Help with buying a canoe

Discussion in 'Canoeing / Kayaking, Boating, & S.C.U.B.A.' started by hvac1877, Jul 12, 2009.

1. hvac1877

hvac1877 Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va

It has been years since i been in a canoe and it was fun. The wife wants to do some canoeing and enjoy more stuff when we go camping. So i need some help from the vast knowledge from the site. I want to get a used one so I want one that is stable, can hold at 700 lbs and could hold my wife and I and maybe my granddaughter. What brands are good,size of canoe,whats they are made of. Thanks for the help. [KK]

2. mbopp

mbopp New Member

Since nobody else chimed in yet....
    Read the old posts for peoples opinions on canoes. My definition of a canoe begins with one free from internal bracing (no Colemans) but there's always a compromise on cost, utility, and how much you use it. Years back my first canoe was a $100 used 15' Coleman I eventually donated to a Scout camp.
    For kick-around use I like the Old Town Discovery series or Grumman aluminum canoes. I prefer a 16'-17' model as a compromise on weight, load capacity, and manuverability. A used fiberglass canoe wouldn't be bad either. I have two canoes, Royalex and Kevlar, and which one I take depends on where we're paddling. Both are big time overkill for casual camping use though. I bought the Kevlar one when DW & I would canoe-camp in the boonies for a few days at a time and carry between ponds & rivers. But I digress......
    Don't forget paddles and PFD's. And I prefer to carry the canoe on the TV so I'm not limited to putting in at just the campsite.

3. leslieg

leslieg New Member

We canoed with a very old, very stable and very heavy canoe (wood/fibreglass) for many years. Four years ago we went to kayaks and have enjoyed them immensely. Now that the dog (and us) are ageing it's easier to go back to a canoe. So here's my thoughts......

You should be able to get a new 16' fibreglass canoe for about $600 (or less at Costco). What you buy really depends on what your priorities are. If you want seats (with backs) and very stable, you will have a heavier boat. A 16' with comfortable seats, made of fibreglass will weigh around 80 pounds. A similar size boat with normal seats made of Kevlar will only weigh around 50 pounds but will cost you upwards of $1,500. Weight is important to me because my DH is disabled and can't always help get the canoe/kayak on the car and I'm only 5'2" [:(] Also if you plan on canoe trips with the occasional portage you will want a lighter craft.

We're renting the Kevlar boat this summer to see if we like it. You can buy the seats that attach to the canoe keeping the weight of the canoe itself down. The outfitter renting us the canoe sells the used ones at the end of the summer for about half price. I'd rather have a $1,500 canoe that I paid $700 for than a new, heavier canoe that I paid the same price for. We're all different of course.

I'm sure that whatever you buy you will have lots of fun with it!

4. Tebpac

Tebpac Member

I guess it depends on what type of canoeing you want to do. Lakes? Slow rivers? Mild whitewater up to class II? You wanted something stable which could be many. A lot of 16 ft canoes will carry 700lbs. You want to buy used so I would start at www.paddling.net. They have a classified section with lots of canoes for sale. And lots of canoeing info/help. That's where I bought my first. There are so many out there so I'll tell you what I'd suggest. Wenonah makes a lot of good stable boats. The Aurora, or Adirondak (16ft), Spirit II (17ft), Mad River Explorer, Mad River Horizon. Most of these come in Royalex but if weight is an issue, you may want to look into kevlar which is lighter. But more $$. You can get a brochure from Wenonah that has tons of good info on buying a canoe. Hope this helps.....

5. Luv2ridebikes

Luv2ridebikes New Member

Less weight = $$$ when it comes to canoes. I agree with the 16' target as good size for recreational use. THe link for paddling.net is a really good one for reference. We have an Old Town Scout - very nimble and great river canoe, but kind of tipsy for casual users. It's also heavy - close to 80 pounds. Old Town and other manufacturers often have two classes of plastic canoes. The heavier line (polylink3 in Old Town's case) is often 15 -20 pounds heavier for the same canoe than the lighter version and $300 - $500 less in price. Stick with canoes rated for stability and easy tracking unless you really want to challenge some rivers.

