Hi! From Colorado Mom and kids, solo pup camping this summer

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by reswanso, May 26, 2015.

1. reswanso

reswanso New Member

Hi!

I am about to embark on a great Summer trip with my kids (7 and 9), I hope. I bought my first PUP, a 1987 Starcraft Nova, in March and my Dad picked it up and is holding it for me in CA. The kids and I will head over to get it when school gets out and then we will work our way back to CO. DH has to work. I've done tent camping but am somewhat nervous about PUP camping. I'm sure I'll figure it out. We will be camping a few nights at South Carlsbad State Campground and then will visit the Grand Canyon (boondocking, I think), work our way back through Utah and across CO. I haven't picked an exact route yet. The whole trip will take around 13 days.

If all goes well, we'll take the PUP to Yellowstone and possibly Glacier in early August. That trip will include my Mom also.

Wish me luck!

And, thanks for all the help so far. I'm really hoping the BAL leveler will help me level the trailer alone, and I know my mom will appreciate the Thetford Curve in the middle of the night. The Prodigy brake controller was easy to install and a good price from etrailer.com. I'm still debating a generator but am choking a little on the price of the Honda eu2000i. The fridge runs on propane and the water heater doesn't work. We can use lanterns if needed so I don't think we have a lot of power needs, yet. As we adjust to being off the ground, I'm sure that will change.

[TV] 2004 Mazda MPV
    [PU] 1987 Starcraft Nova

2. froggie

froggie New Member

Congratulations, from another woman and kids camper. Our DH's don't travel with us, but we manage just fine. Have a blast.

3. Camping Cowgirl

Camping Cowgirl New Member

Congratulations! Sounds like a fantastic trip! I set up and take down since the camper is my baby and I know all the little quirks. I purchased and used the BAL leveler this year, and it's beyond simple and faster, you'll love it! Enjoy and have a fun trip and safe travels [CP]

4. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

Greetings from the People's Republic of Boulder! Sounds like a great adventure.

Recommend you practice putting up the PUP, and taking it down a few times before you hit the road. Take note of the "essentials for new PUP owners" entries on this forum.

Very strongly recommend you try to make reservations in CGs at your destinations. I say "try to make" because all the reservable sites at places like Grand Canyon may already be taken. Most National Parks have some sites that are first come-first served, but in my experience these are taken up by mid-morning. Go to www.recreation.gov for help, and the websites for specific locations. You may need to stay at secondary locations near your objectives. Recreation.gov has a nice feature that identifies nearby locations. The hunting for FC-FS sites is usually better at mid-week than on weekends.

Bon Voyage!

5. capy235co

capy235co Member

Depending on your route and time schedule take a look at the quad state rally at Mesa Verde in the Rally section! Enjoy your new pup.

6. CREEPPINGCHARLIE

CREEPPINGCHARLIE CAMPING RECHARGES THE HUMAN MIND

I would check the age of the tires and have the wheel bearings repacked prior to leaving on your trip back. Good luck with the NTU pop up and yes it's great to be up off the ground. [8D] [PU] [PUT]

7. MickeySp

MickeySp Member

Welcome to the Portal! We're doing the trip to Yellowstone in July - should be fun!

8. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

You may want to map the route and look into making reservations w KOA.
    That way you will have a place to stay for each leg, and you will be in a camground
    that may be able to assist with anything you may discover on the NTU PUP and or
    questions. They also generally have WiFi so you can get on the portal for on the
    road questions (usually members are on 24/7).

Boondocking won't be much different than tent camping, and as CreepingCharlie mentioned you may want to have your Dad check out the tires, wheel bearings and lighting ahead of time, so you don't [SIZE=small]waste your trip taking care of those safety items.[/SIZE]

Also look into the Date code on the Propane tank so you don't have any issues w a out of date tank on refills. You can also check out HF 900 Watt generator :

[​IMG]

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=generator

[SIZE=small] which are relatively quiet and reasonably prices. This you can purchase in CA.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=small]Yes, the BAL does make leveling easier.[/SIZE]

It is an ambitious trip for a maiden voyage.

9. wunderfog

wunderfog Member

Sounds like a great trip- you will be a pro by the third night. As others have mentioned, before you go- practicing putting it up and down, and checking the tires/wheels for safety is a great idea. Everything else will be just fine. If you can handle childbirth and child raising, a Pup is no problem!

10. jerry_ma

jerry_ma Member

Welcome from Massachusetts.

Sounds like you have a good game plan. If you have propane lanterns and stoves you can buy a propane tree that sits on top on the 20 pound tank.

If you have coleman fuel make sure the pump works and bring some oil with you (neatsfoot oil recommended) A couple gallons of coleman fuel lasts a bit and is small enough.

And don't forget mantles (the white socks) and a lot of extras as they break.

Have fun camping
    Jerry in MA