HELP - How to put in a window unit for temporary use?

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by lovetocamp2010, Mar 29, 2011.

1. lovetocamp2010

lovetocamp2010 New Member

I had a post up about weather in VA in late July. Rumor is it is going to be hot and very humid...

Our pup does not have air conditioning - we live and primarily camp in Upstate New York - A/C is not really a necessity. People posted that we should figure out some way to use a window unit or a portable while we are there.

We just got this camper - haven't even picked it up yet - We have window units at our house that we can probably take with, but I have no idea how to make it work...

I DO NOT WANT TO ALTER my canvas or windows - this is going to be a necessity for 5 days - that is it. I looked up portables online - very expensive! I really don't want to invest my money in something we will probably use this one time.

CAN ANYONE HELP OR GIVE A GOOD IDEA HOW TO MAKE THIS VACATION NOT BE A BUST FOR US!

2. jshulenberger

jshulenberger New Member

I have seen post where a window unit was put in place of a panel of vinyl (by dropping the small vinyl panel next to the door, and replacing it with a board with an AC window unit). Others have placed a window unit on a stand (ladder or shelf maybe)outside, and had it blow cool air in through the screen. Neither required any altering.

Jason

3. rabird

rabird Howdy!

4. Davylee

Davylee Camping = Life is Good

I would go with what Jason suggested setting it outside on something blowing through the window. You certainly picked the worst time to visit that area without AC. But if you stay busy during the day then you only need to cool it down at night. Make sure to visit Busch Gardens/Water Country up in Williamsburg. There is a water park in Va Beach also, plenty of malls to stay cool at during the day if it gets really bad.

5. Yooperwannabe

Yooperwannabe Active Member

Depends on your popup but this is how we rigged our old Starcraft for a temporary window AC unit. Like you we only needed the air one week out of each year.

[​IMG]
    If interested in further explaination, let me know. Good luck!!!

6. Yooperwannabe

Yooperwannabe Active Member

Don't forget also, if its going to be hot, be sure to have gizmos or solar blankets for your bunkends. Otherwise the AC is not going to cool down your inside during the heat of the day.

7. candleems

candleems Member

bupkis posted my picture before I could. Mine is the plastic shelf ($30) with a bought off Freecycle for $50 window AC (and the PUP flag :)). I made sure to look for an AC that had a flat front, not angled. It has digital controls, so I could push the buttons from the inside without putting any holes in the screen. I don't have any canvas that has zippers (like some that are between lift arms and doors.

Second use of it, we placed it on the other side of the front bunk so it wasn't near the door (heat reasons), we secured a PUG around it, clipping the PUG underneath the bunk end and around the face of the AC being careful not to cover any of the side vents. Worked great! Use it Father's Day weekend last year which was sweltering (went to Spring Gulch with this forum, then a week later went to Watkins Glen, NY). Not hard to put up, I stored the AC in the back of the van for transport.

Did great for $80. I wish my laptop hadn't died or I would have pictures with the PUG around it. Hopefully those pics will be saved and I can post them.

8. krh1130

krh1130 New Member

We just use a portable ac and it works great. Good luck. :)

9. lovetocamp2010

Did you leave the entire canvas open? My husband and I looked at the pic and were trying to figure out how thea ir stayed in - because if we had to leave our entire canvas open, wouldn't it just blow right back out?

10. jshulenberger

jshulenberger New Member

I think he used Reflectix in the window, and cut a whole in it for the AC to blow through.

11. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Sealing it off somehow is a must.
    I put mine way froward on the plastic shelving pushed into the screen sealing with reflectix held in place by the PU's roof and a couple of 2 bys. Keeping it angled so the water runs out and not in!

My 6000 BTU unit keeps it cool and dry in the evening/night. Some help during the heat of the day.

12. KJcachers

KJcachers Active Member

forget about A/C!!! Pohick Bay is right along the Potomac with plenty of breezes. Just get a couple fans for night time sleeping. And yes, I live in Virginia. This ain't the deep south! Summer heat and humidty not unlike New York. [8D]

13. candleems

candleems Member

We have Reflectix in all the windows. We just folded back the end section far enough for the AC face. Secured PUG around it (not in this picture tho') and that sealed the window.

I would not bother to air condition it if I didn't use the Reflectix and PUGs on the entire PUP.

14. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

You must have a higher tolerance for humid conditions than me. I lived fourteen years on the Potomac at Accokeek and there were often summer nights with muggy, still air, no semblance of a breeze. The poster may luck out or may well be miserable in July. I think the suggestions for mounting an AC outside are good ones, and may make a trip more bearable, especially for someone from upstate New York not accustomed to bay area humidity.

15. KJcachers

KJcachers Active Member

perhaps, I grew up in Minnesota, surrounded by lakes and rivers. plenty of heat and humidity in the summer. I also lived in Massachusetts for 17 years and really don't see too big of a difference between there and Virginia.

16. lovetocamp2010

I do have a tolerance for heat - I have only been trying to figure this out for the worst case scenario - I have asthma and we have a 2 year old - so obviously I am just trying to cover all my bases! But, I think we are going to rough it with our fans and hope for the best! We'll be fine! I'm pricing out the tower oscillating fans - our home doesn't have central air and we use these and have great luck! If we're too hot, then we probably shouldn't be choosing to camp in VA in July in the 1st place - lol!!! Seriously, it's a camping trip/vacation with our family and we can't find a hotel room this cheap! We'll be fine! I am feeling pretty confident!!! My husband keeps reminding me that camping is just that..."camping - there isn't air conditioning in the wilderness!" LOL!

Thanks for all the ideas though!!!

17. KJcachers

KJcachers Active Member

that's the camping spirit! A/C? who needs it around here? next thing you know somebody will want to take a television along too! [LOL] Good luck with the trip and I hope the weather is [SUN] for you, better than [{}=].

18. candleems

candleems Member

Finally able to get on notebook and get pics of AC w/ PUG around it:
    [​IMG]

View from the inside:
    [​IMG]

19. Camping Fever

Camping Fever New Member

Was this placed on the side you sleep on? I'm not one that likes breezes blowing over me when I sleep so I don't know if I could tolerate the air conditioning in the sleeping bay (just one of my many quirks). I don't mind a gentle warm breeze, just not a cold air conditioned one.

I really like this idea. Does this cool the entire unit or does it mainly cool the sleeping area?

20. candleems

candleems Member

It's placed on DHs bunk end. I sleep on the other end. He likes it really cold. And yes, it does cool the entire PUP. We use Reflectix and PUGs as well. Luckily we were in a shaded spot and it helped a lot.