Help planning some meals.

Discussion in 'I Smell Something Cooking!' started by Sjm9911, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Ok , people this is my big trip to disney. And i need some ideas. And i have a few questions. So i have the new TT, and some space and gadgets but i need a bit of help.
    So here goes. How good are the freezers on propane? I want to run mine on the way down and plan to cheat at some meals. I want to pre cook like lassana, breaded chicken breasts, and reheat in the TT oven. Witch is the next question, how good are the ovens, lol. Back up plan is to defrost in the oven and use the microwave. I figure this may be the best why to eat on the road and when i arrive at disney, as i dont want to be running around a bunch.

Lastly, if anyone has advice on what freezes well for meals and crockpot meals that i could say put on on the am and leave cooking under the pop up shelter all day while im gone, or is that frowned upon? I need quick stuff for when im at the parks. Oh , and i put in cooking because it fit better then the planning section? I will be bringing the insta pot, blackstone griddle ,and a grill. Along with a ellectric stove top. ( the low power inside burners are crappy) i will eventually get an outside stove, but not this trip. Thanks.........and i have a 8 yo, so kid freindly is a plus!

Orchid likes this.
  2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Come on. You are the best cook I know.
    As for the freezer. I can keep 2 bags of ice frozen for months.
    And you always restock.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Just to add. The only problem I see is not the freezer but the oven.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. Sjm9911

Thanks, lol. But i tend to overthink stuff. I want to try and make it easy. I was thinking oven to free the food and then use the zapper. It might work well.

5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

On days I'm out all day long I tend to just make tacos or fajitas . Very quick and easy and doesn't take long to fry the meat. As far as leaving the Crock-Pot on all day while your out, I think it is a personal preference however I personally would be very nervous if it was left out. First of all animals could break into your site and second uncontrolled kids. Then again I've never stayed at Disney so animals would probably not be too much of a concern.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  6. Sjm9911

Yea, i do get that. The insta pot has a good sealing lid, squirrels are the main animal. I would zip up the tent. Its halloween so kids can be detered with a bloody hand next to the pot[:D] does make me nervous, i never leave cooking unattended. Thats why i figured under the tent is better then in the camper:)

7. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

I recently put a pizza stone in my oven to help even out the heat... used it Saturday morning and it seemed to work well. Just keep an eye on whatever you’re cooking. I have made biscuits, muffins, zucchini bread and egg bakes all successfully in my tt oven. I also agree with Raycfe - the freezer keeps things good & frozen!

Sjm9911 likes this.
  8. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Our freezer is strictly electric, so can't speak to propane use, but I will say that when everything is pre-frozen and put in the already cold freezer, we have gone as much as 10 hours without the slightest hint of thawing.

I pre-cook nearly everything for Disney. We are big on tacos and I pre-cook and freeze the meat in meal sized portions. I always do everything as flat as possible in freezer Ziplocs, so I can fit more in the freezer. Taco meat freezes very, very well. I also make enchiladas, both chicken and beef and chicken taco meat made ahead.

I always leave my crock pot going inside my camper all day. Has never been a problem. I do it at the Fort and at state parks even where raccoons rampant, I've never had anything try to chew their way in. At the Fort, the squirrels are not the problem they used to be. I am not asking, and probably don't want to know, why they are under control now.

Pot roast in the crock pot is usually our favorite. Cooked potatoes don't freeze well, so that's always a "fresh food" day. Lots of people leave crock pots going on picnic tables. It's not frowned upon. I just always leave ours inside, and as you know, have canvas walls, so definitely no problem inside of yours. Potatoes don't take up any cold storage space, and peel very quickly and easily.

Much depends on what you and your DD like, but I've already got pulled pork made and in the freezer for our December Fort trip. I even pre-cook hamburgers at home and freeze. We also eat hot dogs, but those we cook on site, obviously.

I always pre-cook bacon because we like it for breakfast, but don't want to fool with it camping. Bacon never freezes "hard" but stays good in the freezer. I used to pre-cook sausage, now I just by the pre-cooked patties. In my opinion, the pre-cooked sausage links are gross, so would pass on those unless you know you like them. Eggs are super easy to cook at camp.

My grandsons eat a lot of chicken nuggets, corn dogs, and frozen pizza. We have both a microwave and toaster oven in the camper.

