Hidden storage for valuables?

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by Doctorphate, Dec 26, 2016.

1. sea-piner

sea-piner Member

HAH! I am in California too. My DW is always on me to use the cloth bags--its hard to teach this dog new tricks. Even though we now have to pay for the plastic bags, I still forget to bring the cloth ones in from the car. So I don't get in trouble with the DW, I put everything back in the cart and then bag is at the car!

2. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

That's brilliant..

3. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

I lock the door when we go hiking for the day!

4. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I don't even think my door has a lock. Even so, the rest of the trailer is just held shut by Velcro. Although getting in any way other than the door would probably get some unwanted attention.

5. HiFiDave

HiFiDave Singin round the campfire

As I mentioned in this thread...

http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=104027.0

Go ahead walk into my trailer, dig around if you can LOL. The 130 db motion alarm is gawd dam painful I tell ya. Scary too! Hard to localize the source to find it as it is so, so ridiculously loud. All you want to do is get the hail away from it I tell ya.

6. R00

R00 Active Member

Disconnect the battery?

7. HiFiDave

HiFiDave Singin round the campfire

Well, if you can stand it long enough to find the device to take out the battery, sure...go for it. Again, it's real hard to localize in the confined space of the camper. My ears couldn't take it.

8. Orchid

I feel sorry for any of your camping neighbors if that ever goes off by accident.

9. johnj1957

johnj1957 New Member

They caught a guy a few years ago who had been burglarizing campsites in the eastern Sierras for several years.
    They were almost all things left outside and went missing during the night while the campers slept. I would assume that the campers that had a dog or person sleeping outside suffered fewer losses.
    http://www.sierrawave.net/suspect-arrested-theft-spree/

10. Kybrowns1

Kybrowns1 New Member

Camping in the smokies a guy got his Honda generator stolen while I was there. This is the only time I have personally heard about something stolen at a campground. He was camping in a c class camper by the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Orchid

[:O] This guy was 69 years old! No wonder he got away with it so long. Probably wasn't noticed that much. I wonder if he had some sort of mental problem? Nobody needs all that stuff, and he wasn't selling it. Weird.

My doggies sleep inside the camper, but are very much on high alert. I had to put a slider lock on the door so they can't bust through the door after animals in the night.

12. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

i follow a tiny homes forum, and a man had his entire rig stolen from his slot while he was gone overnight! Christmas weekend.
    so. nothing is really safe.
    that said, we all can look around our units and know of empty spaces. the little steps up to the beds. underneath a flip over galley. behind the privy? inside the bench seats. how much space do you need to secure "X"?
    will it fit in a wood cigar box with latch? my unit has the front storage compartment, with a teeny door access from inside.
    but, i camp so low budget, thieves ignore me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. Orchid

[LOL] That's how I see us too. There's nothing in there that would be worth money to anyone else. Actually, they could follow us home, clean out the house and still get nothing much. [;)]