Here we go, 1996 Jayco 1207 Roof rebuild

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by jab2181, Jul 9, 2012.

1. jab2181

jab2181 Member

Primer second coat on , going to get the first coat of gloss on tonight. Coming along good, hope I can get camper home before it starts raining tomorrow so I can get the roof back on!

2. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

If your primer coat is smooth, you shouldn't have too much trouble getting the paint coat smooth as well. If the primer is full of bumps and hairs, dust and debris, give it a quick sand with some 400 grit sandpaper before you paint. Touch up any areas that show through after sanding. You'll be amazed at the difference.

3. jab2181

jab2181 Member

Did not think of that, thanks Dubbya. Will have to stop at the hardware store after dinner!

4. Dubbya

Oh, and pick up a tack cloth as well. If you're going to sand it, you'll want to wipe off any dust before you paint.

Now, gitterdun, willya? [LOL]

5. jab2181

jab2181 Member

Lol I know everyone is probably tired of me updating this thread! But trust me I want it done! Hahaha [LOL]

6. Dubbya

Been there myself and I know it's always nice to have some encouragement!

7. jeanmariemc

jeanmariemc New Member

I'm watching and reading with great interest!

8. jab2181

jab2181 Member

My little helper yesterday
    [​IMG]

2 coats on starting to shine [:D]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This girl loves campers as much as I do. This is what happens when daddy and youngest goes to get some parts. [A]
    [​IMG]

9. jab2181

jab2181 Member

Got the bottom half of the pup home today, set the roof on top of 4 tote boxes so I can work on hooking everything back over the next couple of days. Hopefully I can get to get the rest of my parts in the next couple of weeks. So while I am waiting I am going to start working on cleaning the canvas and the getting the top prepped for the new seal and the new butyl tape on all the old seals!

Before and after
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. zendecat

zendecat Member

Nice work jab2181.
    We used clear gloss poly on our Home Depot luan. My DW, when she was very young, lived for a couple years in an old trailer while her father built a house. She likes that 1960's look [LOL]

[​IMG]

11. jab2181

jab2181 Member

Thanks Zendecat , I was originally going to go that rout yours looks awesome. I sanded and painted the brackets that attach the roof to the lift. I went away from carriage bolts and went with 1/4" x 2.5 inch bolts with nylon lock nuts and leak stop rubber / metal washers. It seams odd it being so even now lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. JBN

JBN New Member

Jab, youve done a fine job on that it appears. I too have a 99 jayco 1207 I believe. (numbers rubbed off).
    I wil be removing the top tomorrow to attack it. I intend to completely remove the skin and reframe from scratch with new perimeter and all, insulate between members then apply 1/8 inch panel on top and 1/4 inch on the interior. Then place the orig. skin back on. I also plan on strenghthening the a/c area with framing as well.
    Hope to have it done by this weekend, well see. I ll post some pics later. I have already started a serious of pics, just havn t put on the computer yet.

I hope you all enjoy yours, JB

13. jab2181

jab2181 Member

Well, been pretty much at a stand still over the last month or two due to finances. Been spending a lot of time at work and working extra, so in the mean time I have been prepping the roof for the new center seal and getting it scrubbed clean to be able to continue on. Let me tell you the extra strength Mean Green cleaner from Dollar General works wonders for cleaning off the years and years of grime. I pretty much have the top done but hope to get to the dealership next week to order my roof supports so I can get the top coated and get the a/c unit on so I can continue on with journey. I found a product that seems to be the best I have found to coat my roof. http://monstaliner.com/, I called them and said it has excellent flexibility so the bumps and flexing going down the road will not affect it. The other thing I like is that it has a 5 year UV protection warning and will not yellow. I am going to wait to do this until the seal is on and the roof supports are installed though so it will set up where it will stay. Hope everyone is doing good and any impute it appreciated .
    [​IMG]
    The area where the ac is was green, the Mean Green made it white again!

14. jayco1997

jayco1997 New Member

My husband and I just finished doing the exact same thing on our 1997 Jayco 1208 but we did things a little different. We replaced all the wood due to rot, added extra support beams and reused the roof aluminum. After everything was put back together we sealed the roof with white rubber roof coating that got painted on. I decided that it looked so good I ended up using a heat gun to remove the pin stripping and we rubber coated the entire pup. I just have to order new decals and put them back on. We also replaced the wood on the front and back of the trailer behind the plastic cover.
    You don't know how many times my hubby said he was going to write to Jayco and let them know how poor the quality of work is, I am suprised the pup is still on the road and didnt fall apart shortly after it was put in service, LOL

15. jayco1997

jayco1997 New Member

[​IMG]

16. jayco1997

jayco1997 New Member

[​IMG]

17. Dubbya

As a matter of fact, most of us have a pretty good idea of how many times he might have said that! It really is amazing that these things don't just disintegrate when you hit a bump on the road. [LOL]

That's what you get when your goal is to build cheaply and inexpensively, doing everything you can to keep the weight down.

18. if6was9

if6was9 New Member

Thanks jab for starting this thread and posting pics. My '94 1207 is in need of roof repair too. Thankfully mine isn't as bad as yours was. I'll be replacing the side and end board on mine. I'm hoping I don't find any rot in the top, but if I do, I know what I'm in for.

19. WadeT

WadeT New Member

Hey Jab.. I noticed your canvas was stained up really bad... Were you able to get it cleaned? If so what did you use?

Wade

20. jab2181

jab2181 Member

Wade, I have not tackled the canvas yet. I hope to be able to just order new in January so I can start the camping season off rite. I have heard of a product called great stuff I think from dollar general that is supposed to work very well. If I find the name if it I will let you know!