6. themanfromvan

themanfromvan Van, PA - Near The PA Wilds

I have a Mohawk Blazer 16, which is a fiberglass canoe. It's pretty heavy - probably 80 lbs. I paid $500 for it in 1998. It's been a good boat. Here's a photo of my full 'fleet' -

[​IMG]

7. mbopp

mbopp New Member

There are two basic ways to make a fiberglass canoe - chopper gun and cloth.
    The chopper gun uses short pieces of fiberglass that get a bit of resin mixed in before being shot out of the gun. It's how power boat hulls are made. The upside is that it's cheaper to make, the downsides are heavier weight and not being as strong as a cloth layup.
    Fiberglass or Kevlar cloth layup uses woven cloth with resin mixed in. They're more labor intensive but stronger and lighter than a chopper gun canoe. The best boats are vacuum-bagged to ensure good adhesion and draw off excess resin.
    If you can stand the weight, a chopper gun layup is fine for recreational use.

8. hvac1877

Thanks for all the info. We are going to York River State Park next weekend and taking a beginners course on a 2 person kayak and then a guided canoe trip. So i hope to know more of what we want after the trip. It going to be a day for just us to enjoy!!!! Will report back thanks again to all who posted.

9. mbopp

mbopp New Member

A two-person kayak? The true test of a relationship.

Guided trips can be fun. DW & I took one out of the National Seashore Salt Pond Visitors Center last year. And the year before we did a tandem sea kayak tour when we visited Acadia National Park.

10. hvac1877

Well we took the trip in the kayaks and canoes at York River State Park. I have to say i will not do a tandem kayak again. We had a good time but it was very hard to keep on the same tempo. We might try solo kayaking. But the wife really enjoyed the canoe trip. We had the same instructor for both trips and was great. We felt better in the canoe so we might be leaning toward it. We are a bit sore this morning but it has been a long time since i did anything like that. Going up a creek against the flow was hard with tide going out but going back down the creek was great!!!! Thanks for the help everyone.

11. Canoecamper

Canoecamper New Member

We have a Wenonah Adirondack (Tuff weave layup) and it's a very solid, stable boat, yet it's responsive. It's perfect for small lakes and our gravel-bottomed Ozark rivers. The downside is it weighs about 64 lbs.

Kevlar is awesome and lightweight (around 42 lbs) but much more fragile. We rent them when we go to Northern Minnesota since we have to portage. I know most outfitters (at least near the Boundary Waters) sell some of their rentals at the end of the season. I'm hoping there's a Souris River Q17 with my name on it this fall. [LOL]

I also agree that Paddling.net is a great resource! Happy paddling!

12. NatureGirl

NatureGirl New Member

DH and I are considering buying a NuCanoe. It's a canoe/kayak hybrid that's roomy and very stable. The 525 pound capacity is sufficient for both of us and our Lab/Chow. Does anyone here have one?

13. You-And-I

You-And-I Ozarks Überland Basecamp

14. JamesRL

JamesRL New Member

I have a "No name" canoe - built by a one man shop. He builds for many outfitters, which is a good sign. My type is a 16.5 foot Prospector - its a common shape and well suited for general canoeing. I do canoe camping on lakes, and some mild river stuff. My canoe is a lightweight fibreglass at under 60lbs, but it also has 3 ribs for strength. I paid $700 and am happy with my investment, kevlar being too $$ for me, and plastic being too soft.

James

15. hvac1877

I learned to canoe in Missouri on the Current River and Jacks Fork. Camped at Pulltite and canoe the entire river. Loved the place miss it very much.

16. You-And-I

You-And-I Ozarks Überland Basecamp

We float the Current river a lot, great river! Give us a shout if you get over this way, we are always ready to go camping & floating. [:D] [:D]

17. zjrog

zjrog Member

Friend of mine picked up an older Coleman canoe, but it had some issues. Scott's a whiz at these things. Removed an old patch, fixed the problem under it and caused by the patch. Skinned it and painted it, applied some sealer to the entire interior and made new seats from cheapo cutting boards. I think all told, he has less than $200 including the purchase of the canoe.

I know better than to convince my wife to do a tandem kayak, but she feels canoes are too tippy.

18. Martyflyguy

Martyflyguy New Member

hvac1877

I have a canoe sitting under a tarp if you want it i,e, free.

I am in the Springfield area.

19. hvac1877

Sound great i will send you my #

20. hvac1877

Thank you Again Marty for the Canoe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is great all ready looking to get some brackets made to get it onto the pup. The wife want to go out soon for some canoeing. Might take it to Pocahontas SP to enjoy the Canoe. Also thank you everyone that posted info on here.