Help me decide between two Jaycos.

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by msuce99, Mar 12, 2013.

1. msuce99

msuce99 New Member

I need input - Looking at a Jayco Select 12SO and a Jayco 1407. The 1407 is listed for $700 less than the Select. The Select has lots of fancy upgrades, but I could do without some of them. Both are same year. Both have slideouts, the Select has a front trunk. Both have awnings, indications are that both are in good condition. Both have outside showers but the Select does not have an inside toilet/shower.

I haven't looked at either yet. The Select is local to me and the 1407 is about 4 hours away. Help me decide where to focus my efforts please.

There will be four of us - me, the wife, and two growing boys. Tow vehicle will be a V8 SUV. Thanks for any advice!

2. Ken1967

Ken1967 Can't wait to Camp!

I would go with the Select. We took a vote as a family about having a toliet in the PUP... no one wanted to have someone doing #2 next to their bed. I assume they are used. You should be able to dicker with them. You can probably get that $700 difference off the price and save the travel time and gas you would spend going to get the 1407.
    How old are they?

3. msuce99

msuce99 New Member

Both are 2005s.

And I would anticipate only using the toilet for late-night emergencies, not a primary restroom. I can take or leave the inside toilet/shower feature.

4. Starcraft Away

Starcraft Away New Member

I would go with the select if not just for the storage trunk alone, it was a major factor when i was shopping for mine. Having a place to put all that stuff that may get a little dirty outside of the living quarters is great.

[PU] [:D]

5. CamL48

CamL48 New Member

Sorry, replied to the wrong thread.

6. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

I'm with Starcraft Away on this... I WISH I had the storage trunk! Any extra storage space is far more valuable to me than having a toilet in the camper... after-all, I've never camped where there's a shortage of trees! [;)]

7. CamL48

CamL48 New Member

With 4 kids, we don't have much space in the TV for gear. So, for us, front storage box was a must have. As an example, the Flagstaff 228D is a nice slide-out design that I really liked, but no front box ... so I excluded it entirely from my search.

And, I agree with the tree comment. Nothing better in the world than sitting by the fire at night, drinking a cold beer, strumming on the guitar, and then stumbling out into the dark to get rid of my last 2 beers.

8. msuce99

msuce99 New Member

Now I am also considering a 2003 Coleman Westlake. Owner is asking $1,000 less than the aforementioned Jayco 1407 and $1700 less than the Select. The Coleman does have the ABS roof according to the owner, but he says there are no cracks and it has an interior brace. I would like to look at this too.

Any thoughts on the Coleman vs the Jaycos? I know some ABS roofs are really bad (we borrowed one last fall that was REALLY sagging), but it appears that others on this forum have had no problems with theirs, especially the later years like this one. I loved everything about the Coleman that we borrowed except for the sagging, cracking, delaminating roof. Am I being naive to think a 2003 model might be OK?

9. gec66

gec66 Active Member

As others here have stated in other threads, there are abs roofs that have failed and abs roofs that will fail. I would not chance it.

10. fritz_monroe

fritz_monroe New Member

If it was me, I'd go for the Select. That front trunk makes a big difference. In my Bayside, all the exterior set up stuff is in there, along with the camp stove, grill, etc.

I'm more of a Coleman/Fleetwood fan, when we were shopping for the Bayside, the Fleetwood just felt more solid than the comparable Jayco. But I wouldn't go for the Westlake. I know that the ABS thing is not an issue in a lot of cases, but when it is a problem, it's a very expensive problem.

11. Ken1967

Ken1967 Can't wait to Camp!

To add to what I said earlier... the posts about the extra storage space are bang on! The more space you have the better! Our first PUP, an 87 Palomino Pony had very little storage room. The 11 Palomino Mustang has the front storage box and it makes a world of difference.
    Another thing to consider is the box size the camper. Our pony was only 8 feet... very crowded with two adults and four kids when trying to get out of the rain. If you have lots of bodies I would recommend at least 12' box. The slide out offers even more room. The toliet/shower takes up space and if you are not going to use it much then it is wasted space.

Coleman is out of business. Two strikes I have heard from Coleman owners in person and on this site are the ABS roof issues and difficulty in getting some parts if repairs surface.

Can you post pics of the PUPs you are looking at?

12. Dale Boudreaux

Dale Boudreaux New Member

Go with the extra storage. Stay away from the ABS roof. my [2C]

13. msuce99

msuce99 New Member

So, the extra storage is more valuable to everyone than the longer box length and tandem axle? That is part of what I was wondering, thanks.

I will try to post links tonight if I get a chance; its too much of a hassle from my phone right now. Thanks.

14. msuce99

msuce99 New Member

15. Nixie

Nixie New Member

This is a hard choice. The Select is a nice highwall with almost all the bells and whistles.
    The 1407 is bigger; not as many bells and whistles, but a bathroom.

The thing I notice is this: You say you have 4 kiddos. The Select only has 3 beds (dinette, and the two slides) The 1407 has 4 (one from the couch, dinette, and both slides). That right there would make me choose the 1407. As my kiddos have gotten older, they have gotten grouchier about sharing beds. The 1407 also looks like there would be more room to actually sit if you get stuck inside due to bad weather. The Select only has the dinette and a little bench seat. The bathroom in the 1407 would be a bonus to me. I have little ones that can't make it over to a bathhouse everytime they need to go. Also, nighttime runs are a PITA. We did end up buying a porta potty and keeping in the screened in front porch at nighttime and transfering it to a porta potty tent during the day. (One more thing to set up and tear down).

I guess it kinda comes down to if you either want space or amenities. The Select has the microwave, air conditioner, oven, etc. The 1407 has more space. More beds. On board bathroom. Maybe you should make the trip to check out both. Bring the whole fams and "test" camping in it. Put the kiddos on the beds. See how everyone fits. Will you be comfortable or tripping over each other at every turn?

16. Nixie

Nixie New Member

Misread the thread :p I would go with the Select :)

17. msuce99

msuce99 New Member

Yeah, just two growing boys for now. They don't need a lot of room right now but I anticipate they will as they get bigger. It seems the general consensus is for the Select; I will try to go look at it tonight since it is local.