Help with leak 2000 Keystone Camplight

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by NT Brown, May 19, 2020 at 3:02 PM.

1. NT Brown

NT Brown New Member

20200519_143639.jpg 20200519_143639.jpg Have a new to me Keystone Camplite Ultra. Was kept in beautiful shape f9r the most part. However, there is a leak coming inside under the front bunk when it is open. I see a channel behind the hinge that collects water under a rubber seal, shown on the left in attached images. How is this supposed to drain out? Im getting drip about 6 inches from one end, and a couple others at the other end. Attached image of hinge and channel. Previous owner caulked screws in the hinge, but I dont think that is the problem

Last edited: May 19, 2020 at 4:21 PM
  2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

A couple of things to try ..... The water shouldn't be there in the first place.
    If the hinge has vinyl flap on the inside on some camper it would get stuck in the weatherstrip if it isn't folded away before closing.
    Usually the front bunk will leak more than the rear. The slope of front of the camper lets water just waterfall over the bunk door. Plastic "J" channel for the the edge of vinyl siding can be added over the top bunk opening with double sided tape. Cut it longer than the opening and cut off the nailing strip holes. This will help direct the water elsewhere. One can also be added to the bunk door over the hinge area to do the same thing.
    The would also remove one screw at a time from the latch and reseal them well to prevent water entrance.

3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Just to add .......

Welcome.png

4. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

What type of front latches do it have?

5. bikendan

bikendan Active Member

2000 hybrid should have the old tech screw clamps.

6. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

If it has those, NT should replace them with the bar style..

7. NT Brown

NT Brown New Member

Thanks for the replies. A couple things: Im hunting for new latches. I did take the current screw type off, and used marine grade adhesive sealant in the screw holes and behind them before putting back on, the went around them with dicor.

The leaking I am trying to fix right now is with the bed open/set up. There is an approximate 3-4" vinyl flap, and under that is a double bulb type seal at the hinge and the channel collecting water. Raining the last two days so I am trying to fix while I can see whats happening. I also discovered, after making my original post, ANOTHER leak. This one appears to be coming in where the tent vinyl meets the metal frame at the top. I do have the new 2" rv weatherstripping seal for above that, as what is there is broken down, thin, and just not in good shape. But I not so.sure that will fix this leak, and this one os lower than that strip. :( I had already resealed the roof and all outside trim and windows, vents, ect with Dicor last week.

8. NT Brown

NT Brown New Member

Is the J channel for when bunk is closed, and left in place all the time? Right now I am trying to stop leaks with the bed open. Seems the flows down the front edges, and comes in that channel. And now discovered one that appears to be where the tent vinyl meets the frame on top of tent. There is a bulb seal directly above that, with about a half inch of space between it and the actual tent vinyl. I think it had been replaced at some point, though not certain. Shouldn't that bulb seal go al the way around completely to the bottom of the frame? It is currently about 2 to 3 inches shy on both sides of reaching the bottom sides, amd doesn't sit against the tent vinyl across the the top, though Im not sure.it is supposed to.

9. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Yes stick it on with mounting tape. Cheap to do and may help. The seal of some kind should be all the way around. Maybe just adding a couple of eyebrows of a j molding near the hinge area on the body will do the trick.

10. NT Brown

NT Brown New Member

This is what's in that channel by the inside hinge. The vinyl flap, and then the seal. The seal was kind if bungled in there, so I took it out to inspect it. Not.sure.if it needs replaced, nor how it reseats correctly. Is that what is supposed to prevent water coming in the channel? Because it is long enough to completely go side to side leaves about an inch on each end uncovered. Ive looked online until Im blue (or red lol) in the face trying to find a picture to reference how that sits in there. 20200520_123056.jpg 20200520_123104.jpg

11. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.