Help Identify my Coleman AC (no model #) problem(s)

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by S-FL_Slats, Apr 3, 2019.

1. S-FL_Slats

S-FL_Slats New Member

I just bought a 1993 Coleman Destiny Rio Grande, $500. It needs some work mostly on the beat up cabinetry. Biggest issue I'm facing right now is, it has what appears to be a original AC unit. Here are the initial findings, turn on Fan Low = hums, Fan High = hums louder, Cool Low (fan hums low, compressor kicks on) Cool High (fan hum louder compressor on). Start spinning the fan it picks up and runs fine. Ran the afternoon great for a couple hours, went out later that night evaporator coil froze/iced over. Noted the freeze sensor is not on the coil at all, and tucked underneath on the inside of the camper (maybe in the return air area) but I put a ice cube on it and the compressor immediately kicked off, took it off and few seconds it kicked back on. So I'm assuming it need to be moved to a better location if not onto the coil, but its extremely short and doesnt reach. Ok so now on to the tricky part I cant see any of the info on the identification tag and no wiring diagram. I was able to pull the capacitors out, google search the numbers off them and determine the fan/motor start cap. Ordered a new one and installed this afternoon. But nothing changed, fan still not starting on its own. I then tried to check all wire connections on all the capacitors and at some point I did something and tripped the GFI on my house plug. Now the fan is still in the same working state, but now the compressor will not kick on. So I don't know if I shorted the Run Cap. or the Start Relay or what. Guess now I will re-start from the beginning and figure out how to check and test the capacitors and starter relay and go from there. Any other advice, symptoms, shortcuts I should look into. I have potentially found 3 similar AC units for sale from $75-$100 but 4 hours away.

2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Post a picture of the AC, that might help identification and troubleshooting.

3. S-FL_Slats

S-FL_Slats New Member

Delete comment? Photos on phone to large to upload.

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Just to let you know you can use an app called photo resize, it can resize the photo to a smaller size to upload to this site. It's an extra step, but at least it works.

5. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I use Paint Shop to re-size my photos, works for me..