Help with Shelby 5438 gearbox repair

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by FR4NK, Aug 24, 2021.

1. FR4NK

FR4NK New Member

Hey!

First of all, I’ve been searching and collecting information on this forum for the repair of a Shelby winch and I’ve seen some people here explaining how to fix it.

The brake gear is free spinning on the center shaft while the roof is being lifted.

Since I was not able to find a replacement winch, I’m taking it apart to fix the problem.

I can’t find a way to remove the center shaft with the 2 threaded gears on it. I know there’s a way [?:~{][::)]

Any input would be greatly appreciated because I’m trying to figure this out since a couple days… and want my pop up working again :(

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

Need a picture of the sides of the winch. That's were the shaft is being retained.

3. FR4NK

FR4NK New Member

Here it is, maybe trying to turn the shaft while blocking the tube ?

Attached Files:

4. WrkrBee

If you take the bolts out of the spacer rod, would it pull apart?

5. FR4NK

FR4NK New Member

Unfortunately, the shaft won’t move… it’s like if I had to unscrew the shaft from the gears

6. FR4NK

FR4NK New Member

Nevermind, I got the shaft out finally! Thanks for the help I’ll make an update later if it can help others trying to do this fix.

7. FR4NK

FR4NK New Member

After spending some time taking off and inspecting each part of the gearbox, I got to find what was the problem: stripped threads in the center of the main gear.

I cleaned each part and ordered a new gear from tent trailer rebuilder in Edmonton. The damaged gear could have been re-threaded as well.

To remove the damaged gear, I put the main shaft assembly in a vise and pushed the brake gear up with a screwdriver while turning the shaft counter-clockwise. Hope that helps. 88E3C8BD-036F-4542-BC39-09E0ABDAF922.jpeg 68AFE2E1-403D-419D-852C-355B034DB87D.jpeg 32E00BAA-9237-44C0-9020-F442F64BF934.jpeg

8. WrkrBee

Did you see what @davekro posted? Looks like your winch.

Attached Files:

FR4NK likes this.
  9. FR4NK

FR4NK New Member

Yes! It was very useful

WrkrBee likes this.
  10. FR4NK

FR4NK New Member

Finally rebuilt the gear box, installed the winch, adjusted all cables and everything worked fine until the crank shaft disengaged from the main shaft…

For some reason, the 2 gears went out of alignment.

Now the pup is stuck in the raised position since I can’t find a way to put the crank shaft gear into place.

Any suggestions on how to lower the roof without using the winch ?

Attached Files:

11. WrkrBee

Are there suppose to be spacers on either side of the small stamped gear (I hate stamped gears) to hold it in place?

12. FR4NK

FR4NK New Member

Yes, there is a spacer on each side of the gears (see picture). When cranking the roof up, the crank shaft went forward. Maybe the locking collar wasn’t tight enough and caused this.

ill try to put the gear into place so I can lower the roof and re-install the crank shaft…

Attached Files:

13. FR4NK

FR4NK New Member

Update: Got the drive shaft back in place with a hammer and wood block. Roof is finally down just before the storm began [XX(][LOL]

I will need to adjust the stop collars, that’s what caused this. I should be able to get the pup ready soon after a few weeks. Unfortunately the season is ending and the weather is getting cold in eastern canada :huh:

WrkrBee likes this.
  14. FR4NK

FR4NK New Member

Final update:

If you re-install the winch after a repair, make sure the stop collars are set at the right position and the allen set-screw tight enough.

I corrected this and the winch now works like a brand new one. Very easy to crank. I also put lithium grease on the gears and ratchet.