Help me ID MYSTERY parts in my '84 Jayco?

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by heathdavis, Jul 10, 2011.

1. heathdavis

heathdavis New Member

So I got the rebuilt roof back on my super-cheapo yard-sale Jayco, put the canvas back up, and now I'm working on cleaning and other details.

This is a 1984 Jayco J-series 705-- a little economy-size Pup.

There are two things in the popup that I don't know what they are for. (<< wow great grammar, eh?)

1) Piece of hammered aluminum about 7" x 9", the same stuff the heat shield for the stove is made of. I thought maybe it was another heat shield for the side of the stove, but there is no apparent way for it to attach. Then I thought, perhaps it was a cover for the sink, but it doesn't fit. Maybe a hot plate, but the heat would just go right through it.

2) A line of bungee shock cord-- same cord as is used to hook the tent ends of the canvas to the bottoms of the bunks. But this cord has no apparent purpose. It runs level with the bottom of the canvas, along the entire non-door side of the Pup. It's in the interior of the Pup, but does not run through a channel in the canvas. It's just *there*. There are a couple of sharp-pointed drapery hooks stuck into it. Is it original? If so, what does it do, why is it there, and should I replace it with fresh new stretchy cord (like I did the bunk cords)?

Any ideas? :huh: :huh:

2. nomoretent

nomoretent Member

My NTU has the same bungee - no idea. Hopefully someone has some answers!

3. papachaz

papachaz New Member

if you don't have an owners manual, there may very well be one posted here. click the owners manual link up there next to the 'forum' link.

i personally have no clue

4. heathdavis

heathdavis New Member

I have an owner's manual, but unfortunately, it's pretty generic and doesn't say anything about these items.

5. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Heath, it sounds like the lower cord for your curtains. Mine has it on the whole front side. My curtains have a strap connection to it on the inside (leading edge). So you grab the top and bottom of the right hand curtain and pull left..and grab left hand curtain (top & bottom) and pull right.

Basically it just keeps the curtains hanging properly and assures privacy.

Good luck!!!

[:D]

6. Retired Alex

Retired Alex New Member

No idea what the aluminum is for, a picture would help.

The shock cord is to keep the curtains in place, prevent them from blowing out over the stove and to keep the plastic window in place when you only half open it.

7. heathdavis

heathdavis New Member

Alex and Rotnmom-- Ahh so that is what the cord is for. Makes sense now--- you'd think the drapery hooks in it would have given me a clue.
    Thanks! One mystery solved.

8. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

On our Jayco the curtains do not come down that far. The cord to to keep the roof wiring from getting caught on the bunks when they are push in. The aluminum plate sounds like a counter protecter for hot pans, etc.

9. NYgranny

NYgranny New Member

#2 could be to make sure your curtain does not blow onto your stove, if it's behind your galley. Our curtain has a loop that slides over a bungee for that purpose.