Help me find a camper!

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Shnngns, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Shnngns

Shnngns New Member

So here’s the deal. I’m in N.H. and want a camper with slide out and ability to cook outside. Needs ac, heat, and sleeping for at least 5. I want something newer than 2016. I drove three hours to buy a 2016 Rockwood HW277 for $11k. I loved the layout, but the canvas was all mildew stained and overall the trailer was dirty with bugs under mattress etc. I decided to walk away from it. They (Albany RV) offered me a brand new 2020 Hw277 for $15900. I was tempted to take it until they said it wasn’t prepped and I’d have to come back for it. Now, here’s my dilemma, I want a camper and I’m ready to buy, but I cannot find any near me for sale. The dealers around me don’t stock pop ups and I’ve searched Jayco, Rockwood, Flagstaff, and CNW with no luck. I’ve found the only Rockwood/Flagstaff model with outdoor cooking is the HW277/HW27KS. I like it, but really don’t want to drive another 6 hour round trip to buy the one offered. Any locals that know of a place I’m missing? I’m so shocked that I literally cannot buy what I’m looking for. I didn’t think pop ups were a needle in the haystack situation, especially when considering new or used.

2. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Active Member

Was the 2016 pup at a dealership? Most things can be cleaned up, but I would expect something from a dealer to at least be clean! I would check craigslist or the letgo app, but don't be surprised by the condition of the pups you might find there. Good luck with your search!

3. tcbrady

tcbrady Member

Why not just have the dealer prep the HW277 and go back and pick it up? I can't imagine it will take them long to prep it knowing they are gonna sell it....

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I say if you have the money talk to the dealer. There are not many used pop ups in great shape and especially in great shape and everything you want. sadly a lot of dealers don’t like to sell pop ups so finding one immediately ready to pull off the lot is going to be harder. Finding a camper is a very time consuming and frustrating process. Driving distances to see a camper is inevitable. Took me over a year to find my used popup and a whole lot of waisted gas to see junk. However I finally found something. You will find something eventually but you are going to have to be patient and jump on any deals you can find. Dealers near me don’t keep any on stock but they can order the popup you want. so that may be an option for you. Obviously with that route you are going to have to be patient.

Arlyn Aronson likes this.
  5. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Supply and demand. The RV industry has been cutting back or eliminating pups for a while. Their money is in TT's. With fewer new pups being sold, the used market is tightening up also. This is also driving up the price of used pups.

amgoodwin likes this.
  6. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Well-Known Member

First thought, the one at the dealer with the mildew and the bugs - I would run away from that! That's a lot of grossness and that's only what you saw at first glance, no doubt more grossness lurks beneath the surface. If the dealer can't be bothered to clean bugs out before they show it to someone I would seriously doubt their ability to "prep" it.

Second thought, if you are looking for a PUP with an outdoor kitchen, that is a pretty uncommon feature and will definitely require patience to find. As mentioned above, the supply of PUPs is dwindling. So you might have to either look a long time to find exactly what you want or compromise and get something that is pretty close and then find a mod or workaround to get the functionality you want. Maybe you could consider buying something older and less expensive that is close and use that while you still keep an eye out for the exact right one. Then trade up when you find it.

Good luck to you!

Arlyn Aronson, Sjm9911 and Jonson01 like this.
  7. penny

penny Well-Known Member

keep checking craigslist, RVTrader and facebook marketplace. Picky is good, especially if you don't want to do a lot of work. There are checklists of things to go over, things that have to be fixed. Also, if you have an RV dealer who you trust not to rob you with a bunch of extra charges, maybe ask if they can order what you want. If they carry, for example, Jayco, Rockwood or Forest River they should be able to order a pop up.

another edit, sorry. I just stuck the zip code 03101 in on RV trader and there are some nice pop ups around there. don't know how far you are from that zip code, but Flagg RV has several, as well a some nice owner sales. Happy Hunting! you will find something, just be picky.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  8. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Evidently Albany RV didn't want to sell the unit that bad. It doesn't take that long to "prep" a unit

WVhillbilly likes this.
  9. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

10. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

I don't know. It just took me 2 weeks to get a riding mower "prepped" but only one day after I called and told them that if I didn't have it the next day I was going someplace else.

You'd think they would want to sell stuff.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  11. penny

penny Well-Known Member

to OP, Thinking about some of your options, I wanted to ask about wanting something 16 or newer. we bought a pop up a while ago that I thought was perfect. It was the newest pop up we'd ever had. It looked good, seemed perfect- but the roof was bad, the fiberglass panel on it had become porous from our New Mexico sun beating on it and it leaked like a sieve. I guess I'm saying that in many ways, pop ups don't really change that much year to year and a really well cared for, maintained older used camper can be just as good as a newer camper. My inlaws have an older camper that was very expensive new and they hardly were able to use it. It has spent it's life in their garage, my brother in law is a mechanic and it has been meticulously maintained even though not used. They plan to sell it pretty soon, and who ever gets it will get a top of the line, like new, old camper. Just saying new isn't always equal to trouble free.

Arlyn Aronson likes this.
  12. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

When buying used, always assume there is more problems, than what you see or the owner will admit to. We wanted a used live-n-lite little camper and give up on that after a year of looking and bought new. Used is fine, but we will need to drive X distance and its condition, is always crap shoot. Good luck!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    HappyTraveler and WVhillbilly like this.
  13. Shnngns

Shnngns New Member

Thanks for all the replies! Definitely some great food for thought. Still haven’t found the one, but I’m sure it’s out there.

14. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Active Member

We're in the same boat. One of our "must haves" is a/c since we plan on traveling down south for extensive periods. Noticed the pups around me don't usually have that. Figured out it's b/c most people around here only take their pups to the southern tier (Letchworth SP, Allegany SP, etc); those places simply don't get that hot, or will cool off quite a bit at night. Those places also have a TON of tree, so camping in the shade is more than likely.
    Anyway, figured we're going to have to look farther afield to find that feature on a used pup, which means road trips to go look at them.
    Good luck in your search!

15. Ken Lane

Ken Lane Active Member

Having been in Pups back in the eighty's when dealers had new ones in stock I sorta expected that was the case today and thought their would be plenty of used one's around. So I went looking in and around Knoxville. I was very surprised to find out how wrong I was. After several trips to look at used ones in Craigslist I came up empty handed. What I saw were either way over priced (2.5 times Nada book) or looking like something out of bad movie. There was the story that "my family only used it 4 times," but the floor was soft or another one where the frame and gas bottles were well rusted, even the canvas was stained and torn. Another guy tried to talk me into sending him money for a great looking 2018 popup that he was selling super cheap, 10k under book. He just needed a little money because he was going to to drive it to TN from Washington St. to sell it to me. So we gave up on used and went to a local Knoxville dealer to look at 2019s (which they had exactly 0 of). They did have one leftover 2018, it was exactly what we wanted. Keep looking and digging, what you want is out there.

16. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Glad to hear you found what you were looking for!

17. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Active Member

Exactly! I was equally surprised to find there just aren't that many around now.
    Of course, in all our years of tent camping, we've seen the camping world change, with more and more TTs on the scene.
    But we're simple folk and are not ready to make that leap yet; which is why the pup is the perfect next step from a tent.

18. Ken Lane

Ken Lane Active Member

Tent camping is a little bit to much for my family. I bought a tent and supplies last year but decided to not use it. I thought a Pup would be a better way to introduce them to camping without sleeping under just a tent. My family traded our pickup for an SUV a couple of years back and I don't want to spend that kind of money again just to tow a TT twice a month during the summer. Our SUV will pull a medium sized Pup that will keep the better half and I comfortable and give the little monkeys a taste of the outdoors. And its fits in my backyard. That's my simple life.

WVhillbilly and HappyTraveler like this.
  19. penny

penny Well-Known Member

this spring, it seems there are more pop ups at dealers. more at dealers = more on the used market. And some areas seem to have more offered than others. Albuquerque and, of course, Colorado and Arizona dealers seem to be offering a nice selection of more pop ups. the several new designs of tent trailer too are being seen more and more. I've seen a used quicksilver for sale recently and one of those cool utility-type trailers with a whole tent on top. I still haven't seen much at southern NM dealers, they say people don't want them. I don't know about that, I see a lot on the road and in the woods.

I think we are seeing a big boom in outdoor "life" and it's probably a good thing, if people respect our wilderness areas and don't trash them.