Help... lug nuts stripped

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Mark CASTELLANI, Aug 12, 2021.

1. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Of you call e trailer, with make model and year they should be able to match it up. Otherwise look on the axel for a stamp, or the hub when you get the wheels off. There good , even when they send you parts that dont fit, they do ( dont ask) . Lol.

Mark CASTELLANI likes this.
  2. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

a stud that mounts from behind the hub flange looks like this (it has a damaged thread, or two) automobile stud 0.5 inch 20 tpi.JPG

Mark CASTELLANI and Sjm9911 like this.
  3. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I would pull hub with the wheel on it, grind the heads off the studs and knock them out from the back, then put on a new hub....Instead of grinding, I might weld the back of the stud to the hub and take the nuts off. I would have to have a look at it first to decide my plan of attack.

I just replaced a hub on one of my trailers a couple of days ago. It cost me 39 bucks for a complete kit.

20210809_114256.jpg

KRV75, Mark CASTELLANI and Sjm9911 like this.
  4. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Use a good caliper on the spindle bearing surfaces to get diameter. Or you could go by the bearing model number. eTrailer should be able to xref off of either of those. If going with a new hub you don't even need to cut off those stripped nuts.

Sjm9911 and Mark CASTELLANI like this.
  5. KRV75

KRV75 New Member

I was going to make the same recommendation as xxxapache. Remove the hub with the wheel attached and grind off the heads. Replace the studs or the entire hub or drum.

My popup had old but barely used tires which needed replacing. The lug nuts came off one side no problem. The other side they were tight the entire removal. The threads were missing on about half the studs and the drum was ground down flat in one place. Clearly, the wheel had fallen off while being towed.

I was lucky since I could get them off. I pressed out the old studs and installed new studs. All good now.

6. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sometimes if you can get a pry bar behind the nut and force it outward while you turn the nut you can reach good thread.

7. Mark CASTELLANI

Mark CASTELLANI Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

THANKS, EVERYONE!!!!

this morning's mission is to pull the whole wheel off...the heck with the studs... hopefuly i will be able to determine what number the bearings are stamped with and order me up a set of TWO NEW hubs [I've got a couple of digital calipers, just in case]... even though the other side is okay, might as well replace them both... "Cheap Insurance"?

I'll keep you posted

Again... MANY MUCH THANKS for your insights

BTW... do you know how, those in the Military, express their gratitude?..... with MANY TANKS... [sorry, I can't help myself LOL]

Happy Trails!

8. Mark CASTELLANI

DAILY UPDATE:...hub pulled [easy peasy]... cheapest, in stock, LOCAL, hub assembly was ~$75.00 for one [Tractor Supply] so, I ordered from etrailer.com... $75.00 FOR TWO... just have to wait until next Wednesday for delivery... Camper's up on jacks until then

Happy Trails!

Sjm9911 likes this.
  9. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Yeah, I got sticker shock at TSC when I went hub shopping. Not long ago, they were under 40 bucks there.

10. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Thats cheap, dont ask how much my new brakes cost. Lol.

11. J.R. handy1

J.R. handy1 New Member

Usually you can remove the , drum, hub. Take a good sized hammer and pound out the studs, go to auto parts store get the matching size and acorn lug nuts, keep in mind to get extras, J. R.
    Oh! I have a friend in Chocorua New Hampshire that has an RV salvage yard. If needing parts hard to find. He may have it,

12. BIGTOM

BIGTOM Member

Apply a little antiseize compound to your lug nuts, the main problem is rust and dirt when they won't come off. And before you get too upset and claim they will come off if greased, I have been working on cars and trailers for over 40 years mostly on Police vehicles and never had a wheel come loose.

SheaLoner and Mark CASTELLANI like this.
  13. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

Probably need to start a new thread with his business info included. It may prompt others to post of other RV salvage yards in their area.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  14. Mark CASTELLANI

Thanks, J.R.... good to know... anyway, I've got new hubs comming in tomorrow

Happy Trails!

Sjm9911 likes this.
  15. swe13

swe13 New Member

Either I am misunderstanding or half the people replying to this thread are. I take it that this part of the stud is stripped, in which case, a 1,000 gallons of PB Blaster, and the biggest impact in the world is not going to help you.
    Have to do like several have said. You could grind off the lugs, but most likely the hub is stripped too. So you might as well just take off the hub and buy new. If you are saving the wheels, grind the back of stub and punch out forward, otherwise you'll mess up the rims. Been there done that.
    upload_2021-8-17_10-40-2.png

16. Mark CASTELLANI

@swe13 ... you're correct... the studs were stripped just where you circled them in your pic... new hubs ordered nd should be delivered tomorrow... FWIW... will probably salvage the old bearings and add them to the 10,358 other stuff that, "hey, I might just need that, someday" currently resides somewhere in my garage LOL

thanks and...

Happy Trails!

Sjm9911 likes this.
  17. SheaLoner

SheaLoner Member

I keep a small tub of antiseize with my jack and fourway in the truck. If I stop to help someone with a flat or am doing so for work, I always recoat the studs before the lugs go back on. Saves me a few swings with the sledge if I have to change that tire again.

18. McSkippy

McSkippy Active Member

If you do that, be sure to reduce the torque as specified by the manufacturer of the compound you use. That will get you the correct tension on the stud/bolt. The risk isn't the nut coming off, it's overstretching or even breaking the stud.

xxxapache and Mark CASTELLANI like this.
  19. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I am not sure that I would buy the cheapest hubs that I could find. For my TV, I can buy a Moog tie rod for $60 or buy one on Amazon for less than $5. I go with the Moog parts. I have had cheap suspension parts wear out in one year.

20. Mark CASTELLANI

DONE!!...Thanks, everyone!... finished it up on Thursday... now, as they say in New Orleans,...

"laissez les bons temps rouler"

Happy Trails!

Sjm9911, SteveP and xxxapache like this.