Help. Which Battery Post to Connect White, Black & Green Wires

ccombs0708

Oct 19, 2021
Just picked up a used pop up. Bought a new battery. Three wires near battery for connecting. White wire has a battery post connector. Black wire has a battery post connector, but the green wire is just cut without a connector. Which battery posts do I connect each wire to?

ccombs0708

Oct 19, 2021
1999 Jayco Eagle. Model info stickers are worn off and the model is not on my title. It’s a basic 1999 Jayco Eagle small pop up camper.

Last edited:

ccombs0708

Oct 19, 2021
Generally speaking, on most pop up campers (minus a wire harness or plug of some sort), isn’t the white hot/positive and black negative?

ccombs0708

Oct 19, 2021
Thanks. Just to confirm. I connect large thick wire that is connected to frame to negative battery post, then white on top of that, then black to positive?

Arruba

Super Active Member
Nov 28, 2014
Central Oregon
Tracing your wiring is a good idea as the wire you describe IMO isn’t commonly used 12 volt circuit wire. What I gather from your description is it’s 110 volt ac appliance wire, that’s why you have a green wire. In a 110 application, black is hot or positive, white is neutral, and green is ground. In my experience a 12 volt system should be black positive and white ground. I’m hesitant to say that’s standard because for example my old Viking uses red and black wiring throughout the interior. The point is check where/what it connects to so you don’t inadvertently cross wire the connection if someone wired it to non standard. Don’t be surprised to find the green wire doesn’t connect to anything on either end because in your RV application it’s not needed.

Good luck

Last edited: