way to campground!

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by campagain, Jul 2, 2017.

1. campagain

campagain Active Member

We made it, via bungee cords and safety chains wrapped around the ball and tongue. Should I get some duct tape for the trip home and wrap the s##t out of it?

Never saw this one coming!

2. JT2

JT2 Member

I think we're gonna' need a picture or a better description to be of any real help.

kitphantom likes this.
  3. NothingsChocking

NothingsChocking Active Member

(Sheet)? As in white as a sheet?:rolleyes:

4. campagain

campagain Active Member

Pics from my phone never upload :(

The little lever on top of the hitch that 'locks' the hitch onto the ball came off, and the rod that goes through to the hitch snapped. So, even though the hitch can go over the ball, it doesn't stay locked onto it.

5. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Sounds like a trip to Tractor Supply, Advance Auto, or some where you can find to buy a repair kit . The parts you described come as a repair kit. I would not drive it anywhere with the couple broke

6. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

Where are you camping. Is there a Walmart, auto parts or hardware store near by. Is the coupler bolted on or is it welded. At best, you can replace the coupler if bolted. Or, you can replace the latch if you can't take the coupler off. Duct tape isn't the answer. Even if a store is an hour away. You should make a safe connection for the trip back home.

SidecarMike and jackquontee like this.
  7. campagain

campagain Active Member

8. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

I would not drive it in the condition you describe. If something were to happen on the way home, you'd be terribly liable. A repair is DEFINITELY in order.

9. campagain

campagain Active Member

I will check out those stores tomorrow when he get home. We are super lucky bc the campground is only about 5 mi from the house. I can limp it home and work on it tomorrow/Tues.

10. campagain

campagain Active Member

I hit the local WM and all they had was a dua-lok coupler kit that I was thinking I could scavenge the coupler out of but not sure yet. Oh, I also stopped at Lowe's to copy my trailer key and they can't do that kind! Bums.

11. terry1419

terry1419 Active Member

Like Joet said, you would have better luck at a tractor supply or farm supply store. A trailer dealer should also have the rebuild parts. Also try RPCarriages.com or etrailer.com

12. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I have bought a coupler and robbed the guts out if not when a kit wasn't available.

13. Alan

Alan Active Member

This is one of the regular maintenance items that usually gets overlooked. Hauling the trailer any distance at all with a broken coupler latch is risky.

14. JT2

JT2 Member

Agreed all ... repair kits are easily available and one should be got ASAP. Plus, since the lever that physically locks down the hitch is missing, no use of any wire or silver tape is going to provide any locking force. Don't hitch and don't tow 'til you've got it back together.

JBinNV likes this.
  15. campagain

campagain Active Member

Got the camper home safe, and got the repair kit from TS. Now I just need it to stop being 90 out so I can fix it!!

16. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

We were camping with friends, their coupler cracked when they backed into the campsite. One of the rangers was a welder on the side and had a whole portable welding shop. He send them to a trailer or tractor shop and had them pickup a new coupler. The old one was grounded off and a new new welded on there in the campsite. We did have to rewire the trailer connector, the wiring got a little burned up. But we made the rest of the trip to Big Bend NP and back to Austin without any problems.

17. campagain

campagain Active Member

The repair kit doesn't seem too involved, but with the top portion broken off, I'm curious as to what is holding the parts underneath in place!

18. campagain

campagain Active Member

ALL FIXED GUYS!! WHEW THAT WAS A CLOSE ONE!

19. campagain

campagain Active Member

I wanted to expand on the 'fix' for others searching this topic later: it simply required removing the old coupler bolt and related parts, putting the new replacement parts in place, and test-fitting it on the ball hitch to ensure it locked securely. The whole effort took no more than 30-45 min, and the only tool needed was a ratchet wrench and socket. Hope this helps another member one day!

20. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Very risky to even "limp" home like this. Duct tape, wire, etc isn't going to help as the trailer has to pivot.

Glad you got it fixed. If anyone finds this thread in the future and is in a similar boat, DON"T TOW with a broken hitch/coupler!

JBinNV likes this.