help with pop up door?

Discussion in 'General Camper Setup / Take Down' started by Patti Patton, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Patti Patton

Patti Patton New Member

I am new to pop up camping and am old, no upper body strength, usually travel alone. I have a TERRIBLE time getting the door up when it's time to pack up and go home! I have an electric lift for the roof, hydraulic jack for the beds and can manage getting the poles in for the roofs over the bed, but I cannot get the dang door up! Any hints?

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Welcome from NM.
    What pup do you have? (Hint, if you add the make, model, and year of your camper, to your signature line, it will help the rest of us. Do that by hovering over your screen name at the upper right, go to "signature".)
    I solo camp quite a bit. Our 2010 Coleman Cobalt had the type of door that stored on the ceiling, and had a track with guide wires. I had to develop a routine that made it easier to stow the door. Keeping those tracks lubed with a dry lube, holding the door in the correct place (about mid-way) and a couple of other things all helped.

3. doggirl

doggirl Member

Kitphantom, I'm interested in the dry lube you mention. Any idea if that would be adequate/appropriate for the - what do you call them - the roof lift support bars?

4. kitphantom

Again, it would be helpful to know what pup you have, and the type of lifters. We never had one with an electric lift, but the lifting mechanism might be the same. Some use a lube with silicone - you have to shield the canvas so that it does not get on the tenting. I was not happy when we had ours repaired and the dealer - not our current one for the TT - did not shield the canvas and we had stains the rest of the time we owned it.
    Right now, we have a couple of spray lubes with Teflon in them. I just bought one with silicone, it's out in the TT, I think most are Liquid Wrench or similar brands.
    Spray dry lube with Teflon has worked well for most uses. I have used it for the bed slides, lifter arms on the pup, tongue jack (our have all been cranked), stabilizer threads. When I need liquid I use Triflow, which works great in locks, etc. I bought the one with silicone to use on the sewer hose connectors (at the suggestion of Valterra customer service - that's where I have difficulty coping on solos); it can be used as a dressing for the door gaskets on the truck when I clean them again.

5. doggirl

doggirl Member

Thanks, this is good info. We have electric lift and have yet to lube, otherwise we have a simple Forest River Flagstaff 176 LTD. Aside from the slide down/up door, beds and swinging galley there are few moving parts. lol
    I didn't mean to get into a topic change on Patti. I've generally left door operations to DH although I seem to be Ms. Fixit, so I'll be changing out the door prong thingie that broke once the spring thaw hits. We have noted that the big hinge that swings the door down occasionally presents strange issues to get flat in set up and fold up easily during take down, but I believe it mat be related to the degree the camper is level. Might that be a part of Patti's issue?

6. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

You could remove the door from the roof hinge. It might be easier for you to just place the door where it goes and then at take down just put it somewhere in the camper.

Patti Patton and kitphantom like this.
  7. kitphantom

Doors tend to work best if the camper is close to level. Our both did OK if we had to be slightly off side-to-side. If we had to be not quite level in that direction, we had the door side higher, since that put us sleeping head up. (Some people like to leave the camper just a tad off-level, so rain or a/c condensation run off.)
    Our first pup had the removable door, and it worked somewhat easier than the Cobalt one. The Palomino one was not the entire door, as the Cobalt was, but I actually did give some thought to removing the guide cables. The door handle sank into the memory foam on the main bunk, so it should have fit just fine it it wasn't attached to the ceiling. Once I lubed the guide rails, it worked much better, so I left it as it was.

8. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

When you say you can't get the door "up", do you mean set up, or "up" into the storage position?

Our Palomino is a bit fussy to get the door set up, but it doesn't require strength (it's better now that we've discovered the frame had some issues what we had welded). But getting it to storage is trivially easy and not heavy at all (it's only a half-door)

9. Patti Patton

Patti Patton New Member

I promise I added all this information, but I can't find it either! I have a 2002 Flagstaff Forest River pop up. There are NO tracks and NO wires. The door is on a hinge across the top and has to be pushed up to the ceiling while moving the hinge that holds it up about an inch, then held in place while swinging the bottom of the door up to the ceiling where it has to be held in place with one hand and attached to the ceiling with two thingys. I am not strong enough to do this. I'm looking for some kind of hack idea.

10. Patti Patton

Patti Patton New Member

I'm going to try removing it from the ceiling hinge altogether and just storing it on the bed. However, I am open to all suggestions! Thank you!

11. Crenfro

Crenfro New Member

I have a jay I 2016 1207UD I have trouble with mine too , it is awkward an I have to yet get the door up by myself. I've just purchased my camper so I have just tried to put up at the storage without leveling so maybe that is my problem.

12. Crenfro

Crenfro New Member

That would be 2016 Jayco 1207ud sorry auto correct

13. Patti Patton

Patti Patton New Member

I removed the hinge and stored the door on the bed while traveling. But what can I do about putting it up again? I have been using duct tape to seal the gap where the hinge was but don't like this. Can I buy a completely different door that doesn't have to be installed like this every time? I don't even know where to look for one. Hooking the door frame to the camper entrance wth a Velcro and duct tape is so flimsy. Yuk

14. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Try putting the door back where it belongs, on the hinge. What if you lower the roof a little before you try to lift the door.

15. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Well-Known Member

I know this sounds very simplistic, but using a 2 step ladder helps when lifting the door overhead and securing it to ceiling.

16. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Real silly thought, kinda riskey too.

• attach a an eye bolt to the roof (This is the risky part, because you don't want to make a hole IN the roof all the way thru)
    • Attach a an eye bolt to the door.
    • clip a pulley onto the eye bolt on the roof
    • clip one end of the rope on the pulley to the eye bolt to the door.
    • Pull on rope to lift door to position.
    • have a loop on the rope so that you can attach it to a pre measured point so that it will hold the door in the up position. You should be able to attach it to the correct travel mounting points at this point.
    upload_2018-2-9_9-11-18.png

Attached Files:

17. Patti Patton

Patti Patton New Member

18. Patti Patton

Patti Patton New Member

This sounds doable. I'm going to try it! I promise to be properly supervised, not by just letting my dog watch! Thanx

19. George Rose

George Rose Member

I was thinking of something more along the lines of a stabilizer like you would see on an SUV back hatch. It would assist with the lift.

20. Amber D

Amber D New Member

I have a 1985 Bonair BA1000 and when I purchased my above trailer the door had already been removed from the ceiling. I can never seem to get it attached properly, sometimes not at all. I am going to try some new ideas after reading the above posts but any help or information anyone can give me will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Amber