Hickory Run SP in Pa and "bears?"

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania' started by NY G-Men Fan, Mar 4, 2012.

1. NY G-Men Fan

NY G-Men Fan New Member

I have a trip planned for Memorial Day weekend at Hickory Run SP in Pa. The reservation website had the message about bears and following the proper rules. I have never camped in bear country before and have some concerns. I plan on using all of the proper precautions, but is it going to take away some of the enjoyment from the usual camping experience. Just curious if anyone has camped here before and how their trips went. I have camped mostly on Long Island, NY and there are obviously no bears.

2. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

Please post up a review for this park after your trip. We haven't been there yet.

Hopefully someone will respond to your request for information.

3. Snotsucker

Snotsucker 2009 Rockwood HW

There were a few bear encounters (not considered attacks because no one was injured, but easily could have been) in Hickory Run SP back in '05 and '07. Nothing since then. I'm sure if you follow the rules, you will have a great time. Maybe a little more work than usual, but in the end it will be worth it. Enjoy your trip!

4. NY G-Men Fan

NY G-Men Fan New Member

Thanks, I appreciate the input.

5. SmilinBeard

SmilinBeard Member

I visited years ago as a tent camper. I remember hitting great berry patches, but you'll be their too early in the season. The run is very pretty. Don't miss the boulder field. I've seen three and this is the most impressive.

6. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I camp in bear country almost all of the time and have done so most of my life. Just follow the rules including not cooking, eating or storing food in the PUP and not leaving food, coolers, etc. out when you are away from the campsite.

7. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

It shouldn't take away from your enjoyment. Observe basic precautions and the campground rules and you will be fine. We camp amidst bears and see them fairly often. We actually enjoy observing them, but we make sure not to leave food about, or visible inside vehicles, etc. It's their ecosystem, too.

Far, far more Americans die of bee stings than bear attacks.

8. fritz_monroe

fritz_monroe New Member

I'm with the others. Store food and coolers in the TV. We camped for the first time in active bear territory last year. It takes a little bit of an adjustment to not store the food in the pup, but using totes, milk crates and the like make it easy to get the food that you need for certain meals out of the TV when it is time to cook.

9. NY G-Men Fan

NY G-Men Fan New Member

Sounds good. Thank you for the advice. Looking forward to a nice trip.

10. mred

mred 2008 Fleetwood Avalon, 2001 f350

Camp at Hickory Run often as it is just a hour from our house. We have seen Bears but never an issue. Just make sure you check out the Shades of Death Trail, Boulder Feild, and the Water Falls. Great Place!! Have fun [:D] [:D]

11. rikster66

rikster66 New Member

Tent camped there last summer. and based on all the signage I was "concerned" about the bears too. While I am sure there are plenty of bears there and they may sometimes cause troubles I was quite disappointed to not see a single one in or out of camp. Don't miss the waterfall.

12. haverwillie

haverwillie New Member

We have camped at Hickory Run SP at least 2X a year for the past 30 years. It is one of our favorites! I saw a bear there way back when I was a kid but nothing until last year. We were at a park ranger's talk about beavers and a BIG black bear came through the campground! Got the ol' heart racing but some dingbat was chasing it [:(!] so it was running away pretty quick. The hiking trails there are wonderful and the facilities are older but well maintained.

13. steved

steved New Member

Wasn't there a 13 year old kid mauled here a couple years ago?

We camped here a couple times, the ticks are really bad if you happen to hike their trails. We didn't see any bears while we were there, but it was shortly after our stay when the kid got mauled.

14. 2StarDogs

2StarDogs New Member

We camped at Hickory Run several weeks ago (early August 2013). After reading reviews online and in a guidebook to PA parks, I was expecting something like Jellystone Park with bears ravaging picnic baskets everywhere. I expected the park rangers to ensure that everyone was very careful with food, etc. When we checked in, they asked (1) do you have any alcohol (this being Pennsylvania), and (2) do you have any pets (which we did, since we were camping in a pet area). No mention of bears at all. We were careful with food/cooking management anyway (that's always a good idea), but at that time it did not seem to be a big deal.

15. popup 61

popup 61 Member

I live about 10 minutes from the state park. As with our garbage cans at home , we dont leave anything out while camping there either. There are plenty of bears in the area in excess of 300 lbs and up, but they usually mind there own business unless you give them reason to come calling.....

16. SmilinBeard

SmilinBeard Member

We were there, a few weeks back, in late August.

We didn't see any, nor did we see sign. That differed from our experience at Matthews Arm in Shenandoah NP. There you had to watch your step to avoid their scat. One was spotted within sight of our campsite.

That's not to say we didn't practice our due diligence, and kept even toothpaste and deodorant locked up in the SUV.