Help with a heat strip

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by jetrail, Oct 28, 2019.

1. jetrail

jetrail Member

Hi, I have a 2000 Rockwood premier 2516g camper. It has always had the carrier airv Unit. My unit does not have a heat strip but I am thinking about adding one if it is possible. I have looked online for a compatible heat strip for my unit but have had no such luck and I was wondering if anyone might have done this with a carrier unit before. Any help or advice or links to a heat strip that will work with my unit is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Does the camper have a furnace?

jetrail and bheff like this.
  3. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Your AirV has been out of production for years now and parts are no longer being manufactured for it. A heat strip is just an 120 vac electric element so I suppose you could adapt one designed for another brand of A/C but IMO it's waste of time. You'd be far better off with a $30 portable ceramic electric heater. And yes FWIW I did own a Carrier AirV myself for 6 years.

kcsa75, nineoaks2004 and jetrail like this.
  4. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

For me, it was nice having one less thing taking up space, one less thing to plug in, and one less cord to trip over. Totally worth it at twice $30.

jetrail likes this.
  5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I agree with Grey Fox.. get a ceramic heater..

PopUpSteve likes this.
  6. jetrail

jetrail Member

Hi Steve I do have a furnace but I've noticed being in the back corner it keeps the one bed warm and the others colder, I was thinking of doing the heat strip distribute the heat in the camper being we have a baby on the way in May and our camping trips next year will probably not happen till late September to October

7. GreyFox

Two problems with a heat strip - 1) the A/C fan pushes air out of the vents at such a rate that it only feels lukewarm at best, and 2) hot air rises so the best location for any heat source is at floor level not ceiling level where the heat vent is pushing out air. A bad idea at best but hey, it's your camper you can do with it whatever you want. :)

jetrail likes this.
  8. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Get a small desktop fan and ait on the floor by the furnace and blow air towards opposite bunk.. works great and works with 2 teenagers and a dog with no issues of being tripped over.

jetrail likes this.
  9. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

I am with the pro heat strip crowd. Less cords and things to deal with.
    When I had my pup, I added it to the Coleman Mach unit. It was very effective. I used it at night to distribute warm air to the bunk ends. I used it in conjunction with the furnace which had a digital thermostat. We could definitely tell a difference compared to when dry camping and the furnace was the only source.
    I recently added a heat strip to my new hybrid’s dometic unit. It is different. It puts out very warm air and the fan speed is higher. I don’t like it, or maybe I just need to get use to it.....

jetrail likes this.
  10. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

I never liked the heat strips in the AC. Keep in mind that heat rises and that is already on the roof. Better to put the $ into a ceramic heater or maybe a new furnace.

jetrail and Snow like this.
  11. GreyFox

And noisy. :(

jetrail, Snow and PopUpSteve like this.
  12. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Our Coleman has the heat strip. Save your money! A space heater works better and a lot cheaper. I like the milkhouse style heaters, they have no annoying red glow, make little noise, and cheap. A small oscillating fan on low also works nicely for evening out the heat.

13. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I have had a few with heat strips but as stated they are next to useless, they will barely get the chill out. I use a cube heater and usually have to turn it down. I too am with the save your money crowd :)

neighbormike likes this.
  14. davido

davido Active Member

Portable electric heaters typically consume up to 1500 watts, and produce about 5100 BTUs.
    An RV furnace may produce 16000 or 19000 BTUs.
    Many heat strips consume 900 watts, and produce 3060 BTUs.

An RV furnace installed in a popup places the heat near the floor where convection can carry it upward as it spreads through the trailer. I am the first to admit that propagation toward the far-end bunk is typically not great. But it's ok. One end of the trailer gets hotter than the other, though.

A 1500 watt portable electric space heater places heat also near the floor where natural convection can carry it upward as it spreads through the cabin. This sort of heater doesn't produce anywhere near the thermal output of a furnace, but because you can choose where you place it, it can do a nice job of supplementing the furnace in cold weather, or just on its own (saving furnace propane) in mild weather.

A 900 watt heat strip places its heat at the rooftop, where convection is less able to carry the heat downward and through the cabin. So not only does it produce less heat, the heat it produces tends to stay near the ceiling, and propagation is poor.

Advantages of the heat strip over the portable heater: No risk of a blanket falling on top of it and causing it to overheat. No risk of getting knocked over. Not in the way, in the cramped quarters of a popup trailer. Always "set up" so long as you've plugged in your AC unit, and the trailer has shore power.

Suggestions for mitigating the disadvantages of a portable heater: Spend just a little more to get a model that has tip-over and overheating protection. ...really all of them on the market nowadays should have both of those features. Set it under the dinette table, but at the edge closest to the middle of the cabin. It's less likely to get kicked over there. Keep it in the storage compartment under one of the dinette seats.

I have the same model trailer you have, though a few years newer: 2015 Rockwood Premier 2516G. I have a rooftop air conditioner on it. The AC does great in the summertime, because cool air naturally wants to propagate downward as it spreads through the cabin, thanks to natural convection. But I've never gotten a heat strip because I don't need to warm my head. :) I carry a safe space heater onboard the trailer for times when I have shore power and cold weather to keep at bay.

15. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Lots of people say the heat strips don't work, but ours does. It doesn't feel like it at first, but went to bed one night with it on and woke up to a very hot camper and had to turn it off. It takes more time to heat the camper than a portable one, but ours does eventually get the job done.

Even so, in my case the decision to get one or just use a space heater would be based on price. I've had our a/c all the way apart and the heating unit is basically plug and play. Very easy to install on our Coleman so I would not rule it out over that issue.

True that it's loud, but we like loud and would be running the rooftop fan or a/c anyway just for the noise.

ETA: Our camper lacks a furnace. It was born and raised in Florida so I suppose the original owner decided they didn't need one.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  16. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

We have the heat strips. Not much to write home about. Lots of noise by the unit. To much air movement and it does not feel warm. But it does warm up the place.

The only time I apperice it is when we are setting up in the cold. As soon as I can I'm turning on the furance and the heat strip. Once I have time I'm set up the space heater and turning off the noisy heat strip.

I would not wast 30 dollars on them.

17. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

Not sure why people think heat strips don't work. You're limited to standard service amps, circuit maximum. They put out 1800 watts, same as anything else rated for 15 amps. Yeah, yeah, 20 amps, but that accounts for the blower and electronics. The strip takes no storage space, no extra setup time, and works just as well as any other electric junk. The space in a popup is small, and the blower is running. The limited volume is mixed with the fan. There's no "hot air rises" situation here. And damn, I have a huge popup; 90% of you have a smaller volume where the fan will mix more quickly.

People who say it doesn't work simply don't have them.

18. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

I have one and while it works, it isn't worth the cost of adding if you don't have it. A 1500 watt milk house heater will work just as well if not better for a fraction of the cost. The furnace on the other hand will out perform both of them combined and it works without shore power. People have their likes and dislikes. I've seen plenty of complaints the the furnace make too much noise, but the AC makes more noise when cooling or using the heat strip. At the end of the day everyone is going to use what works best for them.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  19. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

Does "the weekend after Canada Day" mean the weekend after the day, or after the weekend? I.e., 4-5 or 11-12?

20. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Mine worked a little better then boiling water on the stove for heat. A small ellecteic heater is way better, try it , you'll like it. As it says in the brochure, not ment as a heater but to take the chill oit of the air. It does that, but it is in no way shape or form a heater.