Help me scope out Manatee Springs State Park

Discussion in 'Florida' started by BelchFire, Jun 7, 2017.

1. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

I've never camped in Florida before, but DW is interested in Manatee Springs. I've been reading your random posts about it, and so far I've gathered that Orchid likes Site # 46 and ScubaCamper likes 41 and 73. What other sites are good (I'm not used to having to select a site without having seen it first; GA State Parks allow you to select on arrival). It looks like most sites have electricity, but NO water?

What is good do there? Swimming? Can I bring kayaks? I would plan a trip to Fanning State Park; would the kayaks be appropriate there also? What else? I would need to occupy three or four days.

TIA,
    Belch

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  2. WeRJuliIan

WeRJuliIan If it's "Aluminum", why not "Sodum" and "Uranum"?

From the Florida State Parks entry for Manatee Springs:
    "There is electricity and water at each site. "

3. thelmuth

thelmuth Member

Most sites in the Hickory and Magnolia 2 loops are good, just look at the size and any pictures available. Last time there we stayed in 54, very nice site. Our friends with a large camper were in 52, avoid that one, there is a large tree in the middle of the site and they were not able to use their awning. We had other friends in 47, 49, 51 & 53. All nice sites.

They redid the Magnolia 1 loop a couple years back and it's a little too open for my taste now, although the new bathhouse in that loop is very nice. There are quite a few small, tent only sites in that loop also.

As far as things to do; you can swim as long as there are no Manatees in the swim area, they have a nice kayak launch and the spring run is a nice short paddle to the Suwannee River. The river can get rough if it's windy. There are a few nature trails through the woods and a nice boardwalk along the spring run to the river. You can also scuba dive if you're into that. For entertainment we almost always make a trip to WalMart in Chiefland.

I have not been to Fanning Springs, so I can't comment about kayaks or anything else there.

4. Gunz

Gunz Member

Spent four days there last July. We mostly swam and kayaked, and enjoyed the deer that walk right up to your campsite. Though a nice park, we were surprised at how little grounds maintenance was accomplished- they said it was to keep the park as near to wilderness as they could, but two trees fell in the loop due to the wet ground and lack of properly assessing the risk of leaning trees over campsites.
    However, we liked the place and we'll be back the first three days of July.

5. thelmuth

thelmuth Member

After typing my previous reply I went and booked the first weekend in November. Site 54 again.

6. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I love Manatee Springs, being from FL I have been there quite a few times. However once egot into ticks I don't mean a few I mean so many that we went to Win Dixie and bought tweezers to remove them. We were told that at ties this is the worst area in Fl. I got Lymes Disease but caught it early and took the prescription. If you don't know what it looks like check for a "bulls eye rash" the last time I took the Grand Kids the lightening bus were out and there were so many that I sat outside and read a book, (It looked like Christmas there were so many)
    It is a beautiful park and canoes /yaks are welcome. Enjoy the trip and Happy Camping