Here comes Claudette

screwballl

Stimulus Package
Aug 7, 2009
FL
The first storm of reasonable size and strength is heading right for me, Tropical Storm Claudette...
We usually don't worry around here until we see it hits a stronger Cat2 or higher and it is landing within 100 miles of here, or 200 miles for a large sized storm.

samtgrizz

Super Active Member
Jun 3, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
The Atlantic has been very mild this year, but Anna, Bill and Claudette are reminders that if we live in Hurricane country we need to be prepared. I work in the area of Disaster Relief and am always amazed at how many people are unprepared.

Many decide to ride out a hurricane without proper equipment or supplies and then wonder where the rescue people are or where the water and food are following the storm. They expect first responders to have to risk their lives just because they thought it would be fun to ride out a storm.

Hopefully Claudette will be mild and cause little damage. But she is a good reminder why we need to be prepared to keep our families safe.

screwballl

Stimulus Package
Aug 7, 2009
FL
samtgrizz said:
The Atlantic has been very mild this year, but Anna, Bill and Claudette are reminders that if we live in Hurricane country we need to be prepared. I work in the area of Disaster Relief and am always amazed at how many people are unprepared.

Many decide to ride out a hurricane without proper equipment or supplies and then wonder where the rescue people are or where the water and food are following the storm. They expect first responders to have to risk their lives just because they thought it would be fun to ride out a storm.

Hopefully Claudette will be mild and cause little damage. But she is a good reminder why we need to be prepared to keep our families safe.

agreed.... I have been there through Ivan, Dennis and a few other smaller storms (and one more bigger one I cannot think of the name right now), the wife was here for Opal... We live close enough that a lot of the infrastructure (power, water, cable) is reinforced and only needs minor repairs after a storm (much of the area was up and running almost fully within a few days after Ivan and Dennis hit). Our house is also nowhere near a flooding zone so no worries there. We have pretty much decided to leave only if there is a low Cat3 or higher heading straight for us (or a good chance it will).

Even then I just hook up the pup, drive to my brother in laws an hour away (during normal non-evacuation traffic) and after the storm clears, sleep in the camper for a few nights until the main roads are clear for us to get back home.