Help! I don't know how to clean this!

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by gketchup, Apr 8, 2016.

1. gketchup

gketchup Member

We camped for 10 days in gorgeous weather. We had the ceiling vent open and the fan on at night. It wasn't until we set up on our next trip that I noticed the mess it made. I'm thinking this is spot from camp fires. I'm in the middle of painting and making new curtains. It would be awful to do all this work to have a major blemish right as you walk in the door.

2. gketchup

gketchup Member

Here's a picture. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. gketchup

gketchup Member

Soot, not spot.

4. chambo

chambo Active Member

Are you sure it's not mildew? That's a lot of soot. I've used the bass pro shops mildew remover and it worked very well. Even on stuff that wasn't mildew. It's bleach based, so be careful with what it comes in contact with.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

5. VulcanGuy

VulcanGuy New Member

Our awning bag had some stains that looked like that . I used some cheap spray foaming bathroom cleaner from dollar store .It took it right off !

6. gketchup

gketchup Member

Well, I worked on it some this weekend, in between projects. I used a little dish soap in water with a rag. It didn't do too bad. I'm going to try it again this week. I also picked up a lint shaver and took care of the fuzzies. It seems better than before, but still needs work. [​IMG]

7. nhcaveman

nhcaveman Barrington, NH

We have a local RV store, place that stopped selling new campers a few years back, that now sells products, accessories, and does service.

Last year they sold me this Star Brite here, it's about $12 but I sprayed it on waited ten or so minutes like it said, and the stain disappeared, and I then wiped it with a damp cloth. Looks great now. And it was mildew that looks just like what you're showing there.

http://www.starbrite.com/item/mildew-stain-remover

8. gketchup

gketchup Member

It definitely isn't mildew. When we opened it up there was black specks on the counter right below it. It may not be soot, but it isn't mildew either. I've tried a lot of things on it and it's much lighter. My eye isn't drawn immediately to it anymore either. I may have to get some Star Brite for the future though! Thanks for all of the tips!!

9. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

It looks like it's from rubbing on aluminum tracks etc. I get the same thing

10. bondebond

bondebond New Member

If it is from coming into contact with aluminum, I haven't found anything yet that will remove it. If someone does, please share. I have had sections of the tenting come into contact with the aluminum rails, rub and get marks all over them. It's very frustrating to have that on an otherwise flawless vinyl and Sunbrella tenting.

11. gketchup

gketchup Member

I don't think that's it either. It is 2/3's of the way up the wall. There was black grit on the counter. I honestly don't think it is that.

12. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Did you try Woollite? I use that to spot clean ours.

13. gketchup

gketchup Member

That's my next purchase. I have heard that works on stains also. Do you dilute it at all?

14. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Yes, I followed the directions on the bottle and used warm (not hot) water. I used an old tootbrush to rub it in. I then used cold water to rinse it off.

15. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

I must disagree , it's from the tenting rubbing on the aluminum once the bend ends are pushed in and top comes down the tenting from just about any area will come in contact with the rails . That black powder comes off the Aluminum as it wears with rails going in and out etc. It's a S.O.B. to get off , the best I can do with mine is lighten it somewhat .

16. karley020

karley020 Member

Just a thought, not speaking from experience, has anyone tried the mr clean magic eraser on this? I know it works well on random stains. That would be my go to if bleach based products don't work.

17. Jeepguy93

Jeepguy93 Active Member

I have this cleaner i get at the dollar store its called "AWESOME" it will take that out. I use to on my pup vinyl and cotton canvas!

18. JRnTrixie

JRnTrixie New Member

I have to give a second vote with Jeepguy on the Awesome. It lives up to it's name and yes, it's really found at the dollar store! I clean vacation homes and use it a lot and we also use it a lot at home. We actually just washed our entire pop up with it and it is so clean and shiny! Just make sure to not let it sit too long on any surface because it can make it fade or leave marks like bleach. It can also be a little potent, especially if you're sensitive to cleaners, but it works just as well if you mix some water in with it. If you're indoors I recommend leaving a window open and turning the fan on.

As karley020 mentioned, the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser is also a great go-to product. I actually use it more than bleach. It doesn't make as much of a mess and IMHO it works better