Help! When DampRid attacks!

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by mostlyok, Nov 23, 2011.

1. mostlyok

mostlyok We're Mostly OK!

We use good old Damprid and it works very well keeping out the moisture.
    But I had the container tip over sometime in the last month or two and it is soaked into the "wood" of the upper sink cabinet when it was in the down postion. Now it is swelling and absorbing moisture into the partical board "wood". HELP! what should we try to get it dried out?? [:O] We have towels on it all but I don't know....

Thanks!
    Heidi

2. bigdad

bigdad Active Member

Is there a 1-800 number on the can that you can call and ask them how you can stop it if they can't help you might have to redo the upper sink cabinet.

3. 1madscot

1madscot Member

Bad news, but you'll want to remove that wood as soon as you can. The liquid that forms with the damp rid is corrosive, and can destroy the wood it soaks into. You won't be able to save the piece it's effected to this point, but by removing it now, you can save the rest of the structure. Then you can make a new one to suit your needs better, a pop up project to share with us :) (just trying to look for a bright side here)

4. Richard

Richard Take kids camping. It's great for you and them.

Well said, madscot! Particle Board is just silly for use in areas where it can get wet, but it's cheap and so many manufacturers use it around sinks, etc. Plan on rebuilding that cabinet with plywood or something similar.

5. mostlyok

I emailed the company and the nice man said there was nothing you can do. You have to remove the particle board. Stupid stuff....... (the Particle board, not the Damprid.) 1/4" Particle swells to 1" thick when it gets salt in it and just keeps sucking in all the water from the air!
    Damprid is made of-Sodium Chloride, Potasium Chloride and Calcium Chloride.

Fortunately the rug the galley was sitting on kept the stuff from spreading to other areas.
    We had towels to keep it from spreading, fortunately it is only the face and not the entire cabinet.

We took the face off and Paul is going to make a replacement out of Ply. We have ordered some Oak Contact paper and will cover with that.
    I have to say with the face off, I could go crazy and put in glass front doors with roll out shelves....Hmmmm.
    I think we will just recreate what is there, for now, but it does make one think. I might plan if for the future. Oh the possibilites. [:D]

I will be putting the Damprid container in a bucket from now on that's for sure.

Happy Thanksgiving!

6. 1madscot

1madscot Member

If I may...rather than using ply and a picture of oak, why not get some oak faced ply? It will be a better quality ply, fewer voids, and the end result will make you much happier. Not a huge cost difference, and you can often find 1/2 and 1/4 sheets.

7. mostlyok

We managed to get the face off and rebuild it. We think we did a "MostlyOK" job of it. Just waiting for the Contact paper to arrive to finish the face.

I agree, but we needed to get it fixed for now. We installed it with screws, so we could always redo and improve later if we see some nice materials. We are not so afraid of it now that we had to take it apart and rebuild it. Gives me too many ideas for upgrades.......

http://community.webshots.com/album/581876484ZdhXdC

I am feeling much better now. :)

8. rawlus

rawlus New Member

I place damp rid on the floor and I duct tape the container into position to ensure it won't accidentally tip.

9. mostlyok

Got 'er done!
    I finally finished the repair to the 'kitchen' [8D]. The DampRid spill caused a lot of hassle. Particle board sure does soak up the chemicals [:(O]. And DampRid says it's hopeless. I desparately removed the damaged face to prevent the spread of more damage. Next I used some plywood to replace the panel. After lousy working conditions (and no time off) I was able to get to the final fix done this weekend. I purchased some veneer and cut it to rough size. Then used contact cement to cover the plywood. Next was trimming out the holes and edges. I learned this part many years ago, working with repairing pianos (my first job! :grin:) .Use a rasp to scrape the edges, removing the veneer right at the edge. Finally, with a lot of luck, the polyurethane (MinWax) stain matched colors perfectly! I haven't worked with wood this way in a long time. I'm feeling really good [:D] about the results.
    Pictures at http://community.webshots.com/user/mostlyok under "Upper Galley Repair".

10. 1madscot

1madscot Member

OUTSTANDING! You did one heck of a repair job there. [:D]

11. mickkjhc

mickkjhc New Member

You can find a similar product with the same dehumdifying properties as Damprid at the Dollar Tree, in a spillproof container. It sucks moisture out of the air for about 2 months before needing replacement. We use these for our closets, but they are also cheap and effective (and won't spill) in campers.

12. Jayko

Jayko Jayco 141J aka Big Bertha

Next time put it in a wash bucket. If it tips it will stay in the bucket

13. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

I keep my DampRid in a the 5 gallon bucket that acts as my loo while in storage and for travel. Bungee'd the handles so nothing is going to move! [;)]

But truth be told, before all these chemicals were being used heavily, I grew up camping and using small bowls of plain charcoal in several places to absorb moisture.
    [:D]

14. papachaz

papachaz New Member

wow mostlyok, you did a great job with that! and, i have to admit i did some snooping around in your pics [:D] i absolutely LOVE the way you've got patches from all your camping trips, that is AWESOME! this year when we bought the TT, we decided we'd get a small decal to stick on the outside to document our trips, and it's amazing how many places don't have them! but, i don't remember going somewhere that didn't have the patches, so maybe we'll start doing that, awesome, thanks for sharing your photos with us!

15. babar

babar Don't throw effort after foolishness

Wow! Good to know... I'll have to keep that in mind if/when I need to use damprid again.

I'm feeling very fortunate right now that my camper is mostly steel and aluminum. I haven't yet found the rot, I'm sure it's there somewhere.