Help! In line battery fuse blown

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by CalKat, Oct 9, 2011.

1. CalKat

CalKat Member

We're leaving in the morning, so I brought our pup up from the storage area. We have no power for the lights! I found what I'm guessing is an in-line fuse right off the negative battery post. It appears to be open. It is called "Shortstop" 12v 15a. Can I just bypass it until I can find a replacement?

2. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Sure that the battery is hooked up correctly. Hook up reverse and the power center/converter reverse protection fuse blows.
    My fuse is on the +
    My shortstop fuse (40A) I installed under the hood to protect the charge line wires is auto resetting. Available at local auto parts.

3. CalKat

CalKat Member

I have the black wire on the negative, white on the positive. Is it backwards?

4. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

Yes you have it backwards. Black is positive, white negative.

And likely that's not a fuse but a resetable circuit breaker that has failed. That's what my Bayside has and I think it's 30a. Mine is also on the positive side. Doubt you'll find a dealer open today but if necessary you may be able to find a replacement at an auto parts store. I'd get out the phone and start calling once I get the cables straight and see if that solves the problem.

5. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Yup, the fuse or circuit breaker is usually on the positive (black) wire.

6. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Your WFCO power center will have a blown fuse, the reverse protection fuse. The 'shortstop' should be OK.

"NOTE: If the reverse battery protection fuses are blown during
    installation, be sure that the battery has been connected properly, then
    replace the fuses with ATC “Littelfuse ” Type 257 with the same rating as
    the original."

"Reverse battery protection fuse protects the converter from damage in the
    event the RV battery cables are accidentally connected in reverse. A reverse
    battery condition for even a second is the only way this fuse will blow"

http://www.wfcoelectronics.com/documentation/manuals/Manual%20-%20WF-8712%20WF-8725%20English.pdf

7. CalKat

CalKat Member

Thanks everyone. I always thought black was negative. Live and learn.

8. Unstable_Tripod

I'm not an electrician but it is my understanding that the color coding practices in PUPs are not the same as in houses.

9. fix_it

fix_it Member

Actually, the color coding matches house wiring more so than automotive wiring. In the automotive industry, black is almost always negative. In house wiring, white will be called Neutral (the grounded side - or - negative), and Black (or most any other color except green) will be the Hot (positive) side of the circuit. It is this color code that most campers follow. White = (-), Black = (+).

10. Unstable_Tripod

Thanks.

11. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

Hmmm, the wires on our camper are red (with a 30amp inline fuse on it) and black. I'd always assumed the red was hot and the black was negative. Been hooking it up that way all along, and the camper hasn't exploded yet. Am I doing something wrong?

12. gglplex

gglplex Jesus is Lord!

All this good discussion brings up a related issue: is there a good rule of thumb to determine how terminals get hooked up correctly--not by looking at the terminal wire colors, but what ELSE they're connected to? For example, will the neg terminal ALWAYS go to the breakaway switch (or something else easily identifiable)? That way, when newbies are in doubt, they can simply trace the wires to determine which wire goes on which batt post.

I confess I just went through this myself [;)] . I recently (w/in the last month) bought a 2007 Avalon and the black terminal went to the + post! I always thought white was + and black was - . To make matters worse, the inline circuit breaker was on the + terminal (always thought it went on the - side). If it wouldn't have already been hooked up correctly when I bought it I never would've hooked it up correctly (well, maybe NEVER).

BTW, my previous pup (2000 Jayco UDST) had black for the - terminal and the inline fuse was on that wire as well...

13. turborich

turborich Active Member

Yep, These are the easiest ways.

1 The positive should be fused

2 Positive wire will *usually* be black

3 Just see which wire grounds to the frame and that will be your negative.

4 If you still can't figure it out then use a multi-meter on the continuity setting and connect one probe to what you think is the negative cable & the other end to the frame. If no continuity then try the other cable.

14. gglplex

gglplex Jesus is Lord!

Ah yes--the good ol' "negative frame" test will work too.

@turborich: looks like you've got the same pup I used to have! I loved the slanted cargo box door on the front!

I did a few mods to mine so if you ever need someone to bounce ideas off of, I'm here to help.

15. marcham

marcham New Member

Yes. Use a multimeter to determine which lead is grounded to the frame, then connect that one to the neg post on the battery.

16. mostlyok

mostlyok We're Mostly OK!

I ended up using the absolute last resort. I looked at the manual for the electric circuits. I had to. There were red wires, black wires, white wires, and striped wires! It took a few tries to get the solar panel and controller wired up correctly. And more experiments when I installed the cigarette lighter recepticles for all the phone chargers. Now I just hope I don't have to work out anything else.

17. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Mine are red+ and white- which match the colors on the power center's converter input.

There is no guarantee that the negs are 'grounded'. A home run neg to a frig, an add on trickle charger harness, solar panel plug and play, etc.

Previous owner not following some rule of thumb like using all white wires, etc.

If your power center has battery charger capability, the wires are 'hot' when plugged in with or with out the battery connected!

The brake away can be un-fused to the +.

How many reverse protection fuses will be blown come spring? [;)]

18. turborich

turborich Active Member

Sounds good to me, Thanks. I really like the front cargo box too since I can open it enough to gain access when the bunk is pulled out.