Help... lug nuts stripped

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Mark CASTELLANI, Aug 12, 2021.

1. Mark CASTELLANI

Mark CASTELLANI Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Got the NTU camper and the tire date is from 2010... got new tires/rims from etrailer... went to put them on this morning and the "Lug Nut" who originally tightened the lug nuts really went to town with the torque...

Nuts are loose now, but won't back out...

Any suggestions?... thanks!

Happy Trails!

[edit]... original owner must have had a flat... the spare's brand new and the other wheel comes off easy-peasy

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
    John2006 likes this.
  2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

You have to replace the studs and nuts anyway. I guess you have to start cutting

John2006 likes this.
  3. Mark CASTELLANI

@Raycfe ... yeah... well, isn't that just lovely....I figured as much...thanks

Happy Trails!

4. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Yeah, sometimes you gotta wonder about the yahoo who puts lug nuts on like that!!!

John2006 and Mark CASTELLANI like this.
  5. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

The Yahoo with an impact wrench most likely. Or a too-long cheater bar on his breaker bar.

John2006, Spridle and Mark CASTELLANI like this.
  6. Anthony Hitchings

BTW - if you get a (segmented) garage door "tune up" - tell the workers to keep their impact gun away from ALL your garage door (hinge) bolts. If they want to check tightness, do it by hand. At least two of my threads in the metal door frame are stripped on account of this.

7. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Luckily you got the new rims, so one less thing to worry about.

8. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

Impact wrenches should be used for removal only. I don't trust impacts with "torque" tubes. Finish reinstall with a torque wrench.

Mark CASTELLANI likes this.
  9. Mark CASTELLANI

@WrkrBee ... oh yeah... you can count on that (don't even own any air tools)

now i'm trying to decide the best plan of attack.... use my angle grinder w a cut-off disk?... gonna chill 1st... take a deep breath.... gather my witts [what little I possess]

Happy Trails!

Spridle likes this.
  10. Anthony Hitchings

IF (and that's a big IF) get the wheel axle nut off with the wheel on the rim - do that. Remove the wheel. Then from the back side of the hub grind off the head of the stud and then punch it out (towards the lug nut).

Haybale likes this.
  11. Mark CASTELLANI

@Anthony Hitchings ... that's a thought... thanks!

I don't want to get in over my head but, maybe a good "PM" on this thing is in order [ie: bearings].... can't wait till DW gets home tonight... can hear her now... "WHAT did you DO!?!?"... [i'm laughing so I don't start crying]

Happy Trails! [I hope]

Spridle likes this.
  12. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

So nuts are stuck on? Try some penetrating oil, tighten them up a bit and then clean off the bolt, then try backing them off again. You may have some gunk in there making them toght. Of the studs are crossthreadeded then you will need to remove them and get new studs. Take it slow. Sometimes a file or another nut can help straighten out the threads also.

John2006 likes this.
  13. Mark CASTELLANI

@Sjm9911 ... did that 1st [Liquid Wrench]... let them sit for a few minutes... one nut came off... the other three reguired some "omph" from me... did not use a breaker bar... other three nuts "spin" now but won't back out... thanks!... heading back out to re-assess the the situation... thanks!

Happy Trails

Equipa and Sjm9911 like this.
  14. Anthony Hitchings

I guess it depends if your studs are screwed into the hub flange (poor design) or pressed in from the rear (good design), I only have direct experience on automobiles (at least two instances)

15. Mark CASTELLANI

@Anthony Hitchings .... funny that you should mention that!

[1st... my psychic abilities are awesome... DW just got home and guess what she asked? LOL]

2nd... and more importantly, the studs ARE spining at the hub flange... next step... go back out and figure out a solution

thanks!

Sjm9911 likes this.
  16. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

You can get lug nut extractor sockets. I have a set and they work well for pulling off things. However, I have found that the best way to get a seized nut off is a big ass impact gun with plenty of power. Even if the threads are crossed it will usually power off that nut, and then you can just pound out the studs and replace them.

I had a similar situation on our van a couple years ago. At the time I only had a crappy 20 year old compressor and a mid torque impact gun. It was not enough to break loose the seized nuts, and I broke a breaker trying to get it off. Tried PB Blaster and all sorts of stuff. Air hammer to try and break it loose. In my case it was also the factory lugs which have those crappy chrome covers over the nut, which deform and round off. I was so ticked I used an air chisel and cut through the aluminum rim around the stud, and went to the junkyard and picked up a replacement wheel. We had a road trip planned that week, so I was under the gun. Picked up a new set of lugnuts, and when I checked the other side I had 2 more cross threaded/seized ones. That time I went down to the local used tire shop, paid a guy $5 and he spun the all off with his impact. Replaced the chewed up studs at home and was good to go.

After that I upgraded to a newer compressor, picked up a good air impact, and a high torque Bosch cordless one as well. Came in handy when I had to to do the front driveshafts on the truck the following year.

17. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Uggg , not good. I think that usally happens when they tourqe the hell out of them, it pulls the studs out. Tbh, better you found it now then lossing a wheel on the road. So there is that to be thankful for.

18. Mark CASTELLANI

yup... exactly what DW said

Sjm9911 likes this.
  19. Mark CASTELLANI

okay... how do I determine my axel?... I know on the old PUP it was a DEXTER... this one's just an idler... 4 on 4 bolt pattern... 8" tires.... I'm thinking ahead on having to order a new hub from etrrailer... does it matter?... if I'm gonna replace the hub i want to do it right with quality parts

thanks!

"Grumpy" Trails!

SteveP likes this.
  20. Anthony Hitchings

Yup = Sounds like a new hub is in order. Pretty inexpensive. I presume that you do not have electric brakes.