Hi from GA!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Wanderers, Jan 31, 2019.

1. southern gal

southern gal New Member

Hi - we actually haven't been there before. It comes highly recommended from a friend of ours so we are excited to check it out. I will try to remember to let you know about it when we return.

2. geologist1

geologist1 New Member

We spent 2 nights there during Spring Break (last week). We really enjoyed the park! Weather was perfect during our visit (clear skies and 50 degrees) so bugs were not an issue. Just make sure you have all your groceries etc because it is a drive to the nearest store. I'll post some photos etc under "let me tell about my trip".

3. southern gal

southern gal New Member

Thanks! I’ll check it out. I hope the bugs are still not an issue. We are looking forward to it.

4. John Bedsole

John Bedsole New Member

Welcome to the group. I am just finishing a rebuild on a Dutchmen . Live in Alpharetta.

5. southern gal

southern gal New Member

Fishman1 - We just returned yesterday from Stephen C. Foster State Park. First of all, the comments from the others are accurate. You are out in the middle of nowhere and then you turn off that road and travel 17 miles down a road to the park. There is nothing around to buy supplies other than a camp store that is only open until 5:00 p.m. You do definitely want to be stocked up. We had a great visit at the park. We had accidentally reserved a handicapped spot (because I had chosen one close to the bathhouse). I would not have done that if I had realized it. It was spot 23. Spot 26 looked great as it was a pull through, shady and still very close to the bathhouse (but not too close). Spots are private. The mosquitos were out a little and as it gets warmer, I am sure they will be worse. Take bug spray! The park has boats you can rent and they have a guided tour that goes out three times a day. We enjoyed the boardwalk near the store and we took the latest guided tour since it was chilly in the morning. We knew more gators would be out when it was warm. We were not disappointed. We saw more than we could keep count of. Being out on the water was so peaceful and beautiful. While we were driving in to the park we saw several wild turkeys and from the campground, we saw deer a distance away and we saw a couple of snakes crossing the road yesterday as we were leaving. The stars were breathtaking at night. We had clear nights the whole time we were there and we could walk a short distance to an opening and see millions of stars. That alone makes this campground stand out. The bathhouse on the female side was nice and clean. My husband said the male side left something to be desired. One of the toilets was stopped up for half of our visit. It also was more crowded. I guess there were more guys camping. Our only other complaint was that someone had dug a couple of holes/trenches in our site that made it more hazardous. We covered the holes the best we could without a shovel and made a mental note to buy one of those small folding ones to put in the camper. I would definitely go back but I wouldn't go in the summer as I am sure it would be rather miserable with heat and insects....

Fishman1 likes this.
  6. Fishman1

Fishman1 Member

Thanks.it sounds like y’all had a good time. The report is both appreciated and helpful. We are looking forward to being there.

southern gal likes this.