Hi! Getting a free 89 coleman Williamsburg worth it???

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Roxygrrl, May 10, 2015.

1. raindog308

raindog308 New Member

Something to budget for is new tires. If they're over 5 years old, they need to be replaced and you'll need to do the bearings almost certainly as well (this is not huge). Tires are $75-100 and there's three of them, so that's $225-300.

2. Ken1967

Ken1967 Can't wait to Camp!

When you looked at it did he have it set up? Then would be the time to assess how badly damaged it is... and then decide if it is worth fixing.
    You can often patch canvas and screens. If roof is not restorable I would walk away.

[PU]

3. Roxygrrl

Roxygrrl New Member

My husband still has been unable to get there. (It's like 2 hours away) So we are just going to go for it. Our buddy has a flatbed and is just going to grab it for us on his next run that way. We will the assess the damage (hopefully with your help) then decided if she is worth parts or scrap heaven. Will update soon with photos. I don't have high hopes anymore....

4. JT2

JT2 Member

Roxy: check your PM's (personal msg's).

JT

5. mickaqua

mickaqua Member

There is no mention of the lift system working. [:O]

Good luck there, and overall. [:!]

6. tjmama

tjmama Member

I really hope this works for you!

7. pckeen

pckeen New Member

Cool - let us know.

8. Roxygrrl

Roxygrrl New Member

Well the willy is all set to be delivered next wens. Then today out of nowhere my neighbor pulls out a pop up from behind his house and says "you know anyone who wants a camper"? Well hmm me maybe? It's 1994 coleman pioneer Chesapeake . We are opening it tomorrow to see the inside. From outside I can say their is no roof sag and it seems to be in fair condition. So within one week I may now have two pop ups? Anyone have a 94? Is that abs roof? Maybe some parts from one can make the other who knows! Post pictures of 94 tomorrow

9. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

No not ABS. That started in '96

Have fun with the unveiling and post pictures!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. BeachBound

BeachBound New Member

Roxygrrl, you have some luck! I hope at least one camper works out and that we get to see the pics. :)

11. Roxygrrl

Roxygrrl New Member

Ok so here is free pop up number 2 it's a 1994 coleman pioneer Chesapeake and it has sat for ten years till today. It amazingly only had ants. No mold I could find or smell. Floor felt solid. Roof has a tiny hole. Canvas is in amazing shape needs to be washed and a small hole to be sewn. But otherwise???? Think we are atill getting the willy and see what parts we can use. Crazy week! Sorry these photos are not great I was multitasking a toddler

Attached Files:

12. Roxygrrl

Roxygrrl New Member

Just some sand to clean off canvas from the ants but again amazingly good condition

Attached Files:

13. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I got carpenter ants inside the top on one PUP, they made a big mess, I closed it down and set off 3 insect bombs, when I opened it they were still there, it took several times and many insect bombs to finally eradicate the nest.

14. Roxygrrl

Roxygrrl New Member

Yeah we are going to start the bombing tomorrow. Anyone have this model camper? Like it? Dislike? Things to look out for?

15. Roxygrrl

Roxygrrl New Member

Also does anyone know if this is sunbrella canvas??? Thank you!!!

16. jeeper88

jeeper88 Let's go Camping and Jeepin

Yes it does look like sunbrella canvas. If im wrong correct me guys.

17. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

I think you've found your camper.

Based on the pictures you posted and comments you made, I wouldn't even consider rebuilding the first one; you can buy a camper ready to camp for what you'd end up spending and (depending on how motivated you are and how much time you have to devote to the rebuild) you could be a month or two or even a year rebuilding it.

Personally, I'd get the first one home and see what I could use, then sell the parts off of it to either fund refurb and upgrades to the second one or fund my camping trips.

G'luck!
    Belch

18. tjmama

tjmama Member

You are so lucky to be in this situation! First one is pretty rough with that asb roof. Second one needs a good cleaning but wow, at least the pica look like its in great shape. Check behind the canvas on the roof sides to check for rot and mold. Otherwise, clean it up and go camping! Great find! [CP]

19. Roxygrrl

Roxygrrl New Member

Thanks all we are very excited. The pioneer needs small stuff that I think we can take from the willy. (Spare tire, curtain hooks, maybe an ac?? Electric brakes?? Idk but feel pretty lucky I was home the day my neighbor pulled this out!! If it is sunbrella fabric is their anything someone recommends for cleaning it? I read somewhere that you need to use gentler cleaning products? Thank you all again for help. I will post willy pictures too when we get it just for comparison

20. jeeper88

jeeper88 Let's go Camping and Jeepin

google sunbrella and they will tell you what to clean your fabric with