Hersey park visit recomend a campground!

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by Sjm9911, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Title says it all, we are planned to go to hersey this summer and want a decent campground. Keep im mind i have an 8 yo , so a pool is prefered. I want to be close to the parks and camping resorts are a ok. I was looking at the hersey campground, but the reviews make it look real crowded and no where to park your tv. If anyone has recomdations, please post them for me! Thanks!!!!!

2. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

The Hershey Park Camping Resort is a decent campground. I believe it used to be called Hershey Meadows Camping Resort. We stayed there back in 2008 in one of the sites between 130-124. Our friends go there every Thanksgiving and stay in the front section (Carousel Circle). Keep in mind summertime at Hershey is crowded. It is close to the park, but be warned that there is a freight train that runs very close by and can be heard!!!! There are other campgrounds in the area, but this one is the closet to the park.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Well-Known Member

We have camped at the Hershey Park Camping Resort (when it was Hershey Highmeadows campground). We love it there. There are activities for the kids (a playground, 2 swimming pools, volleyball etc.) the bathrooms are clean but can be busy in the morning, which is why I would shower in the evening. The last time we were there they had a movie night which was fun for the kids. Yes, there is a train that runs behind one section of the campgrounds, which we avoided, since I am a light sleeper. Each time we stayed we camped in the yellow sites along the Swatara Creek. I like a site near the bath house since I tend to wake up in the middle of the night and have to go. When you drive in the first thing you see is the section of big rig sites. Once you get farther in the sites are more camping like. There is room for your tv at your site (we had a Durango which we parked at our site) and there is also a picnic table and fire ring. The camp store is not bad and you can get your park tickets at the campgrounds at a discount. There is also a shuttle to and from the park that runs about every 30 minutes. Another perk is you can get into the park early every morning and when you buy your park tickets the night before you can enter the park 3.5 hours before closing. I will admit that if I had read the reviews before staying at this campground I wouldn't have booked it. However this campground is not really for folks who are looking for a more traditional camping experience. It worked well for us because we camp mostly to save money on our accommodations when we visit places like Hershey Park. Because of where it is located the price is higher than say a state campground but still much cheaper than if you went and had to stay in a hotel room. Good luck with your search and let us know where you end up staying. Have fun!!

Redbird234 and Sjm9911 like this.
  4. Sjm9911

I definitely like the idea of the suttle and early hours. And i do both , camping and destination hotel room. I might try it. Ill wait and see if anyone posts about other sites. With the new to me TT the bathroom situation is ok. I did notice not a lot of bath houses on the map, as well as the train tracks! There is even a disclamer that the train runs 24 /7 on the booking page , lol. Thanks for the replies so far!

5. Sjm9911

Ok i booked the hersey camping resort. I did not care for there website on my phone. I got a email with my reservation and booking number but no campsite number. I did pick one when booking. Tbh, the whole hersey park website is a bit of a mess to navigate. Hopefully the park and campground will be better! I hope to remember to post a follow up after july when im there.

6. fourhallatts

When the campground was Hershey Highmeadow Campground you could only make reservations by calling the campground. You might want to give them a jingle. Especially since you were able to pick a site but did not get the site number confirmed in your email. BTW (now I'm just being nosy) what site did you choose? I'm partial to the sites near the creek.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  7. Sjm9911

Tbh, im not exactly sure. I did go toward the creak side , but with the TT i needed full hook ups. So c. circle in the middle 295? I chose the biggist sight they had avalable (since they were all the same price) that had partial shade and was close to the pool. We booked for 6 nights. My TT isnt huge, atually when set up is half a foot shorter then my old pop up. But i like room and bring lots of stuff. Screen room, table and chairs, table for cooking, side table for 2 burner eaither ellectric or gas stove. Plus the reviews of cramped sites made me want more room. Yes i will give them a call as i dont want a diffent site. Thats why i picked the best one for me. I definitely dont want closer to the train.

silvermickey2002 likes this.
  8. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  9. fourhallatts

The sites in the Carousel Circle are where most of the really big rigs (bus type rv's) park. It is a lot like a big parking lot. Which is what I think puts a lot of people off about this particular campground. The rest of the campground is really more campground like with trees and grass. We not only set up our camp kitchen but also our screen house on our site (I think we had 130 on one visit and 129 on another). I don't think we brought chairs since we usually spent most of our time at the park. Sites 132-124 near the creek are nice because there is extra room between the "site" and the edge of the creek. Have fun!!

Sjm9911 likes this.
  10. Sjm9911

Yea , i wanted to fit, lol. And have full hook ups plus not a lot of sites left. My TT end to end with the back bed slide out is about 30 feet the same as my old pup. I can squeeze it in on a lot of spots but i went for the i can fit spot. Were mostly going to do the park and use it as a mobile hotel room. By the time i get done running around, ill be exhausted! Lucky for me we have other camping spots reserved for the year. One of the things i like, go with the flow! Camp or glamp or sometimes just use it to sleep. All good. I will check out the campground when i get there and see where i can fit!

neighbormike likes this.