Help me find a good mess/meal kit for our kids!

Discussion in 'Pots, Pans, Grills, Other Cookware / Cleaning & Fo' started by equilibrium, Aug 22, 2013.

1. equilibrium

equilibrium Member

Not having luck looking online.

I want to find a meal/mess kit (or individual items to buy to make one) for our kids but not having luck.

This is what we need:

-Not stainless steel as it's too hot for our youngies with soup or hot food.
    -Different colours. We have 4 boys and want each to have their own colour so they are responsible for their own kit/colour.
    -Would LOVE if they attach by carabiner or something but I haven't seen anything like.
    -Needs to have a decent sized plate, a bowl, and a mug preferred (or cup).

It can be non-camping tableware brands...any ideas? :)

2. wvKING

wvKING New Member

3. Jean

Jean New Member

4. CamL48

CamL48 New Member

For plates & bowls, I recommend paper. Easy, cheap, no mess, no thermal issues you mention. Otherwise, Jean's solution should work pretty good. We have some enamel plates and, though good for not getting too hot, it's just too big of a hassle for me.

For mugs, I go with enamel mugs at ~$4 each at stores like Sportsman's Warehouse. Can get red, blue, green, and other colors. Amazon has an assortment, too.

For silverware, we tend to use plasticware or "Light My Fire" sporks for $2-3 (available in a bunch of colors):
    [​IMG]

Good luck.

5. Sumoman

Sumoman New Member

We also use the light my fire sporks, each have their own color to wash. As for mugs I always go to Starbucks of all places. Reason is they are serious about coffee and have well built items.. I have a thermos from them that cannot be beat.

Pricing is normally about 15 bucks a mug but they are stainless and have tops, as thermos mugs go they are awesome. I have two and love them, do well in freezing temps keeping Joe hot.

6. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

For kids, something like this?

[​IMG]

or this?
    [​IMG]

there is lots of Tupperware for sale on ebay.

no cups - but these come in different colors:
    [​IMG] on their website easylunchboxes.com or also on ebay.

7. equilibrium

equilibrium Member

Wow, thanks for all the ideas!

We looked at the blue GSI one and the plastic is like meh...reminds me of dollarstore stuff. I was hoping for what I did find online yesterday but WAY out of our price range. The company doesn't seem to have a "set" of all the items and yikes, we can't afford that for 4 kids lol.

http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/78

If anyone sees something more like this please let me know!

I was thinking tupperware might be the best bet as well. I don't see much for picnic type stuff anymore? I will check out ebay-never have looked there for tupperware!! :)

8. equilibrium

equilibrium Member

Oh, and thanks for posting those pics of the different coloured containers. I think I might get some of those for kids lunches this fall!! :)

9. CaliforniaPoppy

CaliforniaPoppy California and beyond!

10. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

Never thought of that Poppy [8D]

11. equilibrium

equilibrium Member

Oh.em.gee. That is BRILLIANT! And affordable. HAHA! I'm going to get some regardless of our mess kit!

12. Blue2

Blue2 I teach them how to light fires, safely.

We use the light my fire mess kits. They are different colors, float and stay shut so can clean at home after last meal I needed. Kids like to use spoons at regular meals at home too. If have younger kids they have spoons without knife edge too.

http://www.lightmyfire.com/products/wild-kitchen-collection/mealkit-20.aspx

13. bearman512

bearman512 Well-Known Member

14. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

One bad thing about the collapsible dishes is that you cannot get them really clean. This is because they are soft. We use the GSI Lexan mess kits and they can take a beating! They are dishwasher safe and on the trail we will dip them in boiling water to sanitize them before use. They come stored in a mesh bag. The kit came with a bowl, dish, cup, knife, fork and spoon.

try this place: http://www.summitcampinggear.com/gsioutdoorslexan1persontableset-green.html

15. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

Growing up, I was always partial to anything Mil Surp and I used to LOVE my GI mess kit. These are aluminum and would accept a $0.50 caribiner.

http://www.patriotsurplus.com/r133.html?productid=r133&channelid=FROOG&utm_source=CSEs&utm_medium=GoogleProducts&utm_campaign=PatriotSurplus&gclid=CPXK6_fAlrkCFabm7AodUncAfw

http://shop.dansdepot.com/GI-Style-Mess-Kit-Aluminum-by-Rothco_p_2066.html?gclid=CNOg7K3BlrkCFUPl7AodJA0A9g

I even had a set of these locking utensils. Hmmmmmmm, now you have me thinking; I may have to crank up my way-back machine and get me some more.....

http://www.armysurplusworld.com/product.asp?productID=47517

If you don't want the locking set, here are some standard GI utensils.

http://www.armysurplusworld.com/product.asp?ProductID=56688

16. CaliforniaPoppy

CaliforniaPoppy California and beyond!

We've never had trouble getting the collapsible bowls clean. Soapy sponge in one hand, and the other hand on the outside of the area we're cleaning. Works fine.

The fun part is that our bowls have little dog faces embossed on the bottoms. So when you finish your cereal or coffee, you get a happy little hello. :)