Here it is

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by clif1025, Apr 14, 2013.

1. clif1025

clif1025 New Member

Well, it's been 2 or 3 weeks since we sold the popup and picked this up. But I am just now getting around to posting about it. It's a 2001 23' Travel-Lite Bantam HTT. It needs a little work, but I think the family will get more enjoyment out of this. And a little less griping from me on Sunday morning when I was packing everything back into the p'up.

[​IMG]

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Congrats ...... way too big for me ..... enjoy have fun.

3. froggie

froggie New Member

Can you pull it with your tv? My DH discouraged me from getting something heavy for my half-ton truck. He says it will put a great deal of stress on your transmission. This was a really big factor in our getting the pop-up.

4. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

Congrats from Korea!

5. Detroit_Iron

Detroit_Iron Member

I'm wondering this myself, after crunching the numbers I felt my centennial pup was as much as I wanted to go with my hemi 1/2 ton. I know I could handle more but if I was going to something taller than the truck I would want more than a 1/2 ton......

6. Detroit_Iron

Detroit_Iron Member

If that's the v8 Kia then I was rather surprised by the specs. 7500lb towing and looks like it weighs around 4100lbs with a gross around 6k ..... Color me surprised.....

7. Ted S.

Ted S. Member

That's a heck of a lot of trailer for a small SUV, just my impression however, I don't know the numbers. A real beauty though, congrats.

8. clif1025

clif1025 New Member

It does look like a regular SUV in the pic, but it is a V6 Kia Borego. It has the built in tow package, can pull 5k. It is built on a truck frame, and according to the DW it feels like it too. The camper comes in right at 3200 or so. I know I am taking it right to the limit, but it is pretty flat here in Florida, and I won't be pulling it around town too much. I figure once or twice a month shouldn't hurt it. And I do have the 100,000 mile bumper to bumper coverage, not just the drivetrain. I installed the electric brake controller the other day. It was already prewired, so all I had to do was go to eTrailer(shameless sponsor plug), put in my vehicle, and get what I needed. That along with the WD hitch, and sway bar, and I don't even know it's back there.

9. Ted S.

Ted S. Member

Well enjoy, looks like a nice unit.

10. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Is that 3,200 for the trailer dry weight or gross? If it's dry you have to add batteries, propane, awning and everything else that is considered an option on the trailer. The weight of all those things goes against your cargo capacity. Then, of course, there is your actual cargo. Also, what is the tongue weight and does the TV have a tongue weight limit?

11. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Depends on what your numbers are... I know of 1/2 tons that can only tow 4000lbs max... My 1/2 ton can max out at 8800lbs .... Right now fully loaded we are probably at about 5500lbs... TT weights in at about just over 4500lbs plus almost 2000lbs cargo .... I have to get the ting loaded and make a trip to the scale to see what the real numbers are... I have found some small light weight 5'ers I could even tow if I wanted too... be right up close to my limits but my truck could do it..

12. Bjess

Bjess Quiet Time

Snow, 8800 for a 5.7 HEMI Ram? I know I read 10,350 on mine owners manual.

13. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Yep mine is 8800lbs due to 3.55 gears ... my dad has a 2008 Ram which is 10,500lbs due to having 3.92 rear end and has HD suspension... Other then mine being newer (2012), and not having the 3.92's and HD suspension they are the same truck...

14. Detroit_Iron

Detroit_Iron Member

Not to hijack this thread but... My 08 has the 5.7 w3.92 and I have leaf springs in the rear. All the 4th gen 09-13 ram 1500 I've seen all had coil over springs in the rear...

15. flash82

flash82 Member

Have the same vehicle. Still towing a pop up with it. Let me know how the Borrego does?? Through other forums I've only heard good things about it towing a TT. One guy was towing a 26 foot, about 3650 dry Visa all over the place. Never had a problem.

16. clif1025

clif1025 New Member

Well, we traveled about 50 miles each way with no issues. Except I forgot to hook up the power when we were leaving the park, makes a big difference with no trailer brakes. But that doesn't have anything to do with the Kia. It pulled fine, and didn't seem to run any hotter. We are looking forward to next months trip.

17. Jayko

Jayko Jayco 141J aka Big Bertha

Nice, a bit big for the third stall in my garage.

18. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

The Kia will be fine. They are well made. Just accelerate carefully. That's what really kills the tranny according to our Hyundai (Kia) service center.
    Have fun!