Hershey park camping resort

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by Sjm9911, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Ok , so we went to hersey park after it opened. We stayed at Hershey park camping resort. I will start off by saying this place is nothing like the fort. Closest sites I ever camped on. Good thing I only had a neibour for one night. The workers at the campground were nice and accommodating, but covaid made a lot of the stuff worse. Pool was ok and not crowded. Bathrooms clean and decent. Campground wasn't particularly manicured. This could be because of then just opening the parks. But the campgeound was open before that, weeds and trash were in my fire ring. Not that i would use it because it was right against the cars. Lol.
    Now the park, they took temperatures and asked questions. It wasnt busy or crowded but everything was haphazardly done. Rides were closed, lack of people lead to lack of staff. The staff they did have were new and really unhelpful but pleasent. As an example, when getting a drink refill in there cup at a reduced rate because i bought the cup they day before, the girl of 17 or so asked me why the price was set like that, and i had to explane the hersey policy to her. In the end she gave up and gave me the drink for free, because she wasnt trained on that. No maps, and there ride ap didnt work. So we could barly find our way around to get to a ride that said was open, and we got there and it wasnt. Water slides were closed due to covid. Even though it is destoyed by the chlorine. Some rides were vigorously disinfected, and others had used masks in them from the day before. Everyone wore masks, well at the start of the day. Once tempatures went into the 90s and the heat and walking got to us, they were moatly around everyones neck. So. To sum up camping resort( it was far from that) 3 of 5 stars. Park itself 4 of 5 stars. We did get to ride the bigger rides with minimun wait times, if they were open! The park was immaculately clean. Staff was new, like still being trained new. And the covaid policies were i consistent, if not irratating. They had blocked off the wave pool so you had to walk 2x as far to enter into a turnstile. The same could have been achived by placing the turnstiles at the entrance, but what do i know about about this ,lol.

Orchid and neighbormike like this.
  2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Sounds like next trip might be somewhere else, however it sounds like the workers were at least trying and with all the new regs. due to covid 19 it cannot be easy on them. Our Fl. parks have signs all over the place concerning the use of the bathhouse and toilets they also state that if you have a shower and toilet in your unit to please use them (which I usually do anyway) and maintain distance, also is anyone is inside to please wait until they leave, and also to wait your turn.
    Good Luck and happy Camping and stay safe

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
    neighbormike and Sjm9911 like this.
  3. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Been there as a kid. But that was many moons ago!

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Was it the one by the train tracks? They really pack the in to that campground. When there's an event at Hershey, that place looks like an RV show. Best to use one that may now be as convenient to Hershey. The area is beautiful so the drive isn't that bad.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Yes its right on the tracks. Lol.

6. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

We went camping in June at a FL state park, for a week right after everything opened back up. We had existing reservations, just got lucky on the timing.

This is what I was expecting to see, but didn't. The website asked people with facilities to please use their own, but not a single sign at the campground itself. The bathroom was always full of people, nobody taking turns and no signs directing anyone to do so. Most people in the loop were in TTs, so I have no idea why people were not using their own bathrooms. We were. But our site was next to the bathhouse and the traffic in and out of there never slowed down.

They were cleaning the restrooms, and railings on the walkways to it, three times a day. The washer and dryer had "out of service" signs on the, but people were using them anyway.

Just curious which parks you have been to that had signs. It would be nice to go somewhere that people took turns in the public restrooms.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  7. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Oregon Inlet NC OBX had signs Memorial Day weekend and people were really good about it. Stayed at Hawe Creek on Lake Thurmond last month and had much the same experience. May 9th we stayed at Elijah Clark on Lake Thurmond, but didn't use any facilities. Sorry I can't help with anything closer to you as we've been staying closer to home this year. Oh yeah can't forget Camp Backyard! Nicest cleanest bathhouse ever.:grin:[LOL]

Orchid likes this.
  8. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

[LOL][LOL] Thanks! Too far for me right now. @nineoaks2004 only lives about 30 miles from me, so was hoping he knew of some good places. We love our state parks!

The one we went to in June is our favorite, Fort Clinch, but nobody was behaving and it was uncharacteristically full. It's always 100% reserved, but rarely more than half full during the week on the river loop. This virus has kind of messed up camping a bit, as people are actually showing up. :laugh:

Sjm9911 likes this.