HELP! Lift pole bent?

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by Apache05, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Apache05

Apache05 Member

I noticed when it was windy that the top seemed to mo ve more than my last one, today when lubricating (just purchased a few weeks ago) as I have no idea if it had ever been or last time. Does this need to be replaced? Can it be? Can I just make it straight or will that weaken it? How hard would it be? Before I put any more money into redoing I wanted to find out about this.
    20201017_112942.jpg

2. flingwing1969

flingwing1969 Active Member Silver Supporting Member

It does appear to be repairable. You will have to remove it from the PUP to do it though. Without actually seeing it in person, I'd make some 2x4 supports cut to full lift height, then you need to crank it down a hair so it rests on the supports - you should have some slack on that post. You will then have to figure out how to remove the cables from the posts, remove the bolt connecting that top section to the top, and then remove it - again, I can't help with the exact how to without seeing it but you will likely figure it out. That support looks like it was bent by over lifting, unless the others show similar damage. I think that its condition was why it seemed to shake more than your previous experience. Anyway, once removed you can see how it is attached to the shiny stuff and, if possible, how it can be removed - it should not be straightened while within the sheet metal or you risk damaging that stuff. Then put it together and you'll be good to go.

Someone with more knowledge than I about that particular system will certainly chime in. Good luck - not the end of the world, for sure.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Check the other posts and see how they are. So you have something to compare it too.

flingwing1969 likes this.
  4. Apache05

Apache05 Member

The others are good, one it looks more like a bolt is a bit bent down..that is the only one