Help with Weighing at CAT Scale

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by raising4daughters, Jul 25, 2021.

1. raising4daughters

raising4daughters Active Member

Picked up our PUP from the dealer for minor maintenance and stopped at a CAT Scale on the way home. I was a bit unprepared, and decided to download the Weigh My Trailer app while in line. While doing that, several trucks pulled in line behind me.

In my rush, I panicked a bit and didn't get my 3 axles onto separate scales (evidently). I didn't want to hold up the guys who need the scales for their jobs. We 2580 on the steer axle, 5800 on the drive axle, and 380 on the trailer axle which tells me I probably had the trailer wheels mainly or entirely on the middle scale with my truck's rear axle.

This is a heavy, highwall PUP with 3800 lb. GVWR. The Colorado handles it very well, so I think I have a measurement error and am not that overloaded on my rear axle.

After I left, I recalled some saying that with PUPs the CAT weighing process is a 2-step process, first the truck without the trailer on a scale and then second with the truck pulled forward and just the trailer (trailer's axle) on a scale.

Can someone guide me?

2. rabird

rabird Howdy!

go back and park on the 3 pads correctly. its only 2 step to get tongue weight which a good bathroom scale can do if low enough.

Your total is 8760, that should be less than the GCVWR for the Colorado (owner's manual)
    Can not tell if your vehicle's rear axle is overloaded or not from the way you weighed.
    Door pillar placard should show axle limits.

3. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

lots of long posts on the web that are really good to read on this subject, but its really quite simple. The big thing IMO is that we only use two weighing platforms because we are not as long as a big rig. I just weighed Jeep in steer axle and Aline wheels in drive axle and got the numbers. I weighed my tongue at home using a digital bathroom scale.

Our big hiccup was approaching the scales from the correct direction!

If you can do a little math you only need one weighing.

Now lets see what other Puppers have to say.

4. raising4daughters

raising4daughters Active Member

Yes, thanks. CGWR is 12,000 for Colorado. I knew I was OK there. Biggest concern was whether our gear was taking us over trailer's limit. Second, but real, concern was if TV rear axle was over.

5. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Wild A guess, 5800 + 380 = 6180, total rear axle and trailer
    6180 - 3300 (trailer) = 2880 for rear axle!

6. jeepster04

jeepster04 Active Member

Some people like to know the true tongue weight of their camper, so they will unhook the camper on the scales then weigh just the camper on the scales.

You can then hook up the camper and weigh it again to see how the tongue weight is distributed on your tow vehicle. Things are a bit different when you have a weight distribution setup since it puts some weight on the trailer axles and some on the tow vehicle, so you cant get a true tongue weight by just looking at the tow vehicle axle weights before and after.

7. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

You should be able to fit on all 3 platforms. Even my little 8’ pup behind the minivan had a few feet clearance onto the trailer platform. Please don’t unhitch on the scale. That is a sure fire way to make the truckers mad. Even if there isn’t anyone behind you when you start to unhitch one may pull up at any time. The two weighs should be hitched and then unhitch the trailer in a safe parking spot and go back to weigh just the TV. Then some simple math with give you tongue weight. With a WDH a third weigh would be needed, hitched without the bars engaged.