Help - its getting cold!

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by CampingFam, Jun 18, 2013.

1. CampingFam

CampingFam Member

So we are up in the mountains with our new roo and have experienced our first break down. Our suburban heater is not working. Just as an FYI, my phone has 10% battery left so ill be shutting it off while I wait for replies.

I have more than enough LP. That isn't the problem. I have two batteries that are almost completely charged. Our indicator in the too goes from full to good depending if a light is on. Here is what happens.

I turn the thermostat to the desired temp, hear a click, the blower motor turns on for 30 seconds, then shuts off, I pulled off the front of the furnace to see if we were getting a spark in the little hole, I looked and low and behold everything is lighting and running fine, I put the cover back on the front of the furnace and reset the thermostat and the same problem happens. Fan runs for 30 seconds then shuts off. I'm guessing it has something to do with the sail switch in the furnace. We are out in California in the mountains so we won't be able to take it in for a while.

Does anyone have any ideas before the fam freezes and kills me?!

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

First thought is, are you level? I have heard of heaters not working because the camper so off level.

Other then that I'd check the battery, propane tank, and the thermostat. It's easy to not have those cheap thermostats set properly and if it's like mine, being almost on the floor makes it hard to read.

Good luck.

3. CampingFam

CampingFam Member

We were a little off level but not horribly. So last night at about 12:30 I finally got it to run with the front panel on and the air flowing through the vents. I have no idea what I did. It ran most of the night trying to keep us warm. I'm frustrated though, because now it isn't running at all. It really seems to me that the batteries can't get the air flowing fast enough through the vents for the sail switch to trip. Why I don't know. They are over half full and there are two of them. I'm not sure what to do now. We are a few thousand miles from home for the next week living in here.

4. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

If your batteries are down to half it is time to recharge. Deep cycle batteries should generally not be discharged below 50% and definitely not below 40%.

5. CREEPPINGCHARLIE

CREEPPINGCHARLIE CAMPING RECHARGES THE HUMAN MIND

I agree with UNSTABLE, sounds like more of a battery problem. Years ago if my battery was low on my old Viking the lights would work and the fan would come on , but not enough spark to ignite gas. Also I would double check and make sure you have gas. Fire up the stove to see if it has a strong flame. [8D] [PU] [PUT]

6. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Get a set of jumper cables, hook the battery to the TV battery and let the TV idle for 45 minutes. Luckily, your TV has a built in gas powered battery charger and is 50 state emissions legal, and quiet.

7. CampingFam

CampingFam Member

I'm probably going to pick up a generator tomorrow for the TT that way we can use all the power we want. I don't think my batteries are below half. In the roo there is a control panel that says, "charged, good, fair, low". We are currently on "good". We should have enough juice. The question I need to answer and I'm sure ill probably get it tomorrow from a tech when I call is, why will it light with the front of the furnace panel removed 100% of the time but not when the front panel is on. I'm really thinking its a bad sail switch but maybe something is clogged.

As an FYI both propane tanks are almost completely full. The burner is burning great on the furnace when the panel is off. It's not a gas flow issue. It won't even try to spark when the front panel is on. Only when it's off.

8. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Could have just been air in the line or even a cobweb.

9. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

I remember seeing this on another board. It sounds nearly the same.

Hope it helps.

10. mark.sibole

mark.sibole New Member

could be the sale switch.I keep a vlt meter in my rig to keep an eye on battery voltage.If the voltage is below 10.5 volts the fan wont spin fast enouigh to throw the switch and everything will shut down.Also when was the last time you cleaned the furnace?You may have dirt in the combustion chamber not allowing enough oxygen in it to keep fired.There are like 4 or 5 safty sensors in these darn things so you can get frustraited real fast if you arnt familiar with the workings.
    As for the deep cycle batterys dischargs you can drain them right down with no ill effect.Thats why they are designed like they are.
    I kill 2 of them in 1 night of trolling with the electric trolling motor.So long as you recharge them within 48 hours they will be just fine.Im on my 4th year on my set and have ran them completly dead on several occasions.

11. crazyazcat

crazyazcat New Member

Check your furnace's exhaust. The PUP that we just bought had just been cleaned due to wasps building a nest inside the exhaust portal. The furnace would run for a bit and shut off as a CO2 safety precaution.