Help please Popup ceiling/roof AC or Fan replacement

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by JunieB, Nov 30, 2018.

1. JunieB

JunieB Active Member

It had these: https://colemanpopupparts.com/collections/roof-assembly/products/a-c-braces
    embedded in the styrofoam layer just under the aluminum shell.
    Parts description sounded like, they should have been instead clamping all the way around from aluminum shell top down to lowest layer. Is that correct?
    Also there was already a roof brace that goes from side to side.
    What more does a Taos need? Is there still hope for this PUP?
    Oh that AC was so wonderfully nice and cold, but it only took being out like twice to realize the roof leaked.

2. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

A/C installation kit for your Taos is specific to that one model, described on Page 8 of the Fleetwood 2003 Accessory Parts Book.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0273/4347/files/2003_coleman_accessories.pdf?16695232820753828628

Kit you've linked to isn't the same kit. I've owned other Fleetwood models but never a Taos and can't tell you any more than this about this particular kit. Never had to use one at all when I installed A/C on my 2000 Santa Fe which had an ABS roof.

3. JunieB

JunieB Active Member

I appreciate the link to that page, thanks.
    The elements of that kit you linked, I believe my Taos had. The four "extrusion" channels, #3--pictured in upper right corner are what popped out of the styrofoam when I unknowingly tried to screw through them for Fan. Much to my chagrin.
    They are also listed under the Destiny series requirements.
    What I linked to was the current Coleman popup parts seller that is our lifeline== that sells the channel brackets, still.
    Extrusion is a manufacturing method, actually. Sort of like squirting icing (hot metal) out of a specialized icing tip to get the shape you want. (I had a machinist Dad who taught me using hand tools, too. LOL to this day, he complains about "stamped" silverware, and he's right.)

Braces-- just have to check that I actually two and not one. Can't do it this minute-- thunderstorm in progress.
    The "sagging" happened between the middle brace and the back brace-or-roofwall. It's not a big sag, just about 1/2"-1" low. Distance of only 3 feet from front support to rear support-- not far. My cut-and-finished to fit veneer is still sitting in the den, so I measured.

Here in sunny (and soggy) FL, the combination of moisture, all that sun hitting right on the roof, bouncing down the road with 100 lbs on the roof-- has a way of weakening anything insubstantial like an aluminum skin. It's also murder on rubber parts but that's another topic.
    I believe that adding additional Braces connecting Front brace to rear Brace-- could improve things over the original design and reduce the very-slight-roof sag. Would take some sort of metal fabrication shop, perhaps?
    Thanks again.

The grommet x1- -probably just channels the electrical cord through the brace opening. Nylon clamp- not sure where that is, probably had that too. Decals, straps, pins-- meh, they are not supportive.
    The Mounting Bracket X4-- not sure what that is. No pic there, unfortunately. Still have a heckuva lot of metal pieces that came out, with the AC, when the guy removed it. Still got it all.

Mainly, possibly still have the needing-new-AC spongy gasket plus-get-rid-of the roof-sag issue. There is hope here for a remedy. Thanks much.

4. JunieB

JunieB Active Member

Update. Got the Fantastic Fan on at last. Including Dicor. I only used 2 corner brackets as DANG those truss-brackets (I'll call them) are hard to hammer in correctly to both boards, plus I wanted a little leeway in case I didn't achieve or need a perfect square.
    I liked the result of using the wood interior frame. As you screw in the screws after slightly pre-drilling the holes, that serves to tighten everything up top-to-bottom all the way around.
    Photos below, inside and out. Probably still have a center seam issue, on the back. The center seam was cut to the dimensions needed for the AC, but the fan is smaller. Nothing a little more messing with this and getting some Eternabond tape and more work can't fix, I hope.

Ah well, nothing is quite as exciting as going off to camp this weekend in FL with a major thunderstorm threatening in a PUP that may not have a watertight roof yet, right? LOL?! See SE Rally thread.
    Other note: I do have the two cross-support beams.

Fan is on exterior.JPG

Attached Files:

Sjm9911 likes this.
  5. JunieB

JunieB Active Member

AND I am pleased to report I completed job with NO Dicor in-a-tube getting on my clothing. It was on my hands (forgot the gloves until too late). Sort of looks like a French manicure under the fingernails, not too bad. It was on a drill bit. It was on a couple small bits of the roof where not intended. I scraped off with a knife. It was-- INSIDE the pup, where a little oozed through, but thankfully no mattress underneath. That has to be the GOOIEST substance invented by humankind. A little mineral spirits cleans up most hard surfaces. If you get it on cloth-- you're toast.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  6. JunieB

JunieB Active Member

Per the registration issue-- if sold to original owner and they registered/licensed in 2004 (just a few months after manufacture then a 2004 Registration date is indeed correct. A vehicle is registered as it is sold to an owner not before. In this State at least. Then forever after the first tag, the tag renews on your birthdate.
    I am still chugging around with the Fantastic Fan not AC. Leaks have stopped. DiCor lap sealant good stuff. But I tarp it over in Summer