Help Stoltzfus in West Chester PA sold us a brand new leaking camper!

Discussion in 'RV Dealers & Repair Shops' started by Mardevmitch, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Mardevmitch

Mardevmitch New Member

My fiance and I are thrilled to be part of the camping community! We've been thinking about buying a camper for years, and we finally did! A 2015 Viking V12RBST from Stoltzfus in West Chester, PA. We decided to buy from this company because it is employee owned, and we respect that. We picked up our camper last Saturday and saw a puddle in our driveway Saturday afternoon, from the white water tank.... we called and Stoltzfus said they would fix it because it's under warranty! What?! We just left from the lot!!

Well, we went camping with it this past weekend.... and we loved it! Until... the rain was under our mattress and dripping from the A-frame onto the floor. There was condensation around the door, puddling on the floor, and there was condensation all along the frame. We were heartbroken and had to sleep on the dinette.

We spoke with our credit card company, and we can dispute the purchase. Stoltzfus says they will fix the issue, but we are skeptical. Why would they ever sell this to us?! Are these issues even fixable? Should we just start the dispute process now?

Can anyone give us some advice on what to do? Is this condensation normal? Should there be ANY condensation?

Thank you for any help you can give...
    Marion

2. JMSubRN

JMSubRN New Member

I have no advice. What a flippin' nightmare! I was so worried about something like this when we were searching because we were getting a used PUP. I can't even imagine how downtrodden you must be with this being brand new.
    Just want to say I am sorry and I hope everything works out for you. [emoji17]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Mardevmitch

Mardevmitch New Member

Jmsubrn, thank you.... you're sincere is appreciated...if only the dealer had said what you did... thanks!

4. Yak

Yak Well-Known Member

You wont get your money back with them getting a shot at fixing it, just like a car.

5. Shrek1214

Shrek1214 New Member

I happen to live 30 minutes from that dealer, only bought mine from Bridgeton travel trailer cause, that's who had my camper at the Atlantic City RV Show...ANYWAY, here is my advice.....Give them the opportunity to look at it and assess the situation, PLUS that rain we had this weekend was by no means normal rainfall and I think any PUP camper would have been dealing with leak,or condensation issues...Good luck with everything!

6. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

Agree with Shrek1214, our pup doesn't leak (I am knocking on wood as I type), but several years ago we were had some bad storms with sideways wind and rain and we had puddles on the floor. Water was coming in from the vents and it was a mess. Haven't experienced any leaking since that trip. Even if you take it back in, they probably won't be able to replicate that kind of weather and have no idea where the leaking is coming from. Document all your experiences, take photos and keep a file if you have to go to court. But, if it was me, I would just keep camping.

7. vinmaker

vinmaker Member

Do you remember if it was a cool or cold night of rain? I know condensation can be simply from having too much moisture in the camper. This can especially happen when your wet from outside and come in. I know it sounds strange but when it is cool out, you can get this type of condensation that will create water. Much like a glass of ice water on a humid day.

Crazy weather can sometimes cause water to seep in also as win driven rain can be blown into areas that are not sealed that way. Most pop ups are engineered to prevent leaks when the water is rolling down them. Not sideways or rain being pushed up by wind.

I too think you should have them take a look at it. I feel your frustration. Water problems are never fun.

Good luck and I hope everything works out well for you.

VIn.

8. TheFergusonFamily

TheFergusonFamily New Member

My parents bought a brand new 38 ft travel trailer last year and had some leak issues right from the start. They contacted the dealer and they told them to bring it in because it was under warranty, but they too were a little worried. So they contacted the warranty department for the manufacturer and kept them in the loop on what all was going on. It seems the manufacturer has some pull when it comes to dealers fixing issues that they probably don't really want to fix. Maybe you should do the same. Contact the manufacturer too.

Just a thought. Hope you get everything fixed!!

9. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Many campers have warranty issues that need to be addressed, such as your fresh water tank, which the dealer was seemingly willing to fix. It would be great if everything was perfect at delivery, but it doesn't seem to happen very often, though issues are often small.

