Help with Pics

Discussion in 'Hey PUP Staff, Let me tell you what I think!' started by neighbormike, Feb 19, 2019.

1. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

A couple members mentioned in another thread, they were having issues posting pics... I have been successfully uploading pics to this site for numerous years, but also have been unable to do so lately. I keep getting the "file too large" error message. Been using an iPhone the whole time... just wondering if I am missing something or if something has changed?? Any help/ suggestions is appreciated!

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Im with you, i think the sight may have changed formats, or my phone did. I never had problems before. Now after croping and limiting size i still can not post pictures.

3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

What I do is open up an app to resize my photos I can then resave and will be able to upload without any problems on here. I've had this issue on my new phone and my new iPad. My old phone I had no problem. I just assumed the photos are now more complicated with the new technology so therefore larger. Perhaps my thought process is wrong if you are having issues now and did not earlier.

4. Sjm9911

Im posting with the same phone, new, galaxy s 9 + on android. Sometimes the sights reset parameters.

5. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

I've also had the "File Too Large" warning once in a while. I just resize it and then I have no problems.

6. neighbormike

I guess maybe I just don't know how to resize a photo... they are all pics taken with my phone and they used to load without issue...

7. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I get the same message, I am using a desktop pooter at home. After re-sizing the photo a couple of times I still got the same (too large)message I finally gave up trying to send photos.

8. neighbormike

Glad (kind of) to hear I'm not the only one!

9. neighbormike

Any iPhone users (or anyone else) have a suggestion?

10. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

gave up trying to repost pics also

11. Sjm9911

Ok , i had to download an ap that will let you resize pictures. It works now , just a pita. When andriod updated the phone it took out this option. So now you need an ap.

12. neighbormike

That's incredibly irritating...

Sjm9911 likes this.
  13. Be-Ce

Be-Ce Member

What size do you resize to? Thx

14. JLE

JLE Member

I haven't got an APP that easily resizes my iphotos but I just resend them to myself by email and select MEDIUM size in the attachment option, then re-save when the email comes in, and use those to upload.

PointyCamper and neighbormike like this.
  15. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

I basically cannot upload photos anymore. Same phone same iPad. Sorry but I don’t have time to mess around for an hour trying to resize

neighbormike likes this.
  16. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Resizing can be a pain, but remember phones are now taking photos at 5mb plus. These are really massive files for internet viewing and take up a ton of server space for the website. And the photos don't "drop off" after a year or so. They remain on that server forever taking up space. The forum then has to pay for more and more server space to store these massive photos forever even though the photos don't need to be anywhere that big to be useful.

In addition, all these massive photo files make the website that much slower to load. When you add five or six huge files to a thread such as campsite photos, this can really use up your bandwidth.

Resizing down to "small" still makes the photo big enough for a forum posting but reduces the file down to under a mb. Less storage needed and faster loading.

17. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Like I said. Same phone, same iPad. I post pics with no issues on other forums

18. Sjm9911

Same happened to me, there is updates the fourm can do but that cost $$$$ i think. The phones with there up dates took out the auto redution features. I could post here then i couldn't with out resizing it. Same with other fourm. But then some of the others updated there fourm software to resize automatically .

19. Be-Ce

Be-Ce Member

Does anyone know the specific limit? @PopUpSteve Half my pictures are taken with a camera.

20. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

What are the other half take with? A Flintstones style bird with a hammer and chisel.
    680927551.jpg

I will check with my server manager. One problem for the website is that the image file sizes keep increasing as the cameras get better. The upload is suppose to automatically shrink them down but I guess something is broken.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019