Help with “first come” spots in the Sawtooth area?

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by Oldshirt, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Oldshirt

Oldshirt Member

Looking for help in how to go about getting “first come” sites in the Sawtooth National Forest area. I don’t live far away (140 miles) but really would hate to get the PUP there and not find a spot. Planning on leaving EARLY Monday morning for 4 nights. Any insight as to what chances are and how to go about is greatly appreciated!

2. hayyward

hayyward Active Member

It's my experience that many people head home on Sunday at our favorite campground. I'd say Monday would be a good chance at a site. This is exactly what we're doing tomorrow (Thursday). Driving a few hours to a CG that doesn't take reservations hoping that the weekend campers haven't yet arrived and we'll get a spot. We usually do. Not always though so we do have a plan B.

I've often wished for a spotter. A "local" whom I would pay to drive out the the CG to find out what's open, maybe place an object in the site until we get there or something. I need to befriend a local. :)

Good luck with your site!

3. Oldshirt

Oldshirt Member

Thanks Hayward! I’ll definitely be on the road early to hover over spots. Have a great trip and fill me in afterwards!

4. hayyward

hayyward Active Member

You too. :)

5. hayyward

hayyward Active Member

Hey Oldshirt, we got our site! We arrived Thursday late afternoon and there was one lakeside site left. Hope you were lucky too!
    20190622_172110.jpg

6. Oldshirt

Oldshirt Member

Way to go! Me, well, last minute canx due to DW appointments unknown to me until last minute. That’s cool, as we will head up to the Sawtooths in short order. Will surely use your insight when we go. Glad you got a great site lakeside!!!

hayyward likes this.
  7. hayyward

hayyward Active Member

I'm sure that was disappointing, good luck next time. It is the Sawtooth mountains where we go too, in northern MN by Lake Superior. The highest peak is just over 2000 ft but they're majestic just the same. :) Happy Camping!