Help me find a good cooler!

LisaFree

Mar 2, 2011
I have one small Coleman cooler that will keep ice in it for DAYS. It was given to me a few years ago and I can't find any info on the bottom or sides about what model it is. I have another Coleman cooler that I bought last year that was advertised as a "5 Day" cooler - one of the "Xtreme" models - but it barely keeps ice in it for 24 hours, much less 5 days. I really need a larger food cooler for when we camp, but I have no idea what to buy at this point! Anyone have recommendations? I'm looking for something around 50 to 75 quarts in size.

backwoodsmama

Mar 31, 2012
Coleman makes some amaaaazing 6 day xtreme coolers. Up to about 70 or 75 quarts. Check those out. They're generally on wheels, so transporting them is easy. I have one and we love it!

ghacker

Super Active Member
Nov 8, 2009
I've got an Igloo Extreme that works pretty well. 4-5 days as long as you're not opening the lid all the time. Any cooler will perform better if you make a solar shield out of Reflectix for it or get a solar shield from Popup Gizmos. Adds at least another day or two, especially if you're on a site with little to no shade.

Hacksaw

Super Active Member
Aug 23, 2009
It depends how much money you want to spend...If you don't mind spending as much as a refrigerator to have a cooler that will keep the ice for a week and also double as a jack stand for the truck you can't go wrong with a Yeti...

Flyfisherman

Super Active Member
Mar 4, 2003
Shallotte, North Carolina
LisaFree ~ same story here ... about 12 years ago bought from a Coleman Store their first version of the Xtreme cooler, 32 qt, no drain and really held ice better then any cooler I ever had previously. Then awhile later bought a larger one with the same name tag and I believe it was no more then their (Coleman's) regular cooler with the Xtreme label on it. The old sly change of hand routine - it was as if Coleman wanted everyone's attention and when they got it, here came the 3rd rate stuff. The original had thicker walls, you can see the difference side by side.

Now, in order to get the real 3 to 5 day coolers, got to lay out some big bucks.

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
We have had a couple of the steel-belted Coleman coolers, the stainless is our main camping cooler at the moment. (We did not pay the prices listed on the Dick's website!) After the first day, the ice stays well, it seems like the ice shakes down the first day on the road. (We usually pack the cooler the night before we leave, and add ice if needed at the end of the first day of the trip.) Depending on the weather we probably add ice every 2-3 days. We have the Gizmo cover, it is getting pretty worn, so last year I made a Reflectix cover; the Reflectix one is bulkier to deal with. With either, we have a foam insulating pad we use on the top (the covers hold it in place); it is made of 3 layers of a closed cell sleeping pad taped together. Without the added insulation and cover, we have had the top of the cover become almost too hot to touch, even when the cargo area cover was closed.
We have had a couple of the Xtremes for several years. We use them as extra coolers, but found the one with about the same exterior dimensions as the stainless one did not hold our food as well (the inside is smaller due to the extra insulation), so we've decided to keep using the stainless as our main cooler. I often use the smaller one for food shopping around town, when I am running errands and will not be going straight home.
I think the Yeti was one I saw at Sportsman's Warehouse; looks good, but my arthritic (&small) hands could not manage the latch system - I wasn't looking seriously, but information gathering is fun.

LisaFree

Mar 2, 2011
Thanks everyone. I read through some of the older posts here and have come to the conclusion that I'm not going to find anything as good as the old coleman without spending big bucks. My problem is that I use that one as a food cooler but it's really not big enough for more than about a 3 day trip. I had hoped to find a good larger cooler to use as the food cooler. Maybe I'll try adding some reflectix to the Xtreme cooler I bought last year and see if that helps.

donnie_o8

Mar 8, 2011
We are facing the same problem...tierd of runnin for ice every day. And I can't stand when the food is submerged in water. We looked online yesterday at mini fridges and are goin to go get one today. We spend most of our time camping with electric so theres no problem there. They are small enough to fit inside on the counter and can be stored on the floor when pup is down. The only cooler we will need is for beer,cold drinks and beer. [8D] CHEERS.

cuckoo

Super Active Member
Sep 7, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
Just a suggestion.... Pre-chill.... Everything you possibly can including the cooler. Sacrifice a bag of ice in the cooler the night before. Really makes a huge difference.... [SUN]

mrwithit

Sep 7, 2011
Yetis are awesome. We just hot back from a 9 day river float trip with ice to spare using yeti coolers. Temps were in the high 70s and the coolers live on the boat, thus always in the sun.

treatcg

Jul 9, 2007
I have a Rubbermaid 75 Qt DuraChill™ Wheeled 6-Day Cooler and it works great. I have borrowed a friends Coleman Extreme and was not impressed. The lids on my cooler have a good tight fit which I also think helps. The coleman lid was not a tight fit.

mac_camper

Mar 8, 2012
Cuckoo is right.
We keep our cooler cool with ice or in the basement the day prior to travel. The other secret is make our own ice by using rubbermaid or the glad food storage containers filled 1/2 to 3/4 with water and freeze all week so you end up with ice blocks which last a lot longer than bag ice. We also freeze some of our food if we are not eating it the first day or so. The only other thing we do is alway wrap the cooler in an extra blanket when in the truck or exposed to sun.

Traditional Coleman steel sided is our standard cooler and works great.

Buttermilk

May 6, 2012
I bought a little 1.5 cubic foot freezer from Walmart.com to use this year. I think it will keep plenty of ice made. It cost about $200.

BigDan

A bad day camping beats a good day at work
Mar 30, 2012
We have the Igloo Ice Cube and it holds ice for atleast 4 days as long as you keep it out of the sun. we also take an old milk jug filled about 3/4 full and freeze it and you end up with a milk jug sized ice cube that will really help out in holding ice.

Latest posts