Help with radio kill switch?

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by SPopupFamily, Jul 4, 2014.

1. SPopupFamily

SPopupFamily New Member

I installed a voltmeter with LED rocker switch tonight. It works great and was so easy to do. Since I have extra rocker switches I want to use one as a kill switch for the annoying bright radio light that keeps us up at night. I'm a little confused by the "constant" and "switch" positive lines. My rocker switch has 3 ports. Does anyone know how to wire this up so it works? [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Overload2020

Overload2020 New Member

Take a pic of the rocker switch but if it's a 3 pin then your center is the natural so your negative power feed from the battery source connects to it & then the negative leg for your radio should connect to one of or both the other pins if u want to toggle the radio on or off if that makes sense.

3. teejaywhy

teejaywhy Active Member

I assume those are the radio wires? Car radios have two power lines, one that is "switched" ON with the ignition and another that is intended to be powered all the time (constant) to maintain your station preset memory.

Depending on how you want the radio to operate, you can wire them separately or you can connect them together to switch ALL power off.

4. rwilliek

rwilliek New Member

I am assuming the rocker switch has a light on it - connect the constant wire (black in the photo) one terminal....should be one of the outside terminals. Connect the red and yellow wire from the radio to the other outside terminal. If you want the light to work while the rocker switch is turned on, run a ground wire (attach to the ground wire on the radio) to the center pin on the rocker switch.

Robbie - 8 year radio installer at Circuit City :)

5. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

Put an ohm meter on the switch and look for on off. If the rocker is three wire then there is probably an led on it. Nonetheless, the yellow radio wire is the one you use to put the kill switch in. That way you can shut off all power drain from it.

If the switch is a non led rocker, then the switch is off, on off. It should be marked or use the ohm meter.

Good luck

6. SPopupFamily

SPopupFamily New Member

Thanks all! I've tried several different configurations and it's just not working. I am doing something wrong but I have no time left to keep trying. Maybe after our trip! :)

7. patfraley

patfraley we're on a road to no where...

I would think you run the switched wire through the switch an the constant would bypass switch and connect to 12v wire (along with switched wire). Thing is, if you keep constant, you may always have some lights on the panel still glowing. You'll just have to try and see

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. SPopupFamily

SPopupFamily New Member

Yeah, we tried several different combinations and none seem to work. So for now we will just leave it. I'm happy we at least got the voltmeter installed correctly. When I get back from our big trip I'll give it another go.