Help negotiating on price.

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by urbanbutterfly, Jun 17, 2011.

1. urbanbutterfly

urbanbutterfly New Member

We found a 99 Starcraft Galaxy...and we really like the floorplan for our big family. The person is asking 5,500. When I looked up the bluebook value (thanks to seeing someone else' post on another thread...thanks for the link!) it said...1545 to 1865! The Galaxy owner said that the previous owner had replaced the furnace and fridge and that it had 2 golf cart batteries. We haven't seen it in person...but will be driving the 2 hours on Monday to do so. It looks like it is in good shape in pix...but one never knows... My question is...what price would be reasonable to offer??? Obviously they are way above the bluebook as I read it...but I'm not sure how much to ask them to come down. The other factor to consider is that we do live on the West coast...and from what I understand our prices tend to run on the high side... I'd really appreciate your input...you all have been a great help as I am learning all about pups!
    Thanks!

2. LISA1969

LISA1969 New Member

hi i live here on the east coast and 2 years ago i purchased my 2000 bayside for 2000 dollars. it was also 2 hours away in another state. i would go check it out and considering the year and the nada book value i would offer him no more than 3000. but try to negotiate for 2500 first. if he doesnt budge just remind him it is 11 years old and you arent looking to finance it. if he wants to get rid of it bad enough he might just take the offer. also ask him how long has it been for sale. but batterries dont cost that much either and the roof rack wouldnt increase the value that much. good luck

3. Twisty

Twisty New Member

I'd skip it. Asking waaaay too much and kind of sounds creepy.
    When did the PO replace those items?
    If this owner has had it for 3 years and the PO replaced those items 3 years before that...
    Well?
    Just because you live on the west coast doesn't mean you should get ripped off.

4. gusbell

gusbell New Member

Have you looked at Craigslist in your area? They generally give you a pretty good idea of what things are selling for given the markets supply and demand. NADA is a guide but doesn't take into consideration the rarity of or surplus of a product in a given market. Price seems very high and unless I could find a whole bunch of similarly priced and equipped pu's in that area, I think I'd have that conversation on the phone before driving two hours.

Use all this information to negotiate on the phone some prior to wasting your time and gas money. If you see similar PU's in similar condition on craigslist that maybe what the market will bare in your area. If it still seems very high after reviewing what you find there, tell him so and that your wanting to negotiate a lower price range prior to seeing it. Something like:

"I have reviewed a bunch of PU's on craigslist that are very similar in floorplan and amenities and they are all in the $2500-$3000 range. NADA which is the guide used by finance companies to set value they will loan 90% of for used RV's shows this model for that year listed at $1545-$1865. Before I spend two hours to come look at your RV, I need to know that you are willing to come down to the $2500-$3500 price range depending on how good of shape it is in once I get there and get a true inspection on everything I cant see in the pictures.

See what he says. If he's firm and won't move of his "asking price", tell him your not interested at that price but leave him your number in case there is a price drop. As mentioned above, ask him how long it has been on the market and also let him know if you will be able to pay cash. That sometimes motivates people if they know they are getting green in the hand vs being financed.

First rule of negotiating is to let the seller know you are willing to walk away and keep looking without insulting them or what they are selling. That gives you the power and if you are in the neighborhood of a fair market value (and they know it), they generally don't want to lose an intersted buyer that is serious about making a purchase.

5. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

For sure that is a steep price for a 12 year old popup camper! Not saying it's not worth it, but there sure would have to be some remarkable evidence that it it is! A couple of golf batteries, along with some regular maintenance item replacements (which means they really got used!), sure does not warrant that kind of a price.

I have Starcraft's SRP for that year (because I bought a '99 Starcraft), and the Galaxy with the convenience package, 12' awning, 16M BTU heater and a 3-way frig, had a factory retail price of $7,760.00 --- Gee, that's only a $188.34 depreciation for each of the 12 years --- not bad if you can get it!

I'm thinking the seller has set the price that high so he will not only have lots and lots of negotiating room, but maybe sort out the perspective prospects to the more inexperienced camper buyer. The bottom line for you is how much have budgeted for such a new-to-you camper(?) Lets say it's $3,500.00 --- call him back and tell him you saw the N.A.D.A. pricing and the very max you interested in is $3,000.00 - see what kind of a response you get ... no need in driving 2 hours for nothing (unless your going that way anyway). Just say you do get a look at the camper, you'll know by it's general upkeep and condition if it's worth you parting with any of your hard earned cash!

6. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

NADA isn't gospel......but $5,500 for a '99 p'up of any sort....regardless of geography is just plain crazy. The seller obviously has no clue. Just walk away.

7. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

Also....yes, here in the West we pay a premium for these types of things....but again, $5,500 for a '99 is ridiculous. My 2005 Viking blue booked for $4,000 and he was asking $6,500...I got him down to $5,500. Being out west....yeah, there's a premium, but I wouldn't go much over $1,500 for NADA for average. That seems to be about the norm.

8. rjm4295

rjm4295 New Member

I agree, that is too much. In February I bought a 1999 Palomino with a dinette slide out, this pop up is in excellent shape. Paid exactly what he was asking $2750.00

9. Norfolk

Norfolk Just let me fix this one last thing.....

I'm with these guys; driving 2 hours in the hope that the seller MAY negotiate on price seems like an exercise in futility. There will ALWAYS be another camper... and probably less expensive and closer to home. [:D]

10. urbanbutterfly

urbanbutterfly New Member

WE GOT IT!!!!!! [PU] Thank you thank you thank you for all your wise advice!!!! We were able to negotiate a fair price and we were so excited to bring it home!!!!!!!!!!!! Honestly...the advice I got here was crucial to our bargaining and I cannot thank you enough for all your help!!!!!

11. iluvcampin

iluvcampin New Member

too high if u shop around and find other campers that are the same ad send the links to the seller they may lower their price i just purchased a 2006 niagra for 6500 in perfect condition at the time i found a 2008 for their asking price of 8500 and they decided to lowe price to 6500 most people upgrade and when they end up with the old and new at the same time they are usually willing to negoiate u just have to be patient and find that good deal it is out there. hope u find it

12. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

Congratulations on your purchase. I'm glad you got a price you're happy with and I hope you have a great time with your pup. Post pictures if you'd like. We'd love to see it.

13. papachaz

papachaz New Member

one thing to remember when negotiating price on anything, and i've found moreso with campers. there's 'book value' and then there's 'market value'. it's always best to remember, if there's someone out there willing to pay more than book value, then the value is more. our area is proof of this, people will pay double and sometime triple what 'book value' is on a camper in decent shape. value is subjective, we don't see things as they are, we see things as we are, from our own perspective...

14. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

well said papachaz [8D]

15. CaliforniaPoppy

CaliforniaPoppy California and beyond!

Congrats! Where are you going first?

16. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

Okay. All of these posts about price..

Do you mind telling us what you got it for? (It might help a future buyer...)

17. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

One thing about NADA guides...they ask your zip code to take into account the locale. Punch in 56001 for example and compare it to a California zip code you'll see the difference is already accounted for.