Just so you know, you can take a cooler over to the Chip & Dale fire with hot dogs w/fixings and your own S'more stuff. It goes on long enough that you can (bring your own sticks) roast hot dogs on the fire, go sit and eat those, then go back to make your S'mores. We have done that with the grandchildren.

As mentioned, potatoes don't freeze well and just to mention it, neither does any kind of pasta that I've ever made. The only pasta we ever eat while camping is in Stouffer's chicken, broccoli and cheese casserole, which is delicious, by the way. I am not much on packaged frozen food, but that one is yummy. Stouffer's also makes good lasagna and meatloaf, if you want to go that route.

I think I've mentioned enough things to get you through the week. LOL If you don't have a toaster oven, go buy one! You can get one for about $35 or so at Walmart. Make sure you get one that has the bump out in the back to accommodate a frozen pizza!

HappyTraveler and Sjm9911 like this.
  9. Sjm9911

Oh ,pizza stone. I can do that. Havent even thought of it, because its an oven, lol. I figured the heat distrubution might not be good, i should try it, but too much other stuff to take care of. And the freezer thing from you both is key for me. I can always defrost on the countertop. Thats frowned upon now a days, but my mom did it my whole life and i survived! The freezer is way big , on ac it can freeze ice overnight. So , i figure if i leave with a freezer full of some sort of food i will have to do less. I hope.....

10. Sjm9911

Yes orchard, most of the freeze stuff beforehand was thought of because of you! Lol. It seems a better way to go for meals, at least when your time is at a premium and every minute spent cooking is time away from resting or the park. I do have other days build in for rest, but i think at this point, my kid cares less about nutritious food and more about pizza , nuggets, etc, so one meal for me a second for her. Im not doing that this time. Im getting wiser, not much but a little!

HappyTraveler and Orchid like this.
  11. Orchid

Most kids enjoy "walking tacos" also. Another thing to do with taco meat you can make at home and freeze. It's basically just individual sized bags of Fritos (or Doritos or whatever kind of chips you want) with meat, cheese, and whatever toppings you want sprinkled in the bag.

If your freezer is big enough, and your daughter likes pancakes and waffles, I would buy those frozen, too. I don't usually as there is not enough space in our freezer. But something kids like and syrup doesn't require cold storage.

Keeping your freezer as full as possible will make it use less power and keep the food frozen better.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  12. Orchid

:grin:[XK] I do this for all our camping trips. I know some people are really into the outdoor aspect of cooking, but I'm not one of them. LOL I want heat and serve while camping! While at Disney, I sure wouldn't be worried about nutritious and balanced meals. Just eat whatever the daughter will eat and have an amazing time!

HappyTraveler and Sjm9911 like this.
  13. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Your freezer is probably really good. Possibly too good.

I have put two pizza stones in my popup oven (okay, one was a slate tile) and they both cracked. Not in transit, mind you--I had them wrapped in a cabinet--but while cooking. What's up with that?

Pancakes. Hah. No way are my kids are getting maple syrup in my trailer!! The dog can only do so much.

I have 2 picky kids so we do a lot of burritos that they can customize. Carnitas is a good thing for, well, anything. Use for burrito night, next day add barbecue sauce and call it pulled pork. :) Freezes well, heats up easy in a skillet. Add to a bagged salad and adults can pretend they are eating healthy.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  14. Orchid

Haha, good point! My grandchildren are a train wreck, too! Probably for the best that our freezer isn't big enough.

Sjm9911 and HappyTraveler like this.
  15. Sjm9911

Ok ,made 2 lasagnas today , tomorow is breaded chicken cutlets, ill freeze 2 tins of those. Can make sandwiches, chicken parm , etc. Then maybe the tacos, shredded chicken and beef? So im getting this, just not used to it. Containers are aluminum, so i will eaither defrost before hand, a day or so or will start heating in oven to release from the aluminum then finish in the nuclear oven. Lol. Me using a microwave for something other then.....well me using a microwave! I never use it at home, maybe for a microwave vegetable 2x a week at most. This is new for me sorry all. Im also thinking of a frozen bag to throw in the crock pot, so frozen pot roast, meat spices , whoshchister sause, potatoes veggies all pre cut and spiced so just toss in the pot and hit slow cook. Maybe just maybe i can eat well and quickly!
    Oh frozen wafffles are there, just maybe on the mid trip shopping, when i have more room in the freezer. But i can make pancakes and bacon on a slow or fort morning and heat it up for the next day. Its just a long trip and i was stressing. I can do a week or 8 days , planing for 16 days is a bit much for me. At home i shop like every 4 days, lol. If this works i might do it at home! So now planning on bringing food for the fist half of the trip and then shop or get meal delivery for the 2nd leg. This will work!