Condensation can be substantial, especially in extreme humidity. If you did not have good air circulation, under rainy conditions, if you were shut inside, that might be your issue. With our TT, new last fall, we had quite a bit of condensation on the first couple of trips when it rained, as as learned to manage air circulation.

10. whitecastleman

whitecastleman Member

Mardevmitch- sorry to hear about your experience. I would take the good advice of other comments here and try to work with the dealer on this. NascarFan's suggestion to take pictures is good. Keep us informed.

11. daschnoz

daschnoz Active Member

Yup, we had almost 3" of rain on Saturday - everything from light drizzle to monsoon downpour.

As others have said - these things are designed to take rain from a "normal" direction. Being that they pop-up, if the seams are not 100% aligned, there could be gaps that let the monsoon in; gaps that would be perfectly acceptable in a normal rainfall.

Let the dealer have their shot at it. It's brand new. My NTU PUP is in the shop right now with a failed A/C unit. The A/C unit was installed new for us when we bought the PUP back in February of this year. Failure out of the box - it happens....

One thing that you an do to combat condensation - if your thermostat will allow it, run the A/C and the heat at the same time. [?:~{] It makes no sense at first, but here's why it works (trust me on this, I work for an HVAC company - and I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night [8D] )

Cold air holds less moisture. The condensation that drips out of the A/C is just that - water that was condensed (squeezed) out of the air as the air is cooled. BUT, the A/C is only concerned about the air temperature - not the relative humidity. Once the A/C thermostat is satisfied (temperature only), it stops cooling - which also stops the dehumidification. Now you have air that is cold and damp. [:(O] If you turn on the heat, the A/C will not be happy with the warm air and kick back on. Compressor running = moisture being removed from the air.

12. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I worked n RV's for awhile for two different companies, This probably was not the dealers fault, but happened at the factory, I have saw (and repaired) RV's that had the windows in upside down, Bent frames on trailers etc. all from the factory, we (the dealer) always made it good whenever possible, and that was most times. I would give the dealer a chance to fix the problem.

13. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

The OP is being unrealistic and owes the manufacturer and dealer the opportunity to make it right before bashing them across multiple RV forums. If they fail to fix any issues, then the bashing would be justified. So far the dealer has had no opportunity to fix anything.

14. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

I think that the OP's response to the issue is a bit overkill. You should work with the dealer to try to resolve the problem. If after numerous attempts the issue isn't resolved, then it's time to take a stand. Don't launch the nukes over a stubed tow.

15. JMSubRN

JMSubRN New Member

Woah! I don't read any "bashing" going on here except towards the OP. I am new to this whole world of camping in something other than a tent. I have found this forum to be very informative and folks very helpful.
    The first thing anyone asks when a question is posed is for specifics about everything. What's your TV? What type of PUP? How far are you planning on towing? Etc. I think the OP named the dealer in hopes that maybe someone else had had some dealings with them. You know, info and specifics.
    I don't know the OP or the dealer in question, but as another newbie I would appreciate some kind words and help for an issue such as this. I would be furious if I forked out the dough for a NEW PUP and it was already broken. Heck, I'd have been mad if we drug our used one home and something was other than what we expected. As a newbie, I would expect a little condensation because the same happens in a tent but I would not expect enough to puddle, for example.
    A new or NYU PUP comes with a learning curve. For some of us that curve is almost a circle. Ha! Please give us the opportunity to do just that; learn, without degradation.
    Remember, tone and expression does not come across in text.
    That said, I don't visit other forums. I have found this one to be what I need and time to search around the web is at a premium. I don't know what kind of "bashing" may have gone in elsewhere.

16. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Whether it's a stereo or a Camper, the way it should be handled is the same. Make note of any issues and then address your concerns to the retailer/dealer. If the issues are not fixed then reevaluate the situation and go to the next level.

Going into any situation with both barrels cocked is never good. You don't want to put the other party instantly on the defensive.

I was told that the OP posted similar topics on other RV websites, almost as if they were intentionally bashing the dealership. I don't know if this is true or not but I would think it's not a good idea. You need to form a relationship with the dealer not make an enemy.

Keep in mind too that many of the issues reported in this topic could not before seen by the dealer before the sale and are really the fault of the manufacture, whoever that might be.

Times are tough for everyone and because of that these manufacturers are shorthanded. They don't spend as much time or money in quality control as they should. Things get messed until you get to the consumer level and that's when the problems are found. The customer is unfortunately the quality control.

17. betancourtfamily6

betancourtfamily6 New Member

I didn't read it as bashing at all..... They purchased a "new" product, for what probably was a good sum of money, and expected that product to perform like any of us would expect a new product to perform (read "new" here and "won't leak"). Period.

That being said, I do believe the dealership / and or the manuf/ should be allowed to fix the problem.. but I'd be on any future problem like white on rice....

18. mred

mred 2008 Fleetwood Avalon, 2001 f350

Yea man, Take it to the dealer. Stolsfus has been in business a long time. You don't do that by not taking care of your people. Give em a shot. and let us know how it turns out.

19. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

OP is being very unrealistic. Why on earth would you have contacted your CREDIT CARD company before even allowing the dealer to have a look at it?

The attitude shown at something as minor as the first problem (water tank leak, which is likely just a loose fitting that needs to be tightened, says it all.

20. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

SPEAKING FROM VERY SIMILAR PERSONAL EXPERIENCE WITH BRAND NEW RV:

Mardevmitch, You are having a significant eye opener. You are being "unrealistic" only because you must be new to the world of RV junk. Your responses are out of shock and dismay. When unexpected failures occur with a vehicle that we have dreamed of and worked very hard to obtain, we respond strongly and sometimes in the wrong direction. You may want to cease the transaction if that's possible. We get that.

Some Likely Thoughts and Words: "Hey, I am not cool with this. I just got screwed! This thing is really an utter pile of poorly assembled junk! It is not what I was told and sold by the manufacturer's marketing and the dealer's sales' pitches!"

But if you want the camper, you have to be all in and "join the club." In the RV owner club, your poorly manufactured vehicle will need lots of care, repair, and maintenance. Sadly, this is the case even when it's right off the showroom floor. If you decide to be in the club, you need to go to the dealer and allow them to access the situation and do what they can to repair it under warranty.

Be prepared. The dealer will probably not fix it right. The manufacturer may be slow to respond/pay the dealer or have you jump hoops, too. The dealer may keep your camper for a really long time. You may have to return your camper several times. Both of these happen a lot. Once in a while, they get it done in a relatively prompt manner and do the job to your satisfaction. That would be awesome. Hope for this, but don't be devastated when it doesn't happen.

Last and definitely not least, in the RV club you need to be as resourceful and self sufficient as possible in the care of your camper. You will take better care of it than anyone else. All of us cannot fix and/or improve everything on our campers, but we all do need to do the best and most that we can to fix and care for its needs. You can take the time to do things right. If you have a big cash flow, you can pay others to do everything for you. If you don't have wads of dough, then you have to do as much as you can yourself and/or find reliable people to help you. That's one reason why the PopUp Portal Neighborhood is so great! An RV is like any other luxury item (boat, plane, motorcycle, classic vehicle . . .), they require lots of care and expense. The more you can mitigate the expenses and limit the breakdowns by doing things right yourself, the better your RV will last and perform. An RV (by design and function - a traveling apartment in a box on wheels) in particular is needy; they are high maintenance, and they are not finely crafted high quality items. They have many features, but they are not rock solid products. They are mostly mass produced out of wood, glue, staples, cheaper and cheaper steel, fiberglass, and other polymers. As a result they have tons of issues. It just comes with the territory. Of course the manufacturers and dealers don't tell us this - They Can't! They have to sell it to us!

Personally, we hope that the RV camping life is for you. If not, it's completely understandable. It's not for everyone. After our "eye opener," we had to make our own decision as well. We find that the joy we share in our time together with the PUP is worth the time, tedium, and cost it demands of us. The Portal Neighborhood played a huge role in our decision to keep our PUP. The support and friendship we found here kept us encouraged and excited to camp and travel with our "high maintenance dependent." Now we have memories and friends that we treasure. Keep us posted.
    M&K