Help with sales psychology

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by EmilyW, Feb 27, 2020.

How many campers did you look at before making your current purchase?

1. Less than 5

54.1%
  2. 5-10

27.0%
  3. 10-15

8.1%
  4. I lost count....

10.8%
  1. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

I had a hard time letting go of our old one..so i gave it to my niece and kept it in family...i dont think after buying new i could go back to the hassle of used ones...for me i would rather spend a little more..
    Prices for nice used ones are nuts anymore.
    Even new ones though can be tough to find in my area..most new dealers don't stock them

2. FARfetched

FARfetched Well-Known Member

If used pups sell so fast, why are all the manufacturers and dealers trying to avoid new ones?

Getting back on topic: as a seller, have a bill of sale already printed up and ready to fill in. Some states (like Georgia) require a bill of sale to get a plate for the first time. Also have all the stuff you're including with the camper, especially keys, manuals (if you still have 'em), and any accessories within easy reach. That should save you from follow-up calls.

3. firepit

New ones are scarce in my area...AC nelson sells new ones and some will order them.
    Most have none in stock around me.

4. shfd739

shfd739 Member

Because the cost of a new one rivals or exceeds the cost of a travel trailer. Given the choice of canvas or solid walls most people will chose the solid walls. With the proliferation of SUVs and trucks folks can easily tow a smaller travel trailer. Frankly new pups just dont sell.

5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I also think it doesn’t help that every RV dealer pushes the seller to buy a TT vrs a popup because they get more commission selling a TT. I think there is still a good market for people to buy a popup but our dealers refuse to sell them because they want the money they get from selling big. If they can sucker a buyer to buy that big 35’TT with a million bells and whistles and still claiming “sure your car can easily tow it” BS they can make a killing vrs a small $10k popup. They figure why waste precious space in the yard for any camper under $14 grand when they can sell monsters for 10x more. There is only one dealer here that sells popups and he still sells quite a few although as of late I fear he may stop selling because the cost of storing the popup really isn’t cost effective. With the severe increase of rent/mortgage all around here kind of makes it hard for an small RV dealer selling popups. Their gain Selling a popup really isn’t as high as with a larger TT. Considering the cost of land it takes, the cost of maintenance to keep it up to “new” standards, the cost of the staff their income from anything under $14k really isn’t worth it. I’m seeing the same trend in small TT as well. Manufacturers quit making popups because their clients, the RV dealers, don’t want them, not that the consumer doesn’t want it. Sure my RV dealer would order a popup for me, but I’m forced to pay up front for it and not check it out first. That’s not practical in my book especially with any camper that already barely passes industry standards.

6. FARfetched

FARfetched Well-Known Member

To me, that's short-sighted. Consider it a "gateway drug" — lots of people even here go from tents to pups to TTs over time. Get young families interested by setting 'em up with something they can tow with their minivan; that points to basic pups that they're more likely to outgrow. Once they're hooked, and need more space, show 'em the rolling condos.

With the proliferation of teardrops, Geo Pods, Rpods, and the like, I find that hard to swallow. Is it only niche dealers selling them? Seems like they're doing well. I didn't keep an exact count, but on a trip down I-75 to Largo FL a few weeks ago, I saw nearly as many of the tiny TTs as I did the huge ones. Only a handful of pups, but that humongous 14' Starcraft sure did look nice and new. (Aside… loved that silver-gray paint; if I repaint the Starflyer, I might go with a color like that.)

kcsa75 likes this.
  7. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

These small TTs aren't suitable for even small families, unless you're going to put the kids out in a tent next to it. We only have two boys but even an A-frame would be too small for us, much less a teardrop.

8. firepit

Pop up people are a rare breed...We don't wanna sleep on a floor in a tent but we aren't into glamping.
    Most people want all the comforts of home and spend the majority of there time in the camper and not outdoors.
    I see it a lot when i am out camping...Resale on campers is bad and pop ups are the worst.
    For me personally a new one was the way to go...I know i will have it for years to come.
    But i also know many use a pop up as a bridge between getting a travel trailer.
    Dealers know that all to well....If you may be in that crowd a used one may be a better option.
    Mine had to be shipped from 2 states away...No one had a new one in stock and dealers all said
    they don't do well with them.