16. neighbormike

made 2 lasagnas today , tomorow is breaded chicken cutlets

Do you ship??? [:D]

Honestly, don’t under-rate your oven... it will do what you need it to do!

kcsa75 and Sjm9911 like this.
  17. Sjm9911

Lol , i can ship. And cook , just not in int he camper.

18. neighbormike

I’ve yet to make lasagna (I’m ashamed to say). Cooking in the camper is really no different.... normally all my cooking is done outside, but this time of year I look for different options or at least an exit strategy! If I know it will be foul weather, I will precook certain items and have other ingredients precut or prepped so I can have a toss-together and cook meal. Last Saturday’s egg bake: I had precooked the sausage and had all my veggies chopped and ready to go... just had to crack eggs, dump together and bake.

J Starsky and Sjm9911 like this.
  19. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

As far as how good the freezers are, well no way to directly answer that without more details... But the Dometic in my late father in laws freezer worked every bit as well on Propane as my house freezer does on 110V...

The bigger concern would be the oven. Camp ovens, whether they be a Coleman folding camp oven, or a built in RV oven, aren't known for even heat distribution. Using baking stones evens this out, a LOT.

But that begs the question. You are bringing an instant pot, so why bother with the oven if you have hook ups? If you are on electric, switch your fridge / freezer to electric when you hook up, and do your heating in the instant pot, Get to the trailer, Dump, set, wait depending on the food maybe 30 minutes to pressurize, cook and depressurize, and enjoy. Same time you would take to preheat an oven and say bake a frozen pizza...

My wife and I do lots in the instant pot when we have electric. Prep it all ahead of time, so that it is a dump and go affair.

If I could get better at using the instant pot in the slow cooker mode I may never take down the crock pot again.

If you are willing to cook from mostly raw but prepped it will take a bit longer, for example...

Instant pot onion pot roast with veggies.

2 - 3lb pot roast cut into 1" or so thick slabs and pre seared.
    10 - 14 small golden potatoes approx 2 cups or so.
    1 packet onion soup mix
    1 cup water
    small bag / 1 cup baby carrots
    1 medium yellow onion peeled and cut into 1/8ths and separated

Pour water into bottom of instant pot
    Place veggies on top of the grate
    Place meat slabs on top of the veggies.
    Sprinkle the soup mix over the top of the meat.

Pressure cook on high for 35 minutes.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    Sjm9911 likes this.
  20. Sjm9911

Funny , as your post came up im finilizing the menu. I have 16 days total in the trip. The freezer is really good on power. Im loading it up now, i leave sunday at 4 or 5 am. Menu is planned around, semi easy stuff as we will be in the disney parks a lot, or just coming in from a long drive. ( not my normal planned out sort of thing) i am planing to go food shoping mifway through my trip, but am finding that a lot of stuff can fit in that rv freezer and fridge!
    So far i have , fried rice with Chinese BBQ pork frozen ( home made), 2 lasagnas, 2 trays of breaded chicken cutlets( so chicken parm sandwiches, and maybe just cutlets on another day)and a bag of frozen tomato sauce( also homemade)I froze some pork, chicken , steaks and sasage uncooked. Frozen waffles for the kido and some ice cream. I have, hot dogs and kabasie in the fridge , brakfast sasage and 2 lbs of bacon with yogurt, cheeses, salami , lettuce, onions and garlic. In the pantry i overstocked junk , to same fridge and freezer room , i got caned veggies, sauses, instant mashed potaotes, pankake mix, various snaks and soups. I plan to make a nice pasta fagioli one night, and my flatbread pizzas on the blackstone. So , while it will not be the best eating, it will definitely get us through a long time maybe 8 days. Lol. Tbh , i never get canned veggies, i probably will not eat them, but i will make my daughter eat them! I'll also pack freash fruit for the ride, it will last a bit, but i got the cups for parks. I think i was overthing stuff. I also, really dont need the instapot. I will probably bring it, if just to reheat or cook stuff fast. I can easily turn some of this stuff onto a stew, etc.