HELP! Hitch will not go down over ball!

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by Kim Ciara, Jul 17, 2011.

1. CaliforniaPoppy

CaliforniaPoppy California and beyond!

Fingers crossed for ya!

2. jeeper88

jeeper88 Let's go Camping and Jeepin

wow! good luck

3. Kim Ciara

Kim Ciara Trout Tickler

8:54 am I GOT HITCH!!!

Michael, from Cascade, CO U-Haul came by at about 0730... took the hitch apart... the "latch" was slightly bent, and he stated it could have happened from my last camping trip, down a 12-mile very bumpy and un-kept dirt road, or that I could have done it jumping up and down on it. heheh

Anyway, it cost $50.00 for the house-call and repair! Not bad! He actually had to take the latch-part back to the shop and bend it back into shape there. I'm happy to pay $50.00 for this wonderful service!

Anyway, should anyone in the Colorado Springs to Woodland Park area (Ute Pass) need hitch help, DO call Michael! The number is in the book under Cascade, CO U-Haul.

Ok. Breakfast, a shower (am quite grungy again this morning after trying to figure it all out), and then I'm off for the rally.

Thank you, all who gave advice on how to make my hitch work! You guys are FABULOUS! FABU!

See ya's!

Kim, a Happy Camper

SteveP likes this.
  4. BillG

BillG Go'in fishing

Great. It really is wonderful to get it working.

Now off to the woods.

5. papachaz

papachaz New Member

good for you kim! as i just put in another post about a hitch install, i had a u-haul dealer install a hitch a few years back, i'd recommend them to anyone. hope you're having fun!

6. CampCrazyMom

CampCrazyMom Member

Oop, sorry for my bad lack of advice! No more mommies jumping on the hitch!!

Glad you got it fixed!!!

Yippie for portal people who know what they're talking about, and for great ppl in the world who are willing to go an extra mile (even if you have to pay for it, because that was awesome!).

7. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

Glad you got it working and $50 for a house call ain't bad...but just so you know you should be able to buy a rebuild kit for that hitch at a Northern Tool, TSC ,or other large farm store for less than $20. If it was bent and then straightened it has been weakened and in my opinion should be replaced.Also just for giggles try your tire iron out to see if it fits the nut...you may be pleasantly surprised.

8. n6nvr

n6nvr New Member

That's what I think I need to do to mine. It won't let the ball in straight on, but if I took either of my two hitches with balls (boy did I have to be careful how I worded that one) off either of the two tv's and angled them even a little and they popped right on. Opened it up with the nut, not sure but what it might not have been bent some when my son took it off the tv the first time. when the TV was angled in the driveway and the pup wasn't.

9. Sarah Roth

Sarah Roth New Member

Yet another post that saved me on my solo trip!

Thank you all!

10. p

p Active Member

I put lean my butt into the trailer and then pull the hitch lock down. It's just a matter of repositioning it.