Help with box length vs. bed widths

romno

Mar 22, 2015
We currently own a 1995 Coleman Cedar. It's an 8 foot box. The pull-out bunks are each 4 feet wide, hence 4 feet plus 4 feet is 8 feet. We're looking to upgrade to a newer 10 foot box, and the numbers don't add up!

For example, the 2017 Rockwood 1940 ltd is listed as a 10 foot box. The bunks are 60 inches (5 feet) and 48 inches (4 feet), which adds up to 9 feet of bunks. Where did the extra foot go? Is there a 1 foot gap between the bunks when they are pushed in, or is the box really 9 feet in length rather than 10?

This isn't unique to Rockwood, the math on 10 foot boxes from Clipper, Viking, Jayco, etc. have the same issue.

What gives?

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
If I remember correctly my Jayco had a slight gap when in travel mode with the beds pushed in. It wasn't a foot gap though only four or so inches. The Jayco had a double on one end and a queen on the other for the 10 foot box. The box truly was 10 feet. Not sure about Rockwood.

BirdsNest

Jun 12, 2017
Utah
My StarCraft 13RT has about a foot gap between the bunks when they are slid in all the way. I use it to store small/soft items like pillows.

If you look inside while the roof is raised but the bunks are still inside the box, you can see where the extra space is located.

xZoomerZx

Nov 1, 2016
Box size and bunk size are not linked but the bunk width is limited on smaller pup sizes by the box length. By contrast there is nearly a 4 ft gap between the double king bunks in my Avalon.

bsandey

Jun 9, 2005
Red Wing, MN
There's nothing wrong with a gap between the bunks when folded up. We use to have a 12 ft camper. Image if there was no gap in that! that probably would have tipped the weight to about the same as a mid size TT!

MsMac

May 19, 2016
There's nothing wrong with a gap between the bunks when folded up. We use to have a 12 ft camper. Image if there was no gap in that! that probably would have tipped the weight to about the same as a mid size TT!

Ours is a 12 foot box with no gaps- base weight is a little under 1600 pounds.

As to the OP, as far as I would see it, a gap by design just means more storage space! :)

mcwick

Jan 24, 2017
We've got a Rockwood 1950 (which is the same size as the 1940, just different floorplan). I noticed this weekend that we had a good size gap of at least a foot between the beds. I was excited to discover that, because it will allow me to pack something taller in the camper. I suspect the gap is to make sure that both beds are supported well - our larger one rests on the dinette wall, and if they were both that big, I don't think the smaller one would have as much support.

Halford

Super Active Member
Sep 28, 2011
Santa Clarita, California
there is practically no gap in my 12' box and it didn't tip over the max weight. Now you all talking about adding something tall between the gap which may mean that the weight of the load will go over the max if not careful