Help planning some meals.

Discussion in 'I Smell Something Cooking!' started by Sjm9911, Oct 16, 2019.

1. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how well I would do with home made lasagna frozen. I should try it. How would you reheat it? I am assuming you prepped and froze it in aluminum trays so you could go from freezer to oven. That would work great!

Sjm9911 likes this.
  2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Thats exactly what i did, i will defrost it in the fridge while traveling, or when at the destination. Then heat and serve. Microwave is alao an option now, though i never used one for more then popcorn and veggies. Lol

3. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Oh sure, make me rethink my cooking approach. Pre cooked take and heat meals would make time in camp WAY easier...

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. Sjm9911

Im learning that now ,lol. I will still cook some stuff, but this may be really easy and more relaxing. No more crap i forgot this spice or that one. And for the disney trip, i think I'm going to be pooped at the end of the day, easy enough to reheat and eat.

5. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I'm not fond of freezing and heating. My dad was the same way.

I have the oven in the clipper and have nevef had a problem with it cooking. The main thing is to place the rack in the proper height. I would never microwave (don't even have one in either camper) when camping with an oven.

With that, my trick for reducing cooking is to coordinate ingredients. I will cook enough faux hamburger to make tacos one night and add to spaghetti the next night - just add to the sauce while it is heating.

I'm also a biggie on flavored olive oils and balsamic vinegars. Great for salad dressing and marinades. Last trip I got a rosemary orange olive oil and used it to marinade faux shrimp (added a tbsp of orange juice and a few squirts of lemon juice). Then cooked the faux shrimp on the grill and added the leftover marinade to angel hair pasta with parmesan on top. Great shrimp scampi in less than 20 minutes. The next night, I just made rosemary orange angel hair pasta and loved it.

Going to experiment with a cucumber and melon balsamic vinegar on my next trip. Love it on sliced tomatoes with feta cheese. Adding the meyer lemon olive oil makes the flavor pop!

Sjm9911 likes this.
  6. Sjm9911

If i wasnt planning on the amusment parks all day , i would cook. But it is just easier to reheat something while i take a shower( then shower the kido), then to break out all the cooking stuff. I will do some meals from scratch, just not on the days were at the parks. Its almost the same as what your doing, i just made and froze it instead of using it the next day!

dbhost likes this.
  7. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

The fridge and freezer in our TT work great, we have the 2-door, 2-way Dometic that was the larger of the two sizes installed in our model year. Our food choices have improved greatly over tent and pup days. We take frozen meals we've cooked at home, since we tend to batch-cook for many of our home meals anyway. We don't have a built-in oven, though have a couple of stove-top models. We plan for meals that reheat in the microwave when we have power, otherwise, it's on stove top, in a pan or double boiler. I can stack our regular pans, the Magma have a clip-on handle and the other set has bail handles, with canning jar rings to make a double boiler.
    We also do meat/cheese sandwiches in the skillet, brats, hashed browns, etc.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  8. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

What do you mean faux hamburger and faux shrimp?

I think the point of the OP was they are going for a trip over a week, and straight up refrigeration won't quite suffice for prepped ahead meals.

From the description of the planned activity, get back to camp, start heating the meal, bathe the parents and the kids, then eat, I would think the instant pot would be perfectly suited, and prepped dump and cook meals ready to go, reheat leftovers in the oven if there are any next day. By the time the instant pot is done, the kids should be clean...

Sjm9911 likes this.
  9. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We take our Instant Pot on some trips, usually the 6 qt, if we'll have power. It's been great when we meet up with friends for Thanksgiving or for Rally pot lucks. I had thought I'd take the 3 qt on some trips with just two of us, but most of the time, we don't have power enough of the time to bother.
    We don't mind frozen meals, I learned a long time ago it was the best way to use food efficiently when I was single and working a schedule that made cooking fresh every day no practical, unless I wanted to be eating too late for me. There are some things that are better fresh, but soups and stews do really well frozen.

10. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

True, and honestly, if it were me, for the first 3 days I would have those meals refrigerated instead of frozen. Anything that has to hold more than 72 hours though, freeze it...

Yes, some things freeze much better than others. And mind you, the OP stated they were staying in a Disney park, which should have full hookups. To me, that is crock pot / instant pot territory. And again, if anyone can give me a clue how to use my instant pot as a slow cooker, then that solves one gear issue...

I am loving my little Coleman folding oven because it sort of forces us to pre plan and make smaller batches that MUST be used efficiently. We tend to not have too much in the way of leftovers. An example is...

Lasagna made as lasagna roll ups in a small loaf pan, and a quarter french loaf turned into garlic toast in the oven served with a bagged Caesar salad would be a good meal for 4 regular hungry not famished adults, or 2 adults, and 2 younger, pre puberty kids, You put a teenage boy in that mix and you have enough food for him and everyone else starves...

Sjm9911 likes this.
  11. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Vegetarian versions of shrimp and hamburger.

My post just meant that I can cook up something fresh in the same amount of time it takes to reheat a frozen dish. I rarely spend more than 10 minutes hands on cooking. I just don't like frozen meals (or crockpot type meals), so quick and easy fresh meals are my choice for busy days.

kcsa75 and Sjm9911 like this.
  12. Sjm9911

The lasagna freezes well, as does the cooked chicken and tomato sauce ( i cant stand jar type sauses). I will bring the insta pot also. You never know. And i can put frozen chicken and onion some carrots rice and a bit of chicken stock, and simple meal. Skip the lasagna and just make stuffed shells, almost the same thing and will fit in the loaf pan easier. The insta pot has 3 settings for slow cooking, i have used it once, the problem is that nothing thickens, i leave the vent open but it dosent let oyt enough moisture. Its good enough for camping, but not what i wanted when making meatballs and gravy.

13. Redbird234

Redbird234 Member

I like most pp do taco meat pre cooked, I use the crock pot in my pop up to do roast beef. One suggestion is if you have an Ikea near you then I would suggest their frozen potatoes. Once you get back you just throw them in a pot with some butter and milk, heat a veggie, cut up the roast beef and in under 10 minutes dinner is done.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  14. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

I have zero plans to ever use it, but the lady that owned my TT said they made cookies, bread, all kinds of stuff.

But I'm following your lead! My big trip next summer will require quickie 1 night stops, which will limit my interest in erecting the "mess tent" for my grilling and eating pleasure...

Sjm9911 likes this.
  15. Sjm9911

My first leg of the trip is 9 and a half hours, so factor normal rest stops, brakfast and lunch, ( yea i stop for a break and fuel). I figure like 11 and a half hours. Thats if my daughter cooperates. Usally she has to go to the bathroom as soon as we leave the rest stop. Lol. Then its surch the next town for a place that has a big enough spot to park the camper! Last trip someone parked in front of me in a dirt parking lot, luckily i as able to find them and have them move because i didnt have enough room to back out. So after say 12 hours on the road, i dont want to drag out the propane tanks, table , etc eaither.

dbhost and J Starsky like this.