help replacing 7 plug trailer hookup

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by jmcelvoy, May 11, 2016.

1. jmcelvoy

jmcelvoy Member

Today we got our camper out to prep for this weekends camping trip and I noticed the round plug that goes in to our trailer hookup was busted. I picked up a replacement plug, but the wiring on my camper doesn't match up to the instructions for the plug or anything I can find online. My camper has a thick red wire, a brown wire, green wire, thin red wire, yellow wire, and then a thick white wire with a thin yellow wire soldered to it. The plug I picked up has from top working around clockwise: 1White, 5Red, 3Green, 4Black, 6Brown, 2Blue, then a center post. Can anyone please advise me on how I need to plug all this together to make things work?

Attached Files:

2. carolinacamper

carolinacamper Member

I had to do something similar last year. Your plug wiring diagram may be different than your camper but the principles are the same. You will have a left turn, right turn, brake lights, possibly brake controller, 12v and ground or something like that. If you can figure out the wiring for your camper you can align to the plug to your tv.

Your other option is to try and get the camper to a U-haul dealer. They can rewire the plug for you.

3. generok

generok Well-Known Member

This will help.

[​IMG]

If the plug on the tow vehicle is non standard, then I can't be of much help. Above is the standard convention for trailer plugs though.

4. jmcelvoy

jmcelvoy Member

I picked up a circuit tester and was able to identify the tail lights, right turn signal, and left turn signal. Also, the right and left turn signal activated the brakes as well. So with the slot at the 12 o'clock position, the connection immediately to the left is my tail lights, the connection at 9 o'clock is left turn, and 3 o'clock is right turn. The problem is I have no clue what the wiring on the trailer is. I pulled all the lights and the only wires I see are white, green, and black. I don't see anything yellow, brown, or red. Also, when picking up the circuit tester, the guy said the thick white cord with the yellow one soldered to it was most likely the connection to charge the battery and it would go in the center post. Does that sound right? How can I figure out what color my brake lights, and turn signals use? Last question, I have a thick red wire...is that my 12V connection? The wiring diagram that came with the plug shows 12V immediately to the right of the slot on top.

5. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

No, the white wire is most likely the ground wire. Easy to test using the ohm function of your new meter.

The thick red wire is most likely the hot 12vdc line. If you have a battery connected in the trailer, set your meter to volts and test it.

6. jmcelvoy

jmcelvoy Member

I was able to trace some of the wires. The thick white wire does come out of the batter box. The thick red wire runs down the right side of the camper all the way to the back. There is also 3 wires running the same path as the thick red wire, and those are brown, green, and red. I do have electric breaks as both tires on my camper has a couple wires spliced off running in to the tires. I'm not sure what color they are though. I only got a circuit testing, not a volt-o-meter. It's similar to this attachment.

Also, I'm assuming the ground is the connection between the camper hookup and my truck ball. That's what I've been reading online.

Attached Files:

7. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Your assumption is wrong. The ball does not provide adequate ground. Look at the graphic provided by generoc.

Unfortunately your test light is of minimal value. A VOM (volt-ohm-meter) would be more useful. A VOM is free at Harbor Freight with coupon or $5 without. Probably $10-$20 at some other local places.

8. jmcelvoy

jmcelvoy Member

I dug a little more in depth and the white is in fact the ground. It comes off the negative of the battery, goes under the trailer then is bolted on and there is a 2nd white wire that comes off of that and goes to the plug. The thick red wire goes to the positive of the batter, then is spliced and one end goes to the plug and the other runs to the back of the camper. Is there a way to test which one is supposed to be the ground on the car plug so I can make sure it's right? Also, the wire that was soldered to the white wire is yellow/brown. Does it need to stay with the ground connection?

9. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

I suspect the yellow/brown is a secondary ground.

Since the White is the ground, you can use the battey to energize each wire and see what turns on. Or you might get lucky and pull the lens caps off the rear lights to see what the wire colors are for left, right and running lights.

For the brake line, you should be able to look under the trailer as the wire going to the drums.

10. jmcelvoy

jmcelvoy Member

I just pulled the entire brake light housing off and the left turn is red and the right turn is brown. I used my circuit tester and found the left turn on the truck is the 9 o'clock connection and right turn is 3 o'clock. I hooked that up and still got no turn signals. Do I have to have all them in the right place before the turn signals will work?

11. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

Do you have the ground wire connected?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

12. jmcelvoy

jmcelvoy Member

I thought I did, but not sure. I'm trying to identify the ground and the positive on the truck hookup but not sure how to do that.

13. jmcelvoy

jmcelvoy Member

I finally got it. A friend of mine told me to hook the alegator clip of my circuit tester to the positive of my battery then use the probe to find the ground on my truck hookup. Once I did that, I then made sure the ones I had tested before still tested out and hooked them up. So all it well and working now. Thanks for the suggestions.