Help with a cast iron griddle/grill seasoning

Discussion in 'Pots, Pans, Grills, Other Cookware / Cleaning & Fo' started by jmkay1, Dec 28, 2016.

1. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I need some help. My mom bought a new stove which actually came with a cast iron griddle/grill. On day one she tried to use it and everything stuck like glue to it. So she called me up asking for help. I seasoned it with vegetable oil twice. However everything is still sticking like glue even if we loaded the griddle with oil. I again put another two coats on it, and it's still just the same although a little better now. Any ideas what I can do get this thing in workable condition? No idea what brand this is, but the pores on it are wider than the Lodge cookware I'm used to using.

2. sierrapup

sierrapup Active Member

vegetable oil tends to burn, I cook and season with coconut oil...I think I get a better result, and the oil doesn't turn black

3. Arruba

Arruba Active Member

Try stripping it and starting anew. Probably the easiest way to strip cast iron anymore is to give it a good soap and water wash, then put it in a self cleaning oven and run the clean cycle. There are YouTube videos on the process that cover the fine points of the process.

Good luck....

4. hotrodcamper

hotrodcamper Member

I'd probably strip the old seasoning,and then either bacon grease,or the Lodge spray for seasoning. While the Lodge spray oil is a little on the expensive side,it does work well.

5. BigRedTruck

BigRedTruck Member

My wife uses Crisco to season all of her cast iron cookware. They have a nice sheen to them after she gets done with them.

6. culverap

culverap New Member

For the sticking issue, you probably have way too much oil in the pan. A better oil is flax seed oil for seasoning. Also, your heat needs to be very high (500 or more) in your oven for the oil to break down enough to adhere to the pan.

A good tutorial I used that worked really well was this one:

https://youtu.be/KLGSLCaksdY

7. Beecoach

Beecoach Member

Crisco works well
    Oil makes it gummy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. FL_Bill

FL_Bill I'm cooking something yummy!

Oh boy, so may opinions...

Here is mine! DO NOT put in oven on clean cycle. You can google it and see why that is a bad idea.

You do need to clean it very well. At this time I would say you may want to strip it completely. You can do this with lye or you can just clean it by bringing some water to a boil on it and scrubbing with a wire brush. Again google will tell you how to clean it. Easy off in a bag will work same as lye. any lye method will STRIP all the rust and grime off to bare metal. Neat to do with any used CI you pick up.

After you have all the food off it you need to dry it with paper towels or a dry rag. Use some heat to help it dry completely. Then rub it down with lard or a high grade, high temp oil. (coconut and flax seed oil are both good. I do not care for the way coco oil taste.) I use lard all the time. Take a paper towel and fold it over it make a small square and rub it in the lard and then use it to coat griddle. You can heat it back up some to help open the pores in the metal. Do not over heat it. I would recommend cooking bacon on it a few times and use metal utensils to help smooth the metal.

Something I have learned over time is if you are having too much trouble you may be cooking at too high a heat. Do not be afraid to kill the fire and cook on just the heat of the griddle. You can kick on the flame every now and then to help keep it hot enough to cook. Most of my cast is getting pretty old, but I am always getting new stuff. I season it all the same. Rub it down with lard. Heat it up some to open the pores. and use a lot of lard!

Hope this helps.

FL Bill

9. BigRedTruck

BigRedTruck Member

This is exactly how my wife does it. Nice post.

10. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

My wife has gotten amazing results cleaning old nasty cast iron in the self cleaning oven. I can not recommend it highly enough.

11. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Do NOT use olive oil Learned this in the hard way...

12. FL_Bill

I think what happens is with quality CI it may be fine. But from what I read the newer cheaper stuff does not do too well with this type of treatment. Honestly I do not know. I DO know I have never done it and have not needed to. My stuff looks and works great.

Maybe if Lodge or Camp Chef said to do it that way I would. However I do know it will stink up your house...wife hated when I did my initial seasoning in oven. And when ever I clean oven.

So in the end...we all do what we want and feel comfortable with. If anything negative would happen from self clean cycle I guess we would have heard about it by now....but I do recall someone saying they had fire in oven one time from this...

FL Bill

13. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

When my wife did hers, it looked like it was fresh from the casting mold.

14. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

I'm guessing it's as much in the technique as anything. I use olive oil almost exclusively (only because it's what I have convenient) and my CI is like black glass. I love olive oil. Maybe it's the difference in EVOO, refined or un-refined; I really don't know.

15. FL_Bill

I do agree with not using OO, I did it for years with same results as you, black glass. However over time the pans I would not use for a while would start to have a distinct flavor that was not good. I had to do a semi-deep cleaning and re-season. I think the OO was going rancid. So following the directions of Lodge I use lard/shorting or veg oil (I actually use peanut oil). http://shop.lodgemfg.com/use-and-care/seasoned-cast-iron-use-and-care.asp

FL Bill

16. Fleetwood Max

Fleetwood Max Member

We just used a light coating of Canola Oil..for the breaking in period.. then a very light spray of cooking spray before we get fired up..