HELP - Velcro coming off

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by Keith Hawkins, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Keith Hawkins

Keith Hawkins Active Member

The Velcro on the door to hold the canvas has come off. I took the door apart and see the Velcro was actually connected to a plastic insert. I removed the insert and am trying to get the Glue residue off of it but am having a very hard time. Called Forest River and they are no longer carrying the plastic.

Here's my question - Would you continue to try and remove the glue residue and only apply the Velcro to the plastic and put it back in or would you attach the Velcro directly to the Aluminum door frame?

Anyone have any idea if the Velcro sticky back would stick to the Aluminum very well?

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Try some Goo Gone. Once it's clean let it dry real well and wipe clean a few times with warm water several times over the course of a day. Then replace the original Velcro with the correct side using industrial strength Velcro with which the canvas side Velcro will adhere.

Replicate the manufacturers location as far as where to put this. Another words put it on the plastic.

Most units now have the Velcro directly on the door frame. My concern is that you may stretch and inadvertently damage your canvas if you're over reaching where it was originally supposed to go.

3. bondebond

bondebond New Member

Steve hit upon my thoughts exactly. It is important to note that he said Industrial Velcro which can be found at Lowes/HD/etc near the screws and fasteners. I have used it a number of times and it rarely comes off of mating surface (I have had separation but the surface was a low adhesion surface).

Goo Gone works to remove the old goo as well as lighter fluid (won't attack plastic) and works faster IMO. When you're done, thoroughly clean the plastic surface with Dawn to remove any grease from your hands, then attach the industrial Velcro. It will adhere to aluminum quite well and last a good, long time.

My canvas has begun to shrink over the years so I actually had to use of wide strip of industrial Velcro to fill the gap between the canvas and the Velcro on the door frame. It isn't an elegant solution to that particular problem but it blends in pretty well and is still functional 3 years later.

4. Keith Hawkins

Thank you both for the replies. Unfortunately I do not think the old plastic piece is going to suffice, I used Gorilla glue on it last year and that stuff is just proving to hard to get off.

That being said, I am going to attach the Velcro directly to the door frame and then use bondebond's idea of connecting the canvas and the door via a third piece of Velcro. I believe the canvas must have shrunk over the years as I have to really put all my might into stretching it far enough to connect it to the door (only got the PUP last year and it was this way right from the beginning).

Again, thanks for the input.

5. Keith Hawkins

I used 2" industrial Velcro to fill the gap and tested it this past weekend. Worked fantastic, better than when I first got the PUP. Thanks for the suggestion!