9. CamperMike

CamperMike Active Member

There is still a need for a pop-up style camper, but they are becoming less common. I had 2 different popups over 7+ years and the reason I had them was I could tow it with a minivan. The smaller TT are just too small, and many have super low ceilings which makes them uncomfortable. Even for most smaller travel trailers you still really need a 1/2 ton truck or larger SUV due to the large frontal area(I know some people try it with less but... that doesn't mean it's a good idea). If I knew a family trying to decide between a small TT or popup... I'd recommend the popup almost every time. You'd need 20'+ in a trailer to match a 12' box popup for interior space. And smaller TT have almost as bad fuel economy hit as a larger one... that frontal area makes more of a difference then weight when rolling down the highway.

I moved on from the popup recently when I decided I was willing to move to a truck and take the fuel hit. I now have a significantly larger 23' TT w/slide. I am looking forward to easier setup, and a bit more comfort, but will miss the ease of towing the PUP and storing it in the garage.

FARfetched likes this.
  10. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

1) Here you are hard press to find a new pup for under $10k .. most of the time for a few $k more you can step right up to a small TT or HTT..
    2) Most 12ft box pups that have a slide have a GVWR higher then most small grocery getter SUVs can tow.. Yeah most people who are ilinformed and use the incorrect trailer weight.

11. firepit

I am liking these little KZ'S...At around $10K new i bet in a couple years down the road you get $6K ish 5e4e78e0654f080eec148ef7.jpg 5e4414a8dbc35647cd108fe3.jpg 5e4414a9ff276c612630add7.jpg

12. tfischer

13. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

that's my problem with a lot of the TT the smaller the camper it's even worse feeling. My parents have a 25' TT and there is only three windows and the two "bedroom" windows only pushout a couple inches to open and the big one only the bottom 6 inches slide to open. So no cross ventilation and hardly any air can circulate inside. One of the biggest reasons I love the popup. 360 degree view if open and air can circulate around freely. Can't get that in any other camper except for some hybrids.

kcsa75 likes this.
  14. tfischer

Heh who needs fresh air when you have air conditioning. </sarcasm>

Arlyn Aronson and firepit like this.
  15. firepit

Right on...Your only in them sleeping after 50 beers anyway.

neighbormike likes this.
  16. CamperMike

CamperMike Active Member

The (lack of) windows, or windows that open is something I became aware of when shopping TT. The cheap ones have few windows and some will not open. Ours has plenty of windows that all open, but will never be like a popup in the view or amount of airflow.

neighbormike likes this.
  17. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

Pop ups have more moving parts than a TT, complicating assembly, and have lower profit margins for companies.
    It is purely economics. What we consumers are willing to pay is what drives the industry. If we were willing to pay more for more innovative products, then we would see more of the space saving designs that exist in other countries. But since we have plenty of open space here, relatively cheap gas, and big tow vehicles, we spend our money on bigger TTs rather than innovative foldables that we see in other markets.

neighbormike and kcsa75 like this.
  18. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Hmmm, so you’re from Wisconsin.... [:D]

kcsa75 and davekro like this.
  19. scubacamper

scubacamper Well-Known Member

Okay, to address the OP, when we sold our old PUP I put the word around and a secretary at work was interested. I gave them a $ figure that was making me money and wouldn't break their budget...they bought it on the spot. As I explained if I have to advertise it the price would go up. When we bought our latest one we bought it from a dealer and played between two of them until one showed us a minimally used one that it us perfectly. It was a cash deal and for a used PUP the dealer liked it better than financing $8k. Our first one came off CL and nobody wanted to buy it because there wasn't a title. I checked into it and found here in FL this one didn't need a title and since I was willing to go to the trouble of checking on the title I paid $500 rather than the $1500 he initially wanted.

Best of luck

kcsa75 likes this.