Help with power lift-2007 Fleetwood Avalon

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by snyder.cms, Apr 30, 2021.

1. snyder.cms

snyder.cms New Member

Hello everyone. Just pulled my pop up out of storage. I am trying to lift the top using the power lift and it does not lift. All I get is a clicking sound from the spot where the lift control plugs in.

It is not the motor clicking, it is just the little box that houses the connection where the lift control plugs in.

Just in case it was a dead battery, I tried the lift while it was plugged in to my truck, and tried again with the pop up plugged in to shore power (yes, bad idea). All I get is the clicking from the control box. No noise at the motor and no lift whatsoever.

Any ideas for troubleshooting?

Thank you!

2. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Bad relay inside the box? See if you have power to the relay. Check for burned contacts.

3. snyder.cms

snyder.cms New Member

Thanks! I have figured out some better terminology... just to make sure I am explaining this right.

It is the current limiter that clicks. When I plug in the lift remote and hit the up button, I just get click click click click, from the current limiter. If I hit the down button I get a single click.

I charged the battery overnight and still get the same result. There are no visual changes to wires or connections since it last worked.

Any advice would be appreciated!

4. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Will the roof raise manually? Make sure it is not bound up. Is the camper level? If it'll raise manually, it's time to open the box and do some voltage checks.

5. snyder.cms

snyder.cms New Member

I checked to be sure it’s level. It is.
    I attempted to manually crank it up, but I don’t have a crank that fits it. I tried turning the crank by holding it with pliers and no luck. I could not turn it that way. Not sure if it is stuck or if I just can’t get the leverage to turn it with pliers.
    I am going to search for the bit I need to connect that crank to my drill. Make sure it is not stuck before next steps.
    I am not sure why it would be stuck. It worked just fine when I put it away last fall.

Thanks!

6. kgibson

kgibson Member

When the current limiter isn't getting enough voltage it will click, click, click like you are talking.

I'd double check to make sure the quick disconnect is connected. If you have a voltmeter check at the disconnect and see what voltage you are getting.

Then check the voltage at the remote port.

If you are getting good voltage at the quick disconnect but not at the remote port you have a current limiter problem.

It might also be the remote. You can "jump" the leads in the remote holes with some needle nose pliers. This would tell if you have a remote problem.
    • Left connector - up
    • Center connector - common
    • Right connector - down
    The best thing I have done for the power lift, was follow all advice from here and Facebook and wired some 8guage wire direct from the current limiter to the battery (with an inline fuse/breaker).

I lose very very little voltage and the whole lift works much better.

7. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Well-Known Member

This.

8. Adam H

Adam H Active Member

I also had to run a 12ga from my battery directly to the limiter after I had the same issue as you. The stabilizer jack handle also is your manual lift handle but make sure the motor is disconnected first. Before you go any further, check your cables and make sure they are correctly positioned on all the pullies. Check your whiffle tree for any issues (mice?). If it ends up bein the limiter, it is not serviceable and probably has to be replaced. Below is a picture of one disassembled when I replaced the connector to the remote.

Limiter.